Monday, July 16, 2012

Book: Made Up

Made UpMade Up by Emma Jackson

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was an enjoyable read. My interest was captured from the start and held throughout the book. Also, the characters were well rounded and I quickly became atatched enough to them to be eager to learn more, want to cry for them when things were tough, and want to laugh with them when things were going well for them. A well written book, which was a pleasure to read!

I’ve mentioned in the past issues with too much cursing in books. Well, I can honestly tell you that wasn’t an issue here. Some was present, but not enough to spoil the story.

5 comments:

laurie said...

very interesting, our local library may have this, I'll check it out

That corgi :) said...

interesting that it takes place in India; I'm not sure I ever read a book that took place there; might have to check it out! glad you liked it!

betty

Magaly Guerrero said...

Now I'm intrigued about the cursing in books... care to explain? For instance, I'm annoyed when violence, sex, cursing and any other element is just used to shock, but when they further the plot it doesn't bother me at all.

Does all cursing in literature bother you? Or just things that seem not to belong in the mouth of the characters?

Hugs!

Toriz said...

Laurie:
I'm not sure they will, since it was an indipendant author that the book came from; via Smashwords.

Betty:
Some of it was set in India, some elsewhere. It was interesting though.

Mags:
Well, to be honest, I prefer when it doesn't happen at all. However, if used sparingly, and in situations where you can understand the use of it, I can ignore it. In this book, for example,, it was only used from time to time, and then in situations that would be justified in real life (such as in periods of extreme frustration). I've read books where it feels as though at least one word in every sentence is a curse word, and those are the ones where it's spoiled for me by the cursing. But - as I said - if it's used sparingly I can look past it and enjoy the story regardless.

AliceKay said...

It seems to have mostly positive reviews. I'm glad you enjoyed the book.