Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Thoughts on eating habits (FD)

As I mentioned yesterday, nothing exciting is happening lately, so I'm sorry if you find today's post boring. It's what's on my mind though, and what I've been thinking about a lot lately, so I'm going to post about it anyway. If you don't want to read about it, that's up to you. But this is my blog, and this is the topic I've chosen for today.

I think this is a common thing to do this time of year, but I've been looking at what I eat, what I don't eat, how much of it I have, etc. I think my Mam would like me to join Weight Watchers with her and Jane, but I don't do well with diets. I'm one of those people who does well for a while, then I'll start missing something I wasn't meant to be eating, then I'll decide I can have some as a treat, but I'll go mad eating the forbidden item so much that I end up putting on every bit of weight I lost, plus a load of weight that wasn't there before. I've tried diet after diet, and it's always the same. So, I'm taking a different approach and just looking at what I eat and doing a few tweaks to make any changes required to make my eating habits a little healthier, but without saying I can't have certain items. I need to be able to have that bar of chocolate I'm craving, or that cake that calls out to me as I walk past the bakery. So, I spent the last couple of weeks writing down everything I had to eat or drink so that I could properly evaluate my eating habits. To be honest, all this actually did was to confirm what I already knew, but in a strange sort of way it helped to have the information written down. Like the confirmation was what I needed to be able to make myself do something about the nasty eating habits I'd gotten in to in recent months.

The biggest issue I have is a snacking issue. When I'm bored, fed up, whatever, I snack on something. This wouldn't be much of a big deal, only I'd gotten in to the habbit of buying snack items that are probably not the best things to have in plentiful supply, and had gotten out of the habit of having healthier snacks on hand. So, I need to swap the biscuits/cookies, crisps and chocolates for fruity snacks (be they fresh fruit, dried fruit, fruit yogurts, or whatever). I did at one point have a plentiful supply of non-perishable, relatively healthy, fruity snacks available, and some fresh fruit on hand to snack on too. But in recent months I've let myself get out of the habit of doing that. So, I guess I need to get back in the habit of doing it. To help me with that one I had my Mam take me to Asda to buy a few bits. Most of the stuff is meant for childrens' lunch boxes, but I don't see why adults can't have them as well. Things like banana chips, little packets of raisins, and strawberry and oat chewy bars. Some of them say, "one of your five a day," on the packets, so at least they count as fruit portions, so when I'm snacking, at least I'm getting an extra portion of fruit in at the same time. And most of them are at least mostly just the pure fruit, so that's definately got to be better for me than things like chocolate bars and such. Like I mentioned above though, I have no intention of not having chocolate bars at all. No. My intention is simply to have healthier options more readily available to me than not-so-healthy options, then - when I'm looking for something to snack on - it will be fruity snacks not chocolate bars that appear beneath my fingers when my hands are exploring my treat tub for something tasty to snack on. Obviously, if it's something new that I haven't tasted before I'm just getting a small amount to sample, because I'm not going to want to eat it if I don't like it (like the date and apple chewy bars Emma-Jane and I tried last week, and neither of us liked) but I've managed to sort out a nice variety of things that I do like, so I have plenty to choose from.

My other issue is drinks. I used to buy a load of small bottles and cartons of stuff, because then I drank more, and I also often grabbed one of them instead of a snack. I make such a mess when pouring from full cartons and bottles that if I finish up a carton or bottle then even if I'm thirsty I'll often decide I can't be bothered with sorting myself a drink. But, when I have small bottles and cartons I can just grab and drink from, it's so much easier to just grab one. So, I've got a load of small cartons and bottles again. I know this means more cartons and bottles to throw out, but we recycle them, so at least that's not so bad. Besides, you need a certain amount of fluid throughout the day to keep your body healthy, so... Whatever works, right? So, I've got a load of little bottles of water and cartons of fruit juice for myself to drink.

For the next few weeks I'm going to keep track of what I eat again, and we'll see if my food diary looks better with these little changes I've made. They aren't huge changes, but I think they will probably make at least a little difference. Whether they'll make any difference to my weight, I don't know. I'm hoping they will. But - if nothing else - they should at least make a bit of difference to how healthy my eating habits are.

6 comments:

Aunt of 14 said...

I don't do well on diets either. I don't know if you want to hear helpful tips or not, so if you don't then disregard the following. Try to get at least 60 grams of protein a day. That is NOT easy. If it means adding a protein drink, so be it (I have a chocolate drink that has 30 grams of protein per serving. Makes it easy, and it doesn't taste bad either.)

And during a meal, eat the protein portions first. The meat, the cheese, the whatever protein first, then the carbs/starches last. The idea is the protein should fill you up so that you won't want to finish the carbs. Thats what has been working for me the past six months. And usually, it is best to start off your day with protein, but thats hard to do too.

Secondly, I HATE exercising. I just am not motivated. The Dr said just do enough to make your heart race, then you can stop. Sometimes it takes 3 mins, sometimes more depending on what you do. Eventually you'll build up, but you can start that way.

Rita said...

Sounds like a good plan. I don't do well with diets, either. And because of my various health issues, I can't really exercise more than a few minutes of something gentle or it sets off my fibro. Home 24/7--I am so sedentary that I swear I can gain weight just waking up in the morning.

Since I only have groceries delivered once a month, I try to just order healthier foods most of the time. If I don't order it, it's not here for me to eat. I only eat once or twice a day, not normally a snacker--prefer "food-food" but eat too big of portions. I could probably get by on a tablespoon of food a day for as active as I am--ROFL!!

Writing down everything you eat would really make you aware of everything you consume, that's for sure. I've done that before, too. It's hard. I wish you the best of luck. Nikki had some good ideas there, too. Let us know how it goes. :)

AliceKay said...

I've been snacking on lots of things lately that aren't good for me. I know it but still do it. I keep telling myself that come warmer weather, I'll get some pounds off. Exercising isn't easy for me either with my neck problems and scoliosis, but I'm pretty active during my day so it's not like I'm not moving around. (i probably walk up and down the hallway in my trailer a good 30 to 40 times a day) Walking is good exercise, but I need some stretching exercises for my back. I haven't gone for physical therapy like I was advised to do, and really don't plan to unless I can't stand the pain any longer.

Anyway...this post wasn't boring; it was interesting. It will also be interesting to hear how your food diary helps. Good luck.

*hugs*

Deanna said...

Way to go Tori! You are doing what works well for you. Keeping track of what you eat is a huge step in being able to identify what you are eating wrong. You've already figured that part out and are taking steps to fix it. There are a lot of small packages of snacks that are 100 calories available. I like them because you know exactly how much you've eaten, your craving is taken care of, and you aren't as tempted to eat more than you should because you have to consciously open another package.

Keep up the good job! You can do it!

Intense Guy said...

I just shovelled a big parking lot by hand, I think a chocolate snack would be ok...

:)

But I'm with you Tori - I eat when I'm bored - and eat whatever is around... and with Diabetes that isn't good..

Hugs - I bet we could encourage each other and cheer each other on - like Punkn says - it would be postive reinforcement and a nice thing for a friend to do.

Toriz said...

Nikki:
Yes, tips are always helpful. I'm happy to accept tips and advice, then I can see what works for me and what doesn't. I'll bear your advice in mind.

Exercising is an issue for me too. Partly because it's difficult for me to do, partly because it's difficult for me to get motivated to do what I can actually do of it, if you know what I mean.

Rita:
I feel that way about how easily I gain weight too. ;)


Kelly does the shopping most of the time, and only gets what I ask him to. The problem is that I've gotten in to a nasty habit of asking him for things I probably shouldn't, and in quantities I definately shouldn't.


Yeah, I'll keep you posted.

AK:
Sounds like you have a similar sort of issue to me... Exercise isn't easy, and you've gotten in to bad eating habits that you know you shouldn't, but you still continue with.

I'm glad you found the post interesting. Yeah, I'll let you know how it goes.

Deanna:
Those are the kinds of things I've gotten for myself. Relatively low on calories, and small portions so that it's more difficult to unconciously eat more than planned.

And... Thanks! :)

Iggy:
Yeah, I think after that much work even a diabetic would be OK to have a chocolate bar. ;)

With or without diabetes it isn't good. But I think it's a common problem really.

Yes, I'm sure we could encourage each other and cheer each other on. :)