Sunday, February 06, 2011

Wolves at the window

It sounded as though a pack of wolves was howling outside, rattling the windows, and knocking on the glass panes... Trying to get in. But she would not let them in. She wouldn't even get up and go to the window. It was safer to stay away from it... Safer to pretend she didn't hear. But she did hear. It was only a storm though... Wasn't it?

Yes, it was. It was the storm we had last night... Howling winds, and pouring rain. Winds that rattled the windows, and rain that pattered against the glass window panes. It may have sounded like a pack of wolves wanted me to let them in, but there were no wolves. Of course, nothing could have persuaded me to go outside and check... Had Kero asked for a pee at that point, I'd have told him to forget it. While curled up in my bed with the TV on low (for company, since Kelly and Kero were sleeping, and I wasn't) it was easy enough to remind myself that it was just the wind and rain. Standing by the back door waiting for Kero to finish doing what he needed to though... Well, that would have been more difficult. That's when I'd have probably been imagining wolves prowling around in the darkness, figuring out that I had the back door open, and silently making their way closer to it...

OK, enough of that!

Yes, I have a very vivid imagination, and sometimes that's a bad thing. Mostly I can remind myself that the noises aren't monsterous creatures coming to get me, but sometimes... Well, sometimes it's safer to curl up in bed listening to a story, or watching TV, and staying away from the firmly locked windows and doors. Just in case, you know?

Anyway, this is just a more fun way of saying... We've had some really nasty weather lately, and - though I've slept at night for most of the last two weeks - the time I've fallen asleep has varied. Some nights I'm asleep around 10:00 PM (if not before) but other nights - like last night - it's more like 3:00 AM I fall asleep. Still, I'm sleeping at night (for now) and sleeping a good 6 hours (though often with an hour or more gap in the middle). I'm happy with that though... It's sleep, and it's at night too!

5 comments:

Intense Guy said...

I'm glad you are getting your sleep - I hope that wet weather doesn't find its way inside - with the leaks and whatever they need to do with the roof and waterproofing the sides of your flat.

Hopefully your imagination also has really nice moments too!

Rita said...

I was up till 3am over here, too!

You wouldn't like it over here then. We get window rattling, pound against the building, whistling/screaming/howling, shake the floor winds regularly--all year round--day or night.

Good think Kero can hold it. ;)

I hope you stay on days as long as you can. :):)

Toriz said...

Iggy:
So far the wet weather - and the wind wolves - are staying outside where they belong.

Yes, there are some good times with my imagination. :)

Rita:
We get weather like this most of the year here too. When my imagination doesn't run away from me I enjoy listening to the storms. It's just sometimes I think too much. ;)

Yes, definately a good thing Kero can hold it well... Poor Kero!


I hope I stay on days for some time too! It's nice being awake when others are. ;)

Deanna said...

Spring will be here before we know it - hopefully with soft rain and not thunderstorms. I'm glad your imagination goes both ways. I hope you can keep your days and nights straight. I can understand what you are saying about it being nice to be awake when others are. I'll bet it has helped that you have been keeping busy with your mam and baby Emma and your projects.

Toriz said...

*Nods at Deanna*

Yes, Spring will be here soon...