Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A bit? That's not a bit!

"You may be a bit sore when the injection wears off," the dentist told me, reminding me that she'd had to poke me about a fair bit to get in at that wisdom tooth. "But don't worry about it unless it's very bad for too many days."

"OK," I said, thinking it wouldn't be a big deal. The pain from the broken tooth wasn't too bad, and I wasn't bothered by pain as a rule; I'm pretty good at ignoring it.

Usually.

This pain was different.

This pain was bad enough to make me skip lunch - since there was no way I was attempting to chew food with the pain - and grab for the medicine bottle; I even checked there was "adult medicine" available, just in case!

For those who don't know: I don't skip food; I can be eating egg sandwiches and drinking cocoa within an hour of being revived from an opperation (honestly; I've done exactly that). So if I skip meals there has to be a VERY good reason for it! And, I only take children's medicine. For one thing, since I try to avoid taking medicine if possible, it's plenty strong enough when I do finally take something. For another thing, children's medicines taste better, and since they work for me, I don't see why I should take the awful tasting adult stuff! Besides, it makes for interesting conversations with people at the chemists about 27 year old children, LOL!

Anyway, my usual medicine did the trick, so I didn't have to ttake the disgusting adult stuff. And, though I woke in the night with the pain, I just had some more medicine and then went back to sleep. The pain's not as bad today; it's in the "yeah, OK, it hurts a bit, but never mind," pain range now, so I can ignore it.

8 comments:

AliceKay said...

Yep, they can ache for awhile afterwards. I'm glad the pain meds helped some with the pain. Hope it feels better soon. *hugs*

Toriz said...

AK:
It's getting there. Of course, tomorrow I'm going back to have a tooth sorted on the other side, so you could find I'm back to being in a lot of pain by tomorrow evening. :(

Rita said...

You'll be so glad when they are all done! It's bad the first day or so, but then it gets more tolerable. I have always had a high pain tolerance, too, and didn't even notice my impacted molar, apparently for a very long time. Take it easy afterwards. Sending healing energy!! *hugs*

Autumn said...

I tried to avoid reading about your dental issues due to the CRINGE I get thinking about dentists but here I am ;-)

I totally understand your pain and bother. I know we feel better in the long run after it's all over but what a pain, literally!

Hope all is back to normal soon.

Intense Guy said...

Ouches!

I hope the pain is gone shortly and that you are done with the dentist for a goodly while.

Furry Bottoms said...

I really need to go to the dentist, but I think I can wait a bit after hearing this! I hope you are pain-free very very very soon!

Deanna said...

OUCH! At least it is behind you and you will have that other one over with soon. They you can breathe a sigh of relief. Huggsss

Toriz said...

Rita:
Thanks! *Hugs*

Autumn:
Thanks for reading despite your cringe issues! :)

Iggy:
The pain's going away (thankfully!)

Nikki:
The pain's because of how she cut the inside of my mouth trying to get in at the tooth. As long as that doesn't happen to you then you'll be fine! :)

Deanna:
Thanks! Unfortunately I had to have today's appointment rescheduled. Still, at least it means the cuts get to heal before I get pulled about again!