Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Prayer request, update on my Mam, book reviews and more

A little while after I finished my post on Sunday, Eleri knocked on our door to say she was really sorry but she wouldn't be available this week to keep an eye on if Kelly needed anything after all. Her Dad's had a stroke, so they're staying with him. I told her it was fine. I mean, her Dad is much more important than if Kelly were to run out of bread or milk or something. I hope her Dad's OK. She's already lost one parent this year and could really do without losing another so soon. She only lost her mother a couple of months ago.

I know she'd appreciate any prayers or positive thoughts you can send their way for her Dad. So if you could spare some time to light a candle, say a prayer, or whatever it is you do then I'd appreciate it, and so would Eleri and Faye. Thanks.

Speaking of strokes...

My Mam's doing OK. She doesn't seem to have any permanent damage (though her right side isn't as strong as it used to be... But at least she can still use it). So physically she's doing fine. Mentally and emotionally though... I'm not so sure. It seems to have hit her really hard. She's always been stubbourn and very active, so she's not taking her body's insistance that she slow down very well. She wants to still be doing everything she used to when she was my age (but without the kids in tow) and she's hating it that she can't.

Anyway...

It was WAY too hot yesterday. Mam said when she was in her driving instructor's car she looked at the thermometer he's got in there and it said it was 27 C (about 86 F) and that was not long after she got in the car (so about 11:00 am) and trust me, it got hotter! I know at some point during the afternoon - I think between 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm some time - it went up in to the early 30s C (early to mid 90s F) which is too hot for me to deal with. Once it gets past about 24 C (about 80 F) it's too much for me and I end up grumpy because I'm so hot and uncomfortable. My Dad's the same way, so you can probably imagine what fantastic moods Dad and I were in yesterday. LOL!

My grumpyness was made worse by the fact the heat was making my head hurt more, not to mention the fact that when I was playing with Kero yesterday afternoon he accidentally gave me a bit of a swollen lip, which was kinda sore all evening. We were playing with an empty bottle (he's got a big box full of toys, but he LOVES playing with empty bottles) and he caught me hard across the top lip with it when he was throwing it about. Still, at least it was the lower part of my face. Would have hurt a lot more if he'd hit me higher up (especially on the right side). And it's not like it's the first time we've gotten carried away and I've gone and got myself hurt. I have a little scar on the side of my nose from him slipping when he was a puppy and I was holding a toy up to make him jump for it, but he couldn't do the jump and slipped, catching me in the face with his claws as he fell (I was on my back on the floor holding the toy above me, so it was my own stupid fault). He cut my head in two places just above the hair line too. *Shrugs* No big deal. I get cuts and bruises from stuff a lot. At least these ones I know where they came from. LOL!

Anyway...

We had a terrific thunder storm yesterday. It started some time between 6:00 pm and 7:00 pm. Not exactly sure when. Anyway, it only stayed impressive for maybe 20 minutes or so, but it was at least close to 9:00 pm before it actually started to fade off in to the distance.

Over the past couple of days I've listened to a couple of the audio books in my "need to listen to" pile. One was one of the ones my Nan got me, the other came from a friend of my Grandma's called Marie.

The one from my Nan was "Under Gemini" by Rosamunde Pilcher. It was a really good story too! The story was about a woman named "Tuppy" (I think that's how it would be spelled) who's really ill and wants to meet her Grandson's fiance properly at least once before she dies, and about a girl called "Flora" who pretends to be her twin sister in order to help fulfill Tuppy's wishes.

I have another Rosamunde Pilcher audio book to listen to. Hope it's as good as that one was. :)

The story from Marie was called "Therapy" and was by David Lodge. It was an interesting story, which was - basically - a journal written by a man who is suffering from depression and going through various forms of therapy in order to treat that and the issues he has with his knee. The journal is basically another thing he's doing as therapy. Like I said, it was interesting. I'm not entirely sure how I felt about it though. I mean, it was pretty good - especially in some parts - but it was a difficult one to get in to. Not too bad of a book... Probably not everyone's cup of tea though. Parts of it were... How should I put this? Er... Not for everyone's ears. Yes, that sounds like a good way to put it. Not for everyone's ears. Or - if you happen to spot a print copy - then I guess it would change to "not for everyone's eyes."

So... There you go. Those are the books I've listened to over the past couple of days.

I was going to post about Eleri's Dad, my Mam and the books yesterday, but I couldn't get signed in to blogger for some reason. It was really late last night when I finally got in and by the time I'd checked everyone else's blogs I couldn't be bothered to do one of my own. I did, however, go and post a few poems I've written on my poetry page (see link on sidebar) so if you want to go check those out then be my guest. There will be more soon... Just as soon as they're finished and I'm happy with them.

I've made a start on the first part of "The Adventures Of Zararose"... Don't think I've already told you that. If I have, sorry. I've not done loads, but I've made a start and that's what matters right now.

Pretty much everything is packed now. Just the last minute things that aren't packed, if you know what I mean. Why does going away somewhere have to involve so much work and expense?

OK, well... I'll probably be around checking blogs a little between now and when I leave, but I wont be doing another post until I get back. I do have a couple on "auto pilot" as Iggy calls it though. Nothing fancy I'm afraid, just a couple of little notes... Just so you don't miss me too much. LOL! ;)

Enjoy the rest of your day... And the rest of your week for that matter. :)

Tori

8 comments:

LadyStyx said...

Good thoughts going out for Eleri and her family as well as your mom.

Im the same with the heat too. If the temps would stay around 75 or so, I'd be happy. They dont though...we get upwards to the mid to high 90's and sometimes in the 100's with the dang heat index. *bah* No wonder the entire cul-du-sac takes siestas...

Therapy sounds like a "dark" read (or in your case, listen). Another you may want to check out...if that type of topic is to your liking....is Lisa Bright and Dark. It's about a high school girl that slowly goes mad and no one notices except her friends at school.

Havent even begun to pack here, but then it's only a 4-5 hr drive there and we wont be leaving until until later on friday. Gonna be busy the next couple days...gotta get my hair touched up (damn roots coming in that need to be "freshened" colorwise) and look for a nice blouse to match my skirt and some shoes. The steroided rat (chihuahua) needs to go to the "puppy spa" (vet's) to be boarded. I may just put a couple entries "on auto-pilot" also....I havent decided yet.

Intense Guy said...

I hope your Mom gets the ol' bounce in her stride back!

Tori_z said...

LadyStyx:
Yeah, it would be perfect if it would stay around 75 F. I'm hoping it stays around that temp over the weekend for the wedding.

I'll read/listen to just about anything. I have my favourites (e.g. the Harry Potter books, books by Roald Dahl, short childrens' stories, books by R L Stine, etc) but if it's a book/audio book then I'll read/listen to it at least once.

I've got to get finished packing today because my Dad's picking me up tomorrow afternoon. I'm spending tomorrow (Wednesday) night with him, Nan and Wayne so we can set off from their place together on Thursday morning. Besides, I'm the kind of person who has their bag at least semi-packed for at least three days before the trip. Only exceptions are times when I've gone in to hospital at short notice.

Iggy:
Don't worry. She's a fighter and I'm sure she's not going to let the stroke get the better of her. :)

Jayde_Bramblerose said...

lots of prayers and good thoughts for Eleri's dad hope he gets better and quickly to and tori please give her our love.

and yes i can understand how your mam cant accept whats happening to her at the moment, i have told her she "WILL " have to slow down a little bit ( bless her ).

having not listened to " marie's " tape i cant really pass an opinion on it, but if you found it slightly interesting and as you so rightly say it isnt every ones cup of tea, so i suppose it was "an " ok book " yes.

and your grandad and myself are starting to get things packed away for the weekend, isnt it so exciting , i cant wait to see them and every one else.

so you had a thunder staorm then we havent had one as yet so you can keep them at your end i really dont mind,lol.

KAYLEE said...

Hope they both feel better soon :(

AliceKay said...

Have a safe trip and enjoy the time with your family.

whimsical brainpan said...

I'm sorry to hear about Eleri's Dad. I hope he'll be ok.

I'm glad your Mom is doing well relatively speaking. I can kind of relate to suddenly not being able to do what you use to though. It will take time but she will adjust.

Damn, it's hot all over!

WOOT on starting your project!

There will be an award for you at my place tomorrow.

Tori_z said...

Thanks for the comments all. Will pass on well wishes etc to Mam and to Eleri's Dad.

Whim:
Will come look later on today. Was going to "try" and get caught up on blogs over the next couple of days anyway. :)