Thursday, October 17, 2019

#AmReading + #AmWatching - October 17th 2019 #Reviews

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
~Mason Cooley

It's time to take a look at what I've been reading and watching during this past week.

If you want to know more about the book, or the author, click on whichever it is you want to learn more about, and it will take you to the appropriate page on Goodreads. Clicking on my rating should take you to my actual Goodreads review for the book in question. Please bear in mind that the format I've reviewed on Goodreads may not be the format I actually read.

Alternatively, if it's a movie or TV show you want to know more about, just click on the title to go to a page where you can find out more details about the movie or TV show in question; the title links will usually take you to a page on IMDB.

Don't forget: I read and watch things across multiple genres, as well as for different age ranges, so you should always check before reading or viewing, to make certain something is suitable for the intended audience, especially when children are involved.

OK...

Here's what I read this week:

Compete (The Atlantis Grail, #2)Compete by Vera Nazarian
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This book was an excellent read. It was better than the first book in the series was, and every time I had to put it down was tough, especially during the second half of it. I mean, at first, I was just as annoyed by the main character's inability to use her brains for even the most simple of social interactions as I had been in book one. But she got better at thinking before speaking or acting, which I was pleased to see. Not to mention, this book has some excellent scenes scattered throughout it that made it an even more gripping read than the first had been, which you get more and more of as the book progresses. Oh, and that ending... WOW! Just WOW! Seriously, I'm torn between being glad I didn't have book three ready to go, because it was already late when I finished this one, and I know I'd have wanted to start it if I had it, and being disappointed I didn't have book three ready to go, because a large part of me didn't care that it was late, and just wanted to be reading the next book already.

The Arctic Incident (Artemis Fowl, #2)The Arctic Incident by Eoin Colfer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This was a great read, with plenty of action, and a few sprinklings of humour. Someone I know wrote in their review that this second book was better than the first in the series, but not quite good enough to be worthy of a five star rating. I'm inclined to agree with that opinion. If you enjoyed book one, you'll really enjoy book two. But it's only great, and not excellent.

As for what I've been watching:

Yeah... I've got nothing. I didn't watch anything during the past week. I caught parts of the odd show that was on TV when I happened to be in the living room, but mostly I was either listening to music - mainly country tunes - or reading.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

Some weeks we're living our lives and don't watch. Which is actually probably better!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
True, and a nice way to think of it. :)