Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Thinking, remembering and contemplating

At this time of year it's natural for people to reflect on past years, contemplate what's in store for the coming year(s), and start thinking about any changes they may want to make in their lives. I know I personally spend a lot of time between the Celtic New Year (November 1st) and the official New Year thinking about things in my past, present and future. I suppose having my birthday during that time probably contributes to the fact I feel reflections, contemplations and thoughts of the future are necessary this time of year. With the events of this past year - in particular those of the past few months - still clearly felt in my family, this year especially has been one where I have spent a lot of time just thinking. I have especially found myself dwelling on past holidays. It's OK though, I don't plan on taking trips down memory lane in this post. Apart from anything else, that would take way too long and make this post longer than my longest "essay" style posts from the past, and I'm sure right now most people don't have the time to read those really long and rambling posts. Anyway, amid my musings I all but ignored the blogs, deciding instead to sit and think in between watching Christmas movies and eating sweet mince pies. I sorted out a few things in my head that I needed to sort out, made a few plans I needed to make, blah, blah, blah. So, basically what I'm trying to say here is... Sorry I've not been around the blogs properly lately, but I've been wrapped up with some things I've needed to think about, and watching Christmas movies. Oh, and from time to time I've managed to get some sleep too, but only in short naps. That's the trouble with thinking. It makes switching down to go to sleep impossible, so contributes to making an already irregular sleeping pattern even worse than it was before you started thinking.

I know that some people find this time of year difficult, and that others who might not have before hand may have had something happen recently to change that. Those people have been - and will remain - in my thoughts. I'm not really the praying kind, or they would also be in my prayers. But I want you all to know that I'm thinking of you and your family at this time, and that - for those of you in need of it - I am sending you hugs. I would do more if I could, but all I can do is offer thoughts and hugs. If the holidays are hard for you, then please know that there is someone out there who is thinking about you, especially if you are going through a tough time at the moment.

Also, if it's as cold with you as it is here, then please try to keep warm!

7 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Hugs.

You have a lot to think about and a lot "coming at you".

I too, get contemplative when the days grow short around my birthday and it remains until after the new year rolls in. This year has been ... a bit of a struggle heathwise - with some mental ups and downs... but on the whole - there have been better and there have been worse.

Its been bitter cold here - well down into the teens (F) but it supposed to warm up some and we've avoided the snow so far (being the one that has to shovel - I am very thankful about that!)

Toriz said...

Iggy:
I agree... There have been better, and there have been worse.

We don't bother shoveling the snow... It's much more fun grabbing handfuls of it and turning it in to a snowman. :) (Besides, it's rare for us to get deep enough snow to make it worth bothering with shoveling).

Deanna said...

It is good to reflect on where you've been and where you are going. And it is important to take care of yourself. Just take care of yourself and stay warm also. They are calling for sleet here this evening. I hope they are wrong. Hugs!

Rita said...

I always get that way between Christmas and New Years every year. I think it's a good thing to contemplate where your life is headed and where you've been, too. :)

Good thoughts are prayers to me. ;)

I hope you start sleeping better soon. Being over tired is no fun! And that 2011 will be a fantastic year for you both! :):)

Toriz said...

Deanna:
You take care of yourself too!

Rita:
Yes, I suppose good thoughts and prayers aren't really all that much different from one another.

I hope 2011 is a good year for you too!

AliceKay said...

This past week has been a hard week for my family and me. We still have tonight and tomorrow to get thru and then the toughest part will be over. Thank you for the thoughts you were sending our way. They are just as good as prayers. *hugs*

And thank you, too, for the Christmas card. It came in yesterday's mail. *hugs again*

Toriz said...

You're very welcome AK! *Hugs*