Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Olympic torch - July 17th 2012

As I mentioned yesterday, the Olympic torch passed through here on Tuesday July 17th. It actually passed literally a couple of streets away from where we live. From what I can gather it’s been all over the UK recently, with a few more stops to make before finally arriving in London for – if I’m not mistaken – Friday July 27th.

Look, give me a break, it's sports and I don't really have any interest in sports.  Just be glad I even knew when it was coming through here and leave it at that, LOL!

Anyway, Kelly went to watch it pass and take photos, but I stayed home with the dogs (we figured it would be easier with the crowds of people that would be lining the streets to see it pass). While he was out there he took these photos:


















And he got given this flag type thing, which he brought home to give to me:



















There was also a rubbery bracelet type thing, but we didn’t bother grabbing a photo of that, since we couldn’t get a shot where you could see the writing on it (something about the fact Lloyds TSB – one of the big bank branches – was sponsoring the Olympic games or something).

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the photos.

13 comments:

Deanna said...

How exciting! When the summer Olympics were in Atlanta in 1996 we took a family trip which was coincidentally at the same time as when the torch was making its way through several of the cities we were traveling through. It was fun to see the celebrations.

That corgi :) said...

I did enjoy looking at the pictures, Tori! It does look like an exciting time for all when the torch passed through! I do enjoy watching bits and pieces of most sports, including the Olympics (like the gymnastics, track events, etc).

hope you have a good day!

betty

Michael Lounsbury said...

That's pretty cool that the torch came through right where you live!

Have a great day!
Michael Lounsbury

Toriz said...

Deanna:
That must have been fun; plenty of things to entertain you on that trip!

Betty:
I used to watch some sports, but I was never big on them, and now I can't see it takes the fun out of it for me. You enjoy them though!

And, yes, I've had a good day. Hope yours is good too?

Michael:
Yes, it was very cool that it came so close... I'm glad we moved last year, because it was nowhere near this close to where we used to live!

laurie said...

what a great close up view of the excitement, he really was in the heart of it!!

AliceKay said...

Wow, that was awesome! Kelly got some great shots. I especially liked the ones where they passed the flame between the two torch bearers. Awesome!! A big thank you to Kelly for taking the pics. :) (i love sports)

Toriz said...

Laurie:
He was indeed, and I'm glad you enjoyed the photos!

AK:
Glad you enjoyed the photos, and that he got some good ones! :)

Well, you enjoy the sports then... I'm still going to skip it. ;)

Connie Mitan said...

Once in a lifetime things like this are always cool to see, even if only second-hand. Thanks for sharing Kelly's photos!
~Sunfire

Toriz said...

Connie:
You're welcome; glad you enjoyed seeing them! :)

ChicagoLady said...

Very cool that the torch came so close to your house! Kelly got some great pictures of the torch bearers and the celebration that was going on in the streets. Definitely a moment to remember.

Toriz said...

Chicago:
Indeed! I'm glad you liked the photos!

Intense Guy said...

I was just reading that Rupert Grint carried the torch a bit. I bet you would have enjoyed that!!!

Toriz said...

Iggy:
Absolutely; especially since he's my favourite of the Harry Potter cast... And one of the few I remember the names of, LOL!