Thursday, January 13, 2011

new year, new resolutions or lists

We're not usually big on making a fuss on New Year's Eve. When I was in my teens we usually had some kind of a New Year's Eve party, and some of my family - such as Mam, Wayne and Carl - like to do something special to celebrate (some kind of party, some time at the pub with friends, etc). But Kelly and I aren't big on parties, and we don't drink alcahol any more, so we aren't usually eager to join in with the celebrating. In fact, most of the time seeing in the new year for us involves just a normal evening, only with e-mails and texts sent out to say, "happy new year," to friends and family when we hit midnight.


This year we did even less than usual though. I think my being ill had something to do with it... In fact, I know it did. Anyway, this year I switched my phone off, sent out the e-mails early, and just went to bed. It was the following morning before I turned on my phone again and sent out the text messages. My phone went mental when I turned it on, with text messages galore that would have come through during the night if my phone hadn't been switched off. Actually, that's why I switched it off. I usually never switch it off (if it's off, it means the battery died and I haven't managed to get an oppertunity to charge it yet), but I was having enough issues with sleep because of how I was feeling, and I didn't want to be woken by texts if I finally did get to sleep.

Anyway...

I don't actually make new year's resolutions, but I do usually make, "things I would like to achieve this year," type of lists. I don't make any resolutions, because I figure if I don't make them, I can't break them. The reason I say, "usually," about the lists though is because this year I didn't even really bother with the list. I'm thinking that probably had something to do with how I was feeling too... It's kind of difficult to think about things like to do lists when you're busy alternating between struggling to breathe and feeling like you swallowed a razor blade and a lit match. There are a few things I hope to achieve this year, obviously, but mostly just the things I've been trying to get in the habbit of doing for some time, and put on my list every year for the past couple of years. Things like eating healthier, working on my writing more often, etc. Anyway, if you made any resolutions or lists, then I hope you manage to keep the resolutions, and/or achieve the goals on your goals for this year list.

7 comments:

AliceKay said...

Happy New Year, Tori. *hugs*

I know I said it to you before, but I felt it was right to say it again. :)

Toriz said...

AK:
Well, with the theme of the post, I think it's appropriate. :)

Deanna said...

I hope the new year brings you renewed health. You have been dealing with not feeling well for a long time - it is time you get some relief, and some sleep.

Toriz said...

Deanna:
Here here!

Rita said...

I make my guideline list of goals and am happy if I can check off half of them by the end of the year. ;)

I don't drink anymore either. Haven't for about 18-19 years. I like my quiet new year's greetings. Very much. :)

Hope this is a really good year for you--on every level. :):)

Intense Guy said...

Happy New Year!! (I think Chinese New Year is coming up soon)

I really hope you are feeling much better today!

Toriz said...

Rita:
Yeah, even half the list is good! :)

I hope this year is a good one for you too!

Iggy:
Yes, I think it's the end of the month some time?

I'm mostly better now. Just feeling really drained, and not feeling like doing much. The cough and sniffly nose are mostly gone now thoughh. How are you?