Sunday, July 29, 2012

Pirate Day 2012

Sunday July 22nd was this year's Pirate Day.

Yes, that's right... Pirate Day!

See; here's the posters that were up for the event:




It's an anual thing, apparently.

People gathering together once a year to try and break the world record for the number of people in one place in pirate costumes.

Seriously... That's what it's all about.

Apparently they broke the record a couple of years ago; 2009 or 2010 it was, I think.

Anyway,

We didn't find out about it in time to be able to sort costumes and join in; well, Kero has his bandanna, but Kelly and I don't have anything pirate themed we could wear.  But we went down the beach - well, we were going for something else anyway, we just left a bit earlier - and grabbed some photos of some of the pirates who were hanging around there.  I know a certain new online friend of mine who would have been very disappointed if we hadn't. ;)

So, here are some of the pirates who were near the beach when we got down there:






Next year we're hoping to actually go and take part!

It was a nice day to be down the beach; beautiful and sunny! I bet you're wondering why I said we were going there for something else, eh? Well, guess what? I'm not going to tell you.  Well, not today anyway.  But if you come back tomorrow you'll find out! ;)

12 comments:

Parsley said...

ARRRRRRRRGH! ;-)

Toriz said...

*Chuckles at Parsley*

That corgi :) said...

What a cute thing for your town to do, Tori! I bet it draws people from miles around! I like the costumes of the pirates there and I'll definitely check back in tomorrow to see what you were originally heading down to the beach for :)

betty

Toriz said...

Betty:
Yes, it does seem to attract a lot of people; seemed like fun too, so I hope we can join in next year!

Deanna said...

That sounds like a LOT of fun! I'm with Parsley AAARGGGG... that's for making us wait to find out why you were going to the beach. I so envy you living that close to the beach.... love it!

Toriz said...

Deanna:
The beach was part of the reason we moved here... I love being so close to the beach! :)

And, you only have to wait until tomorrow...

AliceKay said...

Man, that looks like a lot of fun! Love the costumes. Looks like an absolutely gorgeous day there, too. :)

Deanna said...

That is fantastic! I'm so glad you got these pictures. I showed them to "Captain Dave" and he said that perhaps we needed to go one of these days. Yes! I've been wanting to go to England ever since I can remember and if donning my wench costume gets me there, I'm good with that. Thanks for sharing this.

Intense Guy said...

yarrrrgh matie!! ye best be gittin' yer parrot now fer the next years piratey fest!!

Smiles

Toriz said...

AK:
Yes, it was a beautiful day! And it does seem like it was a lot of fun!

Deanna:
Thought you'd like these. :)

I'll see what I can do about getting plenty of advanced notice of the date for next year, then maybe you can make it over? I bet you'd enjoy it!

Iggy:
Indeed! :)

Rhissanna said...

Hey! I lived in Eastbourne up until 8 years ago. I don't remember there being a Pirate day in Hastings or I would have been there!


Arrr...

Toriz said...

Rhissanna:
I think it started about 4 years ago; we can't find any mention of it before 2008.