Sunday, February 13, 2011

Dark Heart of the Valley

"Called the 'greatest storyteller of his generation' (Stockton), Owen Staton has enthralled audiences the world over. 'Dark Heart of the Valley' explores some of the oddest fairy stories from Welsh folklore. Here you will meet the capricious fairies of Wales, the Mari Llwyd and the Devil himself in a valley of ancient oaks, craggy ridges and haunted brooks. Sit back and enjoy storytelling at its spellbinding best in this superb collection of old tales told as only Owen can tell them. If storytelling is your thing then this truly is your Grail."

The above text was taken from this page from when Owen performed the show at the Edinburgh Festival a few months back, but it wasn't the Edinburgh Festival I went to. It was the same performance, but a lot closer to home.

You may remember that back at the start of July of last year I went to watch a storyteller friend performing. I posted about it here. Anyway, Owen Staton and The Sleeping Giant Foundation arranged for the above mentioned stories to be performed just a few days ago not too far from my home. So, Dad and I went to see it. Owen is a fantastic storyteller, and I'm glad I had the oppertunity to do so.

As I mentioned when I posted about the last event of his that I went to, I'm not just saying he's a fantastic storyteller because he's a friend of my Dad. He really is fantastic! If any of you who are in the UK ever have the oppertunity to go to an event he's performing at, I urge you to grab the oppertunity with both hands... I promise you wont regret it!

Thank you Owen for a wonderful and entertaining evening!

5 comments:

Deanna said...

Sounds wonderful! I wonder if he will ever make it to the states...

Glad you had the opportunity.

Toriz said...

Deanna:
If he ever does, I'll be sure to warn you in advance so you can try to get to see him! :)

AliceKay said...

I'm glad you were able to attend the event, and close to home. He sounds like a good storyteller and an all around good entertainer.

Rita said...

I remember you talking about him. Sounds like a wonderful storyteller. :)

Toriz said...

AK & Rita:
Yes, he is! :)