Thursday, March 31, 2011

Words about walks

It's days like today when getting out there for a walk is least inviting. The miserable weather doesn't exactly cry out, "come outside," and I must have slept awkwardly last night or something, because I woke up with a lot of pain in my hip. I still went though... Actually, I've been for two walks so far today! As it turned out, the walk first thing this morning loosened up my hip from whatever cramped position I had it in while I was sleeping, so that helped me to find some enthusiasm for going for a second walk.

There have been a few other times when it's been very tempting to just not bother. But I've gone anyway. I know if I let myself start making excuses then it will start becoming a habit to make excuses, and I'll gradually do it more and more until I'm back to where I was a few weeks ago. Which is somewhere I don't want to be!

It helps that telling Kero I'm "going to put my socks and shoes on," or that I'm going to take him for "walkies" once I've finished whatever I'm doing means I have little choice but to go. If I say either of those things he goes nuts, and alternates between yapping excitedly, jumping up at me, trying to push or pull me in the direction of the door, and running to the door and throwing himself against it. And he wont stop until we're going for our walk. I'd like to see anyone manage to avoid going for a walk with that happening... I know it doesn't work for me! So, if I start thinking, "I should walk Kero... But I really don't want to," then I just tell him we're going, and he makes sure I don't change my mind. Well, whatever works, right? LOL!

8 comments:

Rita said...

That is so funny! Kero is really helping you out with the exercising. Good boy, Kero! And I'm sure he loves you all the more for all these extra exciting times in the big world. ;)

Celticspirit said...

Good for you for taking all those walks. I think Kero knows what is best for you and wants to make sure you take him for nice long walkies. :) Congrats on the weight loss as well. That is wonderful!

Furry Bottoms said...

Hehe, Kero's so cute. Congrats on the weight loss!!!

Freddy has developed a thing. He really wants to go outside, but doesn't like the holster anymore. So he'll get all excited anout going outside.... except he will keep walking away when you try to put the holster on him. It's become a game to him! I want to know how that started!!

Intense Guy said...

:)

Kero is a smart little doggy and a wonderful help mate.

p.s., It is really nice to see CelticSpirit around again!

AliceKay said...

Yep, whatever works. :)

Deanna said...

Kero is my hero! What a great dog - Mr. Incentive. Love it.

Keep on walking. Yea you!

Lynn said...

I really need to walk more myself, when my dog knows she gets to go on a walk she goes nuts also lol

Toriz said...

Rita:
Yes, I'm sure he loves me for it! And judging by his weight, he could use the extra walkies too... He's got a couple of pounds he needs off!

Barb:
Hey! Welcome back! Missed seeing you on the blogs!

Thanks! :)

Nikki:
Thanks! :)

Kero's started that with his coat. Used to love wearing it, but now - all of a sudden - he's started backing away from it and being reluctant to wear it. Still, at least he can go without his coat most of the time... Not sure what you're meant to do about Freddy's "game"... Except play along.

Iggy:
Yep, he's a good little helper! He's learned to guide me between the scaffolding poles so we don't have to wait on others to go for our walks now too!

*Nods in agreement* Yes, it is nice to see Celticspirit around again!

AK:
Thanks! Glad you agree! ;)

Deanna:
Thanks! :)

Lynn:
Well, maybe your dog can help you like Kero is helping me?