Friday, July 25, 2008

Friday's medical and weather updates

I got an appointment through the post today asking me to go for a post op checkup. Unfortunately it seems they didn't listen to me when I said I was away from July 30th to August 5th (I'm actually away from July 31st to August 4th, but wanted to avoid a hospital trip the day before leaving and after coming back). The appointment was for about mid afternoon on August 4th. Well, since we're not coming home until that day we know we wont be able to make the appointment. If we're lucky we might be almost home by then, but the hospital is around an hour from home in the opposite direction to the direction we're coming from, so we couldn't even stop off on the way home, really. Plus - even if it was on the way home - we couldn't guarantee to be close enough to home to make it by that time. So Mam called for me and told them I couldn't make it. They're sending a new appointment for some time after that. Not sure exactly when, but I'll probably get the appointment through at the start of next week. I expect it'll probably be the following week or something.

Staying on the subject of my op for a moment...

Mam and Kelly say the swelling and bruising are going down nicely around the eye. I knew the swelling was and am glad to hear about the bruising healing up nicely. I'm hoping it continues to clear up as well as it has been so that the bruising is at least minimal in time for when I'm having my photo taken at Carl and Rachel's wedding. If it wasn't for the presence of cameras, it wouldn't bother me. I'd just kinda like it if I didn't look like I had a black eye when a camera is pointing at me. LOL! But... *Shrugs*... If it's still all bruised looking then there's nothing that can be done and people will have to just like it or lump it!

The pain isn't too bad either. I still get the odd twinge, but for the most part the Paracetamol is keeping the pain away. I'm only taking them one at a time though. I figure that way if the level of pain goes up and it's been less than four hours since I last had one I can take the chance of taking another one. Besides, no sense taking more than one if just taking one is doing the trick, right? I think the main reason only one pill at a time is enough is that I so rarely take anything like that. Normally the strongest thing I take is Calpol (childrens' medicine... Known as "Childrens' Tylanol" in Canada and - I expect - the US too). Compared to that a 500mg Paracetamol capsule is quite strong.

I've got some of my energy back too. I'm still getting tired easily, but not as easily. I'm able to help Kelly with housework without having to stop half way through it to sit down or lay down now (which is what I was having to do at the start of the week). I'm sure Kelly's very pleased about that. LOL! Don't get me wrong, he's been fantastic, but - like all men - housework isn't his strong point and, despite his best efforts, things were getting missed. After all, you can't expect one man to run a house completely by himself, can you? ;)

Anyway...

We've had a weird day (weather wise) today. It started out all gloomy and rainy (though still sort of warm-ish) and I thought, "I guess that was it for our Summer again then." But by this afternoon it was nice and sunny and dry again. We were even able to get the blanket from the sofa washed and out on the line. :)

I've made a start on the first part of "The Adventures Of Zararose" series of stories my Dad said about writing. It's going OK so far, though I haven't really done much of it yet. I've also put a few scraps of ideas together to form the starting points for a few poems I'm working on. Not sure how long either of these projects are going to take, but I don't think it matters. There's no real rush to get them done, and at least I have something to keep me busy now. :)

Oh, yeah... I listened to "A Bear Called Paddington" by Michael Bond last night before I went to sleep. I'm sure you're all familiar with the stories of Paddington Bear so I wont bother to tell you. And I don't think I need to tell you I enjoyed listening to them. That bear is always good for a chuckle. LOL!

Enjoy whatever's left of your day. And... I hope everyone who's not been feeling too good (be it physically, mentally or whatever) is feeling better soon. *Hugs*

Tori

P.S. "Happy birthday," to my friend Nancy who's birthday is today. :)

10 comments:

Kati said...

Yeah!!! Glad to hear you're healing nicely. I hope the bruising heals completely before the wedding. (Though, would it be possible to cover any residual bruising with a bit of make-up if necessary???)

Hope you get some nice summery days, yet.

Tori_z said...

Kati:
Thanks... And thanks for the suggestion, but... No. It wouldn't be possible. Even the "so-called" non-alergenic (I think that's the right word) stuff makes my face go all purple and blotchy. I can wear lipstick and nail varnish, but neither of those would help with covering bruises around my eye. I'm pretty sure I can wear eye-shadow, but that wouldn't do the job either. Besides, with the fact the eye is probably still going to be a bit painful I'd rather not have people (i.e. my Mam) fiddling around putting make-up on or around the area. Thanks for trying to help though. :)

whimsical brainpan said...

I'm happy to hear that you are recovering nicely and that the pain is under control.

It always seems to take forever to recover from a sugery.

Good luck on your project. It sounds interesting and I can't wait to hear more about it.

Have a great weekend!

KAYLEE said...

Glad to hear you are healing but sorry about the camera Thing.

BTW, Tori I just read that comment you posted on my blog and I have to say it really touched my heart. I am very glad to know that I am in your thoughts everyday even as you struggle with pain of your own.

Kaylee said...

:)

AliceKay said...

One question, Tori.....why do they send appointments thru the post? Why can't appointments be made over the telephone?

LadyStyx said...

Maybe a pretty set of shades Tori? Use them like you would a piece of jewelry. It would block the bruising from being seen and still look nice :)

Alice, if her dr office is like mine...it's probably partially automated. My drs office is always sending reminders of appointments and follow ups thru the email. I get all my test results that way. I kinda like it because I get the results a whole lot faster than waiting for a piece of paper in the snailmail. I can make appointments that way too...it makes it easier on me when hubby's on nights because then I can drop a note whenever and know I'll have an answer sometime the next day (unless it's a weekend).

Tori_z said...

Whim:
Thanks. Will make sure to let you know when the stuff is on my other blog pages so you can take a look during times when your signal is good. ;)

Kaylee:
No matter what's going on in my life, I can always find the time to spare a thought for my family and friends. Especially those who need it. *hugs*

AK:
No idea why it's done that way. Some hospitals send them through the post, some send you a letter to tell you it's time to phone and make your appointment, some make the appointment with you there and have you make follow-up appointments each time you visit. Then there's my doctors surgery where you either phone or go in and make appointments as and when you want to. It seems to vary from place to place. I don't know why, and I don't think they really do either. LOL!

LadyStyx:
I could... But I don't want to. I'm not even intending to wear a hat now. I've waited most of my life to be able to go outside without shielding my eyes in some way, so I'm not prepared to wear something that will continue to do that. Not now I don't have to. Thanks for trying to help though. :)

AliceKay said...

I guess it's because I live in the sticks of Pennsylvania? LOL (we use the phone)

Tori_z said...

AK:
Could be. LOL!