Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Runic Ramblings

This week's "Pagan Blog Prompt" is the following:

Runes

Do you use them?
Which set of runes do you use (if something other than the Elder Futhark)?
How do you use them (divination, magic, as an alphabet for writing, etc)?

If you do not know/use the runes, are you interested in it?
What is keeping you from exploring them?


My thoughts:

I'd never given much thought to the runes; I'd think from time to time that it might be nice to learn to read them, but that's about it. Then AstraeaSapphire had a blog renaming contest, and I won. I had a choice of a set of runes or a tarot set as my prize. Well, I already have a set of tarot cards that I love, and have no desire to have another set, so I decided to go with the runes. I can't remember what set it is (and as they haven't arrived yet, I can't check), but I'm quite enthusiastic about the prospect of learning to read them.

Of course, then I ran in to the issue of how to identify which symbol is which. Runes are carved most of the time (and if the ones I won aren't, then my hubby - who also wants to learn to read them - will buy me a set that is, and have the set I won). But how was I going to figure out what the symbol was?

Rita reads the runes, and when I realized this - or, rather, was reminded of it - shortly after winning the rune set, I contacted her to ask for her help in making tactile symbols to become part of a chart I planned to make to solve the problem. The little clay tiles with symbols on them that Rita, her daughter-in-law, Leah, and (I think) her son, Dagan, made for me arrived just a couple of days ago. I will post photos when I can. Although, if you read Rita's blog then you'll have seen them already (and if you don't, you could go and look; the photos were posted a couple of weeks ago, though I don't remember exactly when).

Now I just need for Kelly (my hubby) to help me make the chart, and for my rune set to arrive, and then I'll be all ready to start learning to read the runes!

11 comments:

Rita said...

I sure hope you get your set of runes soon. Been a long time coming with your prize. :(

Leah and I made the runes. Dagan just checked them out and watched the process. Leah ran the clay through the pasta maker to soften it up and cut the shapes out with a small oval cookie cutter. Then I did the carving and baking. But then Dagan did the mailing and stood in line a long time. :) So we were all involved in one way or another.

Once you figure out how to make your chart I hope you take pictures. I'd be tempted to just buy a carved set since you both would like a set. Then you would know you had one carved set for sure. If the prize set shows up and it is carved then you could choose which one would work better for you and you'd each have a set. Just a thought. ;)

Hope you're having a good week. Mine is improving every day. :):)

Toriz said...

Rita:
Standing in line at the post office is helping, I think. ;)

Yes, I'll definately take pictures when the chart gets made.

I was wondering about doing that, actually; like you said, since we both want a set anyway...

My week's going OK so far. Sleep's all over the place though (speaking of which, I need a nap!)

Celticspirit said...

I have found that when I do a rune reading that it is exactly right for what is going on in my life at that moment. I have actually been surprised at how dead on they have been. I've also been doing tarot cards a bit but need more practice with those. It would be nice to learn what each card meant and the runes as well so I don't have to look them up each time. Anyhow...have fun with your runes.

Deanna said...

You have lost me! Enjoy and congratulations on winning the naming contest. That is cool.

Deanna

Sunshineshelle said...

Just popped in from Magaly's blog & don't know about Runes but sound facinating, may have to go do some research now :) Congrats on the win too, great name :)

AliceKay said...

I know Rita and Leah made a wonderful set of runes for you. I hope Kelly gets the chart made for you soon. I'll look forward to seeing pictures of both sets of runes.

Toriz said...

Barb:
I still don't have tarot cards memorized well enough to not need to look them up, and I've been doing readings with those on and off for 10 years, LOL!

Deanna:
That's OK; though if you want to understand I will try and explain.

And... Thanks!

Sunshineshelle:
Thanks; and thanks for visiting! :)

AK:
Might take a bit, but there will definately be pictures!

Connie Mitan said...

Very cool that you will have a way to work with the Runes. I hope you learn lots from them!
~Sunfire

Toriz said...

Sunfire:
Thanks for stopping by! :)

Intense Guy said...

I hope those super-cool runes Rita made have arrived!!

Toriz said...

Iggy:
The ones from Rita have; I just haven't gotten around to taking photos of them. Still waiting for the ones I won though...