Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Books, blogs, sunshine, dinner, Scrabble and dogs

I never mentioned the books I took in to hospital with me (both of which I'd read before I even went down for my op) so I figured I'd start today's post off by mentioning them.

The first one - which I read with my Mam before she had to leave - is called "Touch The Universe" and is a NASA braille book designed to allow blind people to see some of the images captured by the Hubble Space Telescope. The author's name is "Noreen Grice" and the book contains tactile versions of some of the images the HST has captured along with some information on what's in the pictures. I found it fascinating and even my Mam - who's not big on all the space themed stuff that I enjoy - actually seemed to be enjoying the book (though she insists she was just bored)... LOL!

The other one was "Misty The Guide Dog" by Phyllis Flowerdew. It was the first grade 2 book I ever read and is really special to me because it was a gift from Carl (my brother) because he was proud of my learning braille and had promised it to me if I practiced hard and learned well (this was a good ten or more years ago mind you). I think he regrets giving it to me now though, because it means he no longer has a copy, and we both think it's a cute little story. It's the story of a yellow Labrador and how she goes from being a playful little puppy living on a farm to being a fully qualified guide dog for the blind. Like I said, it's a sweet little story, and I've always loved it. I took it with me because I wanted something happy and fun to read while I was stuck in hospital (I didn't know at the time I'd be using it to keep myself occupied while waiting to go in for the op).

And... Staying on the subject of books for a moment... When I got home yesterday a package was waiting for me containing a couple of books I'd ordered. "Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them" by Newt Scamander and "Quidditch Through The Ages" by Kennelworthy Whisp. Yes, the same books Harry Potter has. I'm taking them with me to read when I go to Norwich for Carl and Rachel's wedding. If any of the others I've ordered arrive in time I'll probably take them too, but for now it's just the two books since they're the only ones that have arrived so far.

Since I enjoy reading and writing so much and am missing playing World Of Warcraft, my Dad's suggested I write some stories telling the adventures of the characters I played (in particular my main character... A rogue named Zararose) using what I can remember and - if I get stuck on remembering anything - asking him, Kelly or Mam for any info I need. I think it sounds like a fun idea! Which brings me to the second part of my title... Blogs! My Dad is going to post the stories on the forum for Y Ddraegau (the guild I created, which is now his) but you have to be in the guild and a member of the site to read the stuff on it, so I've decided I'll also post them on my story blog. So, if you're interested in reading them, keep a look out for them showing up on there.

Anyway...

It's been a beautiful day today, and it was made even better by the fact I was able to go outside and enjoy it. Mam and I spent a lot of the afternoon out in the garden (accompanied on and off by Eleri and Faye).

My parents came for dinner today. Mam made toad in the hole (basically sausages, onions and tomatoes in batter) with roast potatoes, carrots and peas. It was very tasty. She doesn't usually make it because one time she did and the batter went wrong so it shook her confidence and she became convinced she couldn't do it. But I asked her to try for me and as it turned out she did a fantastic job.

We had some strawberry cheesecake too, but Mam didn't make that.

Before and after dinner, Kelly and Dad played on the computers while Mam and I played Scrabble (in between trips outside to enjoy the sunshine). Mam won every game, but most of the games were really close. Besides, it doesn't bother me. If I only played to win I'd have given up on Scrabble a long time ago, because it's very rare for me to win at it. LOL!

Kero slept beside us while we played... Man can that dog snore! LOL!

And, speaking of Kero... I think he thinks it's his fault I'm in pain or something. He sniffed near my eye the other day and then put his head down and flattened his ears like he does when he thinks he's in trouble. He's done it a few times since then too. I've tried to tell him it's nothing he did, but I don't think he's convinced. Bless him!

I think that covers everything I wanted to say. I'm not feeling so drained today, and the pain's hardly noticeable (though that's because of the pain killers, but at least they're working). But I'll let this do for today anyway. Enjoy whatever's left of your day. :)

Tori

5 comments:

KAYLEE said...

I AM SO GLAD TORI!

Intense Guy said...

*Laffs at Kero snoring so loudly - gets a mental image of you placing one of the anti-snore strip things over his nose next time*

:) That book about the guide dog sounds like a beautiful story and the story about how you came to have it, is just a nice.

Maybe you will find another copy of it someday and be able to give it to Carl on a special day.

*hugs*

AliceKay said...

Send me some sunshine, Tori. We're getting pounded with rain and thunderstorms lately.

Tori_z said...

Kaylee:
Thanks... How're you doing?

Iggy:
LOL! I don't think he'd be too happy with me if I did that. Although, he is pretty good at letting me dress him up, so maybe.... No, that's just cruel! LOL!

That's a good idea about the book. :)

AK:
Well... I am kinda enjoying the sunshine since I can actually go out in it now. But I guess I could try and send you some for a couple of days so you can finish the work on your roof. :)

joshua said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Sharon

http://www.autoloans101.info