Saturday, July 14, 2012

A toddler, a get well card, and a dog's new habit

Emma-Jane (my now almost 2and a half year old niece) had her ears pierced recently.  After having it done she was playing with something and accidentally hit herself on the ear with it; I think it was a mobile phone.  Anyway, she sat still for a second, took a sharp intake of breath, then calmly announced, "that hurt a bit, actually!" She then simply returned to playing with the phone as though nothing had happened.  Gotta love kids!

***

Jane (Emma-Jane's Grandmother, and a family friend) had to have surgery recently.  I don't know the details of it, but I know she's recovering well.  Anyway, I made her this card:

***

We have sash windows, and Kero's figured out that if he lays on the back of the armchair when the living room window is open he can stick his head out of it.  So when we've had nice days (which has been most of the time) he's been doing just that.  Naturally I've been making sure to only open it just enough for his head to fit comfortably, otherwise he'd probably jump out and i'd spend my entire day having to get up to go and open the door to let him back in, LOL!

Don't worry, he's perfectly safe doing it.  For one thing the window is very stiff, and doesn't move without quite a bit of effort.  For another thing I'm always right there ready to rescue him if needs be.  And, for another thing, if he did somehow manage to get out after all, the window opens out on to the fenced in courtyard area at the bottom of the steps leading up to the street (which we call our garden); he wouldn't have far to go to get to solid ground, and wouldn't be able to get far once he was out there.

12 comments:

laurie said...

out of the mouths of babes is what came to mind when I read that about your niece, what a sweetie, I laughed about the window escapades, thats one clever critter, what a lovely card, I'm sure she appreciated that so much more than one from the store, I think its the little touches like what you did that truly show we care,

Toriz said...

Laurie:
Thanks; I agree it's those little touches that count!

Out of the mouthes of babes indeed!

And, yes, Kero is a very smart dog!

Deanna said...

I love the things little ones say. That is so funny. I'll bet Kero thinks he's quite clever with his new trick. Nice card, too. I used to make all my own greeting cards but got out of the habit. I keep meaning to get back to it...one of these days.

That corgi :) said...

How cute with where Kero enjoys spending some of his day! What a funny but wise thing little Emma said! Very nice get well card you made Tori!

hope the day was a good one!

betty

Jeanie said...

I think that sounds like a great way to give Kero some air and not have to chase! And I loved Emma Jane's comment! Good for her!

Rita said...

That had to sound so cute coming out of a two-year-old's mouth--LOL! :):)

Pretty card!

Don't you have screens on your windows? We'd have so many bugs here it wouldn't be funny. Of course we live where mosquitoes and flies are always plentiful--not counting the moths this year--LOL! ;)

AliceKay said...

Emma-Jane sounds like a pretty smart (and cute) little girl. They grow up so fast.

I'm glad to hear her grandma is recovering well from her surgery.

Kero sounds like he's a curious little fellow. :)

Toriz said...

Deanna:
Yes, some of the things kids say are really cute!

*Nods* I’m sure he does think he’s clever.

You really should get back to it; it’s fun, and people love handmade cards!

Betty:
Thanks about the card!

And, I agree about the rest. 

Yes, my day was a good one. Hope yours was?

Jeanie:
My thoughts exactly; on both counts! 

Rita:
Absolutely; it had everyone laughing (of course, Emma-Jane had no idea what was so funny). LOL!

Thanks about the card!

Screens? Ha! I wish! Nowhere has screens here! Well, maybe a couple of privately owned places might, but that’s about it. If I ever own a place I’m putting in screens! Until then though I have to put up with the bugs. It’s not normally too bad for bugs in this country, though we do have some years when it can be. Those years there’s a lot of hot people with closed windows and fans running (we don’t have AC either).

AK:
I agree; and she’s growing up way too fast!

He can be quite curious sometimes; though it’s funny because he’s curious and nervous at the same time, so it’s amusing waiting for him to decide if he’s brave enough to investigate something, LOL!

laurie said...

I know, I already commented but I came back to tell you what's on my new header, all my friends are important to me, its a photo of an old chair I painted in a rich butter yellow with darker golden trim on the carved bit, then I painted sprigs of pine and pines cones on it , covered the seat with a pretty green and pink fabric, behind is a wooden bench that i also embellished with ivy and flowers all across the back. I covered the seat with a soft green, all the needlepoint pillows sit on the bench, a big basket is on the floor and thats where all the linens came from that are draped on it, an old ceramic cat, golden yellow sits on the bench, I'm sorry I didn;t describe it better for you, the photos are of the wilds up north, swampy marsh and beautiful lakes and forests.
Of course Daisy too, she is a brown orangy brindle colored dog, half boxer and half golden retriever , I hope this helps, from now on I will write a description of each photo, I'm only blind in one eye, I have no idea what it must be like to have no vision but I will always remember you when I do a post.

ChicagoLady said...

I love it when kids say something that sounds so grown up!

I'm sure Jane appreciated the card you made for her.

Lucky Kero to have fresh air and all those neat smells!

Intense Guy said...

Kero probably thinks he's found a wonderful place! And if his blocking some of the windows he's keeping the bugs out. LOL.

Emma-Jane is so precocious!

Toriz said...

Laurie:
Thanks; I really appreciate you taking the time to do descriptions! *Hugs*

Chicago:
I love the things kids say too.

Iggy:
That's true; with him there no bugs can get in. ;)

And, yes, she is!