Friday, January 27, 2012

Books of fairytales and fantasies

I have a couple more reviews for you again today. Here you go:

"The Tales of Beedle the Bard" by J K Rowling
I have no page to link to for this one, since all websites seem to say is, "A collection of wizarding fairytales," which I can tell you just fine myself. Anyway, this is the collection of wizarding fairytales that Hermione Granger is given by Albus Dumbledore in the final Harry Potter book, and which J K Rowling made available to us. It's taken me this long to read it purely because I needed to wait until I was in a position to do so; nobody ever got around to reading it to me, and it's only recently that I discovered it in braille (I'd looked on and off since the book was published more than 4 years ago). It contains stories such as "The 3 Brothers" (the tale you can read in "Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows") and "Babbity Rabbity And Her Cackling Stump" (which Ron Weasley mentions the title of in that same book) among others. As for my personal opinion... I thought it was an amusing take on the kinds of fairytales I grew up with. I especially found the antics of the pot in "The Wizard And The Hopping Pot" amusing, and enjoyed reading the interesting - and sometimes amusing in themselves - notes that Albus Dumbledore wrote on each tale, which were published at the end of the tale they were refering to.

"Snuff" (Book 39 in the Discworld series) by Terry Pratchett:
"According to the writer of the best-selling crime novel ever to have been published in the city of Ankh-Morpork, it is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse. And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe. There are many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder. He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, and occasionally snookered and out of his mind, but never out of guile. Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment. They say that in the end all sins are forgiven. But not quite all..."

(Above taken from this page on Fantastic Fiction's website).

I absolutely love Terry Pratchett's books, and this one was no exception. Even while talking of serious things, like murder, Terry Pratchett can make you laugh. Seriously, if you haven't yet read the Discworld books, then you need to do so!

***

I've also recently re-read a book I reviewed only a couple of months ago. The book was "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield, which tells the story of Vida Winter finally telling the truth about her past. There's a lot more to it, obviously, but since I've already reviewed it not even two months ago I don't feel I need to go in to much detail. Anyway, I'm now re-reading the first of the first 5 books (I'll only be re-reading the first 5, because I don't have the 6th) in the "Kingdom Of Landover" series by Terry Brooks, which tell the story of Ben Holiday's adventures in the kingdom of Landover, which he buys after seeing an advert for a kingdom for sale in a catalogue that had arrived for his dead wife. You can tell which are my favourite books; I re-read them over and over again! ;)

8 comments:

Queenie Jeannie said...

Reading is awesome!!!! I need to remember to STOP, and just read. Preferably with a nice cup of tea and a snuggly blanket! Hugs!

Toriz said...

Jeannie:
Absolutely! You should definately take time to do that!

Furry Bottoms said...

The Thirteenth Tale really took you for a loop at the end, didn't it? It was like WHAT?!

Rita said...

So glad you enjoy them enough to read them over and over. :):)
Stay warm!

AliceKay said...

They sound like pretty good books. I'm glad you're enjoying reading them. :)

Toriz said...

Nikki:
*Nods in agreement*

Rita:
Thanks; you stay warm too!

AK:
Thanks! :)

Intense Guy said...

Oh good heavens... "out of bacon sandwiches"??!?!? That has to be a great book!

:)

Toriz said...

Iggy:
All of Terry Pratchett's books are fantastic. You REALLY need to read them!