I found this one among the tags on The Sassy Book Geek, after looking for some fun book tags to do. She's not the original creator of it, but she did it, and it's her I got it from, so that's who I'm going to mention.
Anyway, as I always say when I do these things, I'm not tagging anyone, but would love to read the answers of anyone who wants to play along. So, if you do want to play along, feel free to do so, whether in the comments of this post, on your own blog, or whatever. For now though, here are the questions, along with my own answers to them:
1. CHOCOLATE CAKE: A dark book you absolutely love
It's got to be "Dark Matter" by Michelle Paver. It's a dark and chilling read, and one of very few books to actually scare me.
2. VANILLA CAKE: A light read
"Instructions For Falling In Love Again" by Lucy Mitchell. It's a wonderful romantic comedy.
3. RED VELVET: A book that gave you mixed emotions
"The Hate U Give" by Angie Thomas. On the one hand, it was a fantastic book, with an important message to share. On the other hand, I had issues with some of the comments made by some of the characters. Racism isn't OK no matter what the circumstances are. That includes comments directed at other races by people who are victims of racism themselves.
4. CHEESECAKE: A book you would recommend to anyone
Any book I've given five stars to, and many of those I gave four stars to. To be honest, it actually depends on the preference of the person in question, the kind of book they're looking for, and what springs to mind at the time.
5. COFFEE CAKE: A book you started but never finished
There isn't one. If I start a book, I finish it. One time I even brought a copy of a book later on that I'd previously borrowed from someone, just because I'd had to give it back before I could finish it, and it bothered me that I hadn't finished reading it. Yes, I felt better for doing so.
6. CARROT CAKE: A book with great writing
No. I can't pick just one for this one. There are a lot of great authors out there, and it wouldn't be fair.
7. TIRAMISU: A book that left you wanting more
Several books have done this. However, one that springs to mind... Well, three, technically... Are the books in Vera Nazarian's "Atlantis Grail" series. But one in particular of those, since I especially felt that way with "Win" - the third book. If I hadn't had to wait for "Survive" to be released, I totally would have started it the moment I finished "Win" - like I did with the first three books in the series. You can bet I read that one as soon as I could. I hear the series is supposed to be being made in to a movie. I hope so, and hope the movie does it justice.
8. CUPCAKES: A series with 4+ Books
I can think of several, but I'm going to give a shout-out to Kim Harrison's "Hollows" series, also known as her "Rachel Morgan" books. The main series is 13 books long, with a prequel, some short stories, etc, you can also read if you like. It's one of my favourite series, which I re-read almost as often as I re-read the "Harry Potter" books.
9. FRUIT CAKE: A book that wasn’t what you anticipated
"The Wasp Factory" by Iain Banks, which is the book I ended up buying a copy of after not having finished it when I borrowed it, as it happens. I mostly only got a copy to finish it because it bothered me that I hadn't, but I ended up glad I did. It's a little dark and disturbing - the reason I'd been so slow reading it I'd needed to give it back before I was done - but if you can handle it the book is worth a read, and the ending... So never saw that coming!
6 comments:
This is an interesting one, Tori. I might have to do this one sometime. I like the categories and it's short!Loved seeing your choices!
This is such a fun post, Tori. I would chose Bram Stoker's Dracula for my dark chocolate cake book. Actually, I think I'll join in on my blog.
Jeanie:
Glad you enjoyed it, and hope you do decide to play along.
Robbie:
Awesome! I look forward to reading your answers. :)
Wow, the cake book tag, yummy! :) I've had a book called Dark Matter on my tbr but by a different author. You've intrigued me and I'm going to look into that one. Some great answers, I have to agree with The Hate U Give, I was disappointed with the way that white people were portrayed in that, although having been given that book to review at the time of its release by the publisher, it did feel difficult to voice that on my blog, I still did but you never know how people will take it if you say something negative about a much loved book. If you don't mind I'll definitely be doing this tag in the future :)
Cat:
I know what you mean about the review thing. I always worry how people are going to take any negative comments I make in reviews if the author will be reading them, especially if they gave me a copy to review.
I'm not sure if it's the same one you're thinking of, but I know of at least one other book called "Dark Matter" (by Blake somone, I think...). But have only read the one I mentioned by Michelle Paver.
Oh, and of course I don't mind... I'd love for you to do the tag too. Feel free to play along with any of the ones I've posted in the past, or any of the ones coming up over the next several months (seriously, I have loads coming up... Two or more a month right through to the end of the year). :)
Post a Comment