Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sunday's random thoughts

It's too hot today! I'm sat here with the fan on it's highest setting but I'm still too hot. Plus I'm tired because of the fact I didn't get as much sleep as I'd have liked to have had last night, but I'm trying to stay up until a decent time in the hopes that'll mean I'll sleep tonight.

Anyway... Enough whining. I'm sure you don't want to be reading a whiny post. So I'll get on with posting about other stuff.

I've got most of my stuff packed ready for going to Norwich for Carl and Rachel's wedding. The only things not packed are things I can't pack yet. Like my pills, for example. But there are also a couple of things I want my Mam's opinion on. Mam's coming to give her opinion on those things tomorrow (Monday) afternoon. So they'll be packed then. I can't pack my pills until the last minute though. Especially the pain killers, because I need to take those before I leave.

I asked Eleri if she'd be willing to pop to the shop for Kelly if he runs out of anything while I'm away, because he can't leave Kero and go himself. She said she'd be happy to do that. He shouldn't need her to go get anything, but I figure it's best to have the option there and not need it than to have him run out of anything and not have a way of getting it. I'll make sure he's got a bit of money "just in case" though.

Mam and her friend Kelly came in for a bit this afternoon. Mam's been coming almost every day to clean around my eye for me. I suppose my Kelly could do it every day, but I think Mam feels useful coming to do it. Besides, I know she wants to come check on me each day, so it gives her an excuse to do so. Most days though she's just come in, cleaned around the eye, asked me how I am, then left. But they came in for a bit today. I think it was because they were hot and thirsty though. LOL!

I was just thinking... Is it really right to say "around the eye" now? I mean... There isn't really one there, so can I say "eye" still? Mind you, I expect "around the eye" sounds better than "around the eye socket" really. What do you think?

Sorry about that... It just popped in to my head. Enquiring minds need to know all sorts of interesting - though often weird - things, after all, don't they? LOL!

On that note, I think that's enough from me for today. ;)

Enjoy whatever's left of your day. :)

Tori

14 comments:

LadyStyx said...

That was a good question. I was thinking when you mentioned mom cleaning around the eye just that very thing. It's almost like when you mention watching a movie or a tv program. First thought is, how does she manage to watch anything with no sight? Wouldnt it be listen to? *shrugz* I think you're right though because around the eye does sound so much nicer. Maybe if you referred to it as the eye area?

whimsical brainpan said...

I hope you sleep well tonight.

Glad to hear you've got all your ducks in a row for your upcoming trip.

That's such a mom thing to do. :-)

Me, I'd probably say around the eye socket. I was raised by a nurse and like to be precise.

Tori_z said...

LadyStyx:
Carl (my brother) has been blind since he was two years old and has always said "watching TV." Someone asked him once why he says "watching" when he can't watch the movie or TV show, and he said "I watch it with my ears." I like his answer. Besides, plenty of sighted people say they were watching TV while doing something on the computer... You can't stare at a monitor and a TV screen at the same time, so surely they too were actually "listening" to the TV show or movie? It's a figure of speech. Like being beside yourself with joy. Most people don't even know anyone called Joy, and it's impossible to be beside yourself (unless you stand by a reflection of yourself or a photo of yourself or something). But unless you were stood beside your photo or reflection with someone named Joy beside you then it's impossible to be beside yourself with joy. But people still say it when they're VERY happy, don't they?

Tori_z said...

Whim:
I hope I sleep tonight too. :)

That's fair enough... Sometimes the things we're taught as kids are drummed in so well we keep the lessons and habits when we grow up (not always because we want to, but sometimes it's our choice).

Kati said...

I understand what you mean when you speak of "cleaning around your eye". I DO agree with LadyStyx though about wondering exactly what you mean by "watching" a movie.

Best of luck with the packing!

Tori_z said...

Kati:
It's a figure of speach. Like when someone says they were "talking" to a friend on messenger when they were actually typing and there was no actual verbal communication involved. Or when someone says they laughed their socks off... Laughing at something isn't going to make your socks come off, but people still say they laughed their socks off. It's just one of those things people say.

AliceKay said...

You can call it anything you want to call it. I think around the eye is okay to say if that's how you feel. We all know your situation. *hugs*

Intense Guy said...

I think what LadyStyx was saying about "eye area" is where I would go - the eye is more than the eyeball, it is the eyelids, the tear duct, the nerves leading to the brain, the socket, so I would think that even without one of these, its still the "eye", and "cleaning around the eye" is appropriate usage.

I would think, furthermore when/if you get a "false eyeball," you would say you have an "eye."

Just my 2 cents, or half pennies or what ya want to use. :)

Tori_z said...

AK:
Thanks *hugs*

Iggy:
Good point. :)

LadyStyx said...

LOL true!

KAYLEE said...

I just wanna say hi

Tori_z said...

Hi to you too, Kaylee. :)

Intense Guy said...

Just stopped in to say enjoy your trip to Norwich, enjoy the wedding and family and friends, and be safe!! (Just in case you are set to leave before I get to say all that!)

*Hugs*

Tori_z said...

Thanks, Iggy. :)