Tuesday, July 08, 2008

The parent and the princess

My Mam ended up going in to hospital today. She had what appears to be a minor stroke. We all think it was probably due to all the stress she's been under lately with trying to do so much. Anyway, she didn't have to stay in so she's home now, but she's got to go for some scans and tests to check and make sure there wasn't more to it and/or that it didn't do any lasting damage to anything.

I'm afraid that's all I can tell you on that subject at the moment. When I know more, I'll post more.

Anyway...

I haven't done much today. Mostly I've been watching some of the DVDs I brought a while back and haven't gotten around to watching. A lot of them are just kids' shows - like "Rugrats" and "The Adventures Of The Wishing Chair" - but I did also watch another movie today.

The movie was "A Little Princess" and it's one that I'm sure at least most people will be familiar with (whether it's from reading the book or watching the movie). I've seen it before and read the book when I was a child (I think I was about 10 or 11). Anyway, it's the story of a little girl from India called "Sarah" who's sent to a boarding school when her father has to go and fight in the war. Her Dad's always told her that all girls are princesses, so that's what she believes. Not sure what else to say about it without giving the story away. It's a lovely story though, and if you're a fan of "The Secret Garden" then you'll enjoy this one since the book was actually written by the same author if I'm not mistaken (I'm afraid I don't have a copy of the book in order to verify, and I don't feel like looking it up right now, sorry).

OK, well... Enjoy whatever's left of your day. And... Get well soon to everyone who's not well, or is still in and out of hospital. *sends hugs to those people* :)

Tori

6 comments:

Intense Guy said...

I hope your mom is okay and on the mend. She does have seemed very busy lately. Wishes for a complete recovery.

*hugs*

AliceKay said...

I hope it's nothing serious. Stress can do bad things to a person's body. I'll keep her in my thoughts, Tori. *hugs*

Intense Guy said...

:) Saved you some effort Tori, "The Secret Garden" and "The Little Princess" were both written by the same author, Frances Hodgson Burnett.

I enjoy reading novels set in "ye ol' sod" (England) but have not read these.

Tori_z said...

Thanks Iggy and AK for your comments. :)

Iggy:
I thought so... Thanks for saving me the effort of looking. :)

"A Little Princess" isn't actually set in England though. The main character is - like in "The Secret Garden" - technically British (from India... But India used to be under British rule, apparently). But where as in "The Secret Garden" the young girl (Mary) goes to Yorkshire, in "The Little Princess the young girl (Sarah) goes to a boarding school in America.

LadyStyx said...

Im familiar with the movie,watched it several times over the course of my life. I've never read the book though. Yes, if you like one...you more than likely will like the other.

*HUGZ* for mam. She really needs to slow down a little bit.

Tori_z said...

LadyStyx:
Yes, she does. We're all trying to tell her that but she wont listen.