Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunday walk musings

Our clocks went forward this morning. I have no idea why the clocks change here on a different week to when they do in the US and Canada, but there you go!

Anyway, I didn't get much sleep last night so was up, dressed, done with chores, etc, by 8:30 am new time and figured I'd go ahead and walk Kero early. Man was it quiet out there! The only sounds - until just as I was getting home - were the river, the birds, and the scraping sort of sound my cane tip makes as it rolls back and forth across the path (I was wearing my plimsoles, so they weren't making a noise). Even for a Sunday that was quiet!

Not that I'm complaining... It was nice having my walk in peace, listening to the birds singing all around me, and the river - still quite high from all the snow then rain we had - roaring as it rushes past. And with the sun shining too... And the smell of the grass and dirt - still damp with the morning dew - it was a pretty good way to start the day!

The first sign of another human being was just as I was coming back off the path to walk the short distance from the entrance to the path to our gate. Someone came out of their front door, got in their car, and drove away. I thought it was a shame. Not that they were disturbing my peace and solitude - though that was a shame - but that they were going wherever they were going by car on such a nice morning instead of walking.

6 comments:

LadyStyx said...

Sounds like a wonderful walk.

One must wonder where that person was going and why they had to drive. Might have been too far to walk or maybe they just don't get around quite like they used to. ;)

Rita said...

Sounds like a glorious walkie! Makes me smile just to picture you and Kero out rambling about in your spring weather. :)

Lynn said...

Sounds like a peaceful walk to me indeed, I need a walk like that, Im glad you got one and you enjoyed it.

AliceKay said...

Sounds like a great way to start the day. I know how you rely on the sounds around you. I'm glad you had that time to be in tune with nature. :)

Intense Guy said...

I enjoy how the grass changes smells... from wet to sunbaked to composting to freshly mowed.

Sounds like you are really enjoying those walkies!! Its nice to be able to walk to places.

Toriz said...

Yes, it was a nice walk. :)

Styxie:
Oh, I'm sure the person had valid reasons for driving... Travelling too far, can't walk far, picking up someone who can't walk far, going shopping and needed the car to bring the food back... All valid reasons! Still, it was a shame they were going by car... Regardless of the reason for it!