Sunday, February 05, 2012

Celebrating Imbolc 2012 (FD)

On the evening of February 1st I had a dinner of pasta with cheese sauce, then did the "Imbolc end-of-Winter meditation" I posted on my blog that evening. Then I went to bed, since the rest of what I planned to do would be happening the next day.

The morning of February 2nd arrived, and it was a cold one. The wind was bitter, and despite the blue sky there was no warmth to be felt from the sun. Still, Kelly took Willow for her morning walk, and when they got back, Kero and I set out for ours.

I decided to take the camera with me and try and get some shots. I wasn't sure how well I'd done, since I didn't want to spend too long trying to aim the camera; it was hard to use it through my gloves, so to do so I had to remove them, and staying still made it seem even colder out there than it had while I was walking. I wanted some photos though, so I put up with it long enough to take some.

I took this one as Kero and I walked through the archway to enter the park:


The lawn in the photo is the bit of grass Kero and I walk around before leaving through the same entrance we entered when we go to the park on our own.

Most of the trees are still bare:



Though there is some green to be seen in the park, since some trees are green year round. Here's a green tree for anyone who's longing for the sight of green things:


I believe this was taken while I was standing the opposite side of the grass, with my back to the pond:


I know this one was definately taken with me standing with my back to the pond:


When we got back I had a nice mug of cocoa to warm up, then settled down to read my book on candle making in hopes of memorizing as much as I could before beginning the task. Then, when I was ready to do so, I went and made some candles:



They're rather nobbly looking; especially the two in the photo with the one in the glass container. The book says that can happen if you don't quite have the wax warm enough, and since I don't have a thermometer I had no way of knowing the wax's temperature (ordinary thermometers may not cost much, but talking ones do, hence my not having one). Apart from being rather nobbly looking though, I don't think I did too bad of a job for my first attempt at candle making. What do you think?

Before dinner Kelly, Kero, Willow and I went for another walk.

I wasn't sure at that point if I'd managed to get any shots worth keeping, so I asked Kelly to get a photo for me, and this is the one he took:


And that's how I celebrated Imbolc this year.

12 comments:

Susan said...

It sounds like you had a lovely festival! who is willow? I have to ask, how are you able to take pictures yourself?
Hugs,
Susan

Rita said...

That park is so pretty. I loved seeing the green grass! Although it's covered with snow now, right?!

I think you did a good job on the candles. As long as they burn, who cares. Most of the time my candles are inside of some kind of holder so I can't actually see the candle itself, anyways. ;)

Sounds like you had a very nice day. Loved all the pics!! :):)

Deanna said...

You got some really nice shots. What a wonderful place for walkies. The candles are nice! I'm with Rita, if they burn, that is all that matters. Did you add any scents to your candles?

Toriz said...

Susan:
Willow is a Black Labrador we took in recently when my Mam could no longer keep her. She's 7 years old. Kelly put a photo of her up on his blog earlier, and there will be more photos - newer ones - of her going up on his blog in a few days (when he gets around to it).

As for how I can take photos myself. Well, I just aim in the direction things should be and hope for the best, then my good friend Iggy patiently sorts through the photos, and if I got what I was aiming for, I post it, if I didn't then if it's an option to do so I try it again, if not I just shrug and say, "well, I tried," and that's that. Most of my photos are taken by me, though quite often Kelly will help with aiming the camera.

Toriz said...

Rita:
Yes. Though it probably wont be for long; I've been warned by neighbours that snow melts fast here (the salt in the air, I think).

My thoughts exactly; as long as they burn!

Deanna:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that bit. I used lilac and eucalyptus (I think I spelled that right). An unusual combination, I know, but when I was looking through the scents on the site I got them from those two seemed to call out to me. I originally planned on doing some with one scent and some with another, but then I decided not to make too many candles, and I wondered what it would be like mixing the two scents. So I mixed a little of each together to see what it smelled like, and it seemed to smell quite nice, so I thought, "why not?" and used both.

ChicagoLady said...

Very nice pictures! I continue to be amazed at how well you get around and are able to do so many things on your own. So what if the candles were a bit nobbly, as long as they smell good to you and burn ok, I consider that a huge success. With practice you'll figure out how to get them to be not nobbly.

Connie Mitan said...

Sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing!
~Sunfire

AliceKay said...

You have such a wonderful area for your walks. Some of your scenery looks like something that comes right out of a fairy tale. (castles and buildings that look like castles) Looks like it was a beautiful winter day, too. Nice blue sky.

Your candles are great. Who cares if they're a bit nobbly? :) Lavender is a pleasant and relaxing scent.

Thanks for taking the time, in the cold, to take pictures to share. Thank Kelly for taking the last one, too. Nice shot of the area.

Hope you've had a good Sunday.

Toriz said...

Chicago:
*Blushes* Thanks! :)

Sunfire:
No problem; thanks for taking the time to visit! :)

AK:
*Nods in agreement* Several parts of the UK are like it; especially areas with a lot of history in them like this place.

No problem; glad you liked the photos! :)

Intense Guy said...

When will you be lighting the candles?

I love that park - I want to walk in it (when its warmer) and then do the promenade by the sea too!

Toriz said...

Iggy:
Well, one of them I was keeping to light each evening of Yule (the big nobbly one), another I was going to light some time soon to try the candles out (probably one of the 5 little ones), and the others I was hoping to give to a couple of people I know who love scented candles.

Toriz said...

Iggy:
As for you doing the walks... When are you coming to visit then? ;)