Thursday, October 31, 2019

#Halloween's #AmReading + #AmWatching + #AmListening - October 31st 2019 #Reviews + A DVD Challenge Update

It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.
~Oscar Wilde

Happy Halloween!

It's time to take a look at what I've been reading and watching during this past week. It's also time to see which song I've decided to put in the spotlight from those I've listened to over the past week. So...

If you want to know more about the book, or the author, click on whichever it is you want to learn more about, and it will take you to the appropriate page on Goodreads. Clicking on my rating should take you to my actual Goodreads review for the book in question. Please bear in mind that the format I've reviewed on Goodreads may not be the format I actually read.

Alternatively, if it's a movie or TV show you want to know more about, just click on the title to go to a page where you can find out more details about the movie or TV show in question; the title links will usually take you to a page on IMDB.

Don't forget: I read and watch things across multiple genres, as well as for different age ranges, so you should always check before reading or viewing, to make certain something is suitable for the intended audience, especially when children are involved.

OK...

Here's what I read this week:

The Cock of the SouthThe Cock of the South by C.S. Boyack
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is an excellent and gripping story, which combines alternate history with fantasy wonderfully. If you enjoy those things, you should definitely read this book, and join this fantastic cast of characters on their action-packed adventure.

As for what I've been watching:

I watched seven DVDs this week. Yes, you read that right. All ones I've seen before, but still. I had three DVD days in a row, because I could, and because I kind of needed the recharge time. I could have read instead, and maybe should have for some of the time, considering I've not been reading as much as is normal for me lately. But I felt like binge-watching the rest of the Harry Potter movies. So, that's just what I did.

I watched the fourth and fifth Harry Potter movies one after the other on Saturday, the sixth and seventh on Sunday, and the eighth (the second part of book 7) on Monday while putting up my Halloween decorations. I also watched "Homeward Bound" 1 and 2, which was also on Monday, since I felt like watching more DVDs after I was done with Harry Potter, and my copies of those were close at hand. Plus, they're good movies.

Watching all those DVDs means I completed my DVD challenge, since that final Harry Potter DVD put me at the 52 DVDs for 2019 that was my goal, and then I watched two more after that, putting me at 54 DVDs watched so far this year. So, YAY! Considering there was a point earlier in the year when I was so behind on my DVD watching I thought I'd struggle to meet the goal, I'm definitely pleased I reached it with two months to spare. I'll continue keeping count of the DVDs I watch though, and tell you at the end of 2019 how many I end up watching in total for the year. I just wanted to tell you I'd reached the goal. Well, passed it really.

Oh, and I also caught a few random episodes of "The Simpsons" and "Futurama" when they were on TV, which I seem to do a lot. Just in case you were interested in hearing about that too.

Anyway...

As for what I've been listening to...

Mostly I've been sticking to my country music favourites. But I took a break to listen to a Halloween playlist. Around Halloween in previous years I already shared my two favourite Halloween tunes - "This Is Halloween" from The Nightmare Before Christmas, and "Monster Mash" - so I'm going to share one of the other ones I like that appeared in the playlist. The "Ghostbusters" theme tune. Enjoy!



Whatever you're reading, watching, or listening to this Halloween, I hope you find it spooktacular!

9 comments:

Jeanie said...

I adored the original Ghostbusters and could watch it over and over. Perfect for today!

CS Boyack said...

So glad you enjoyed Cock of the South. I love it when my older titles get some action.

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Glad you enjoyed the tune, and thought it fitting. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Craig:
I know what you mean... It's nice when someone who hasn't read the backlist does so. I've got a couple more of your old books to catch up on reading and reviewing too.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by, and for the great read. :)

Harmony Kent said...

This is a great review and the book looks like a fun read. Thanks for sharing, Victoria :)

CS Boyack said...

Thank you, Harmony. It was a nice surprise today.

Victoria Zigler said...

Harmony:
My pleasure... Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. :)

Rita said...

Ghostbusters was such a cute movie!

Congrats on making your DVD goal already this year! :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Yes it was (the original anyhow... Haven't seen the newer one).

Thanks! :)