Thursday, February 23, 2012

Dentist: February 16th 2012 (PTMI)

A week ago I had my dentist appointment; it's taken me this long to post about it because of how many things I have that I want to post about (as usual). I still have some other things I want to get posted (including some reviews of books I've read recently), I just need to find the time to write the posts... You know how it is!

Anyway...

The taxi was as helpful as usual, but the driver couldn't deliver me to the receptionist. Why? Because nobody had thought to tell me that it's pointless me going early; they're shut between 1:00pm and 2:00pm for lunch. I arrived a little before 1:40pm. The taxi driver was reluctant to leave me, but he couldn't stay - he wasn't allowed to linger longer than necessary - and it was pointless my paying him to take me back home since by the time we got there it would be almost time to go back. So I told him to go, and promised that if I froze to death - since it was quite cold - I wouldn't hold him responsible for my fate, LOL!

The reason I thought someone should have mentioned it was the fact that my appointment was for 2:00pm exactly, so I'd have thought someone would have said, "don't bother coming early for it, since you're our first appointment after lunch," or something. Maybe they assumed someone had read the opening times to me? *Shrugs*

Anyway, part of the reason I was there so early was that I like to be early for appointments (I'm a firm believer in, "better early than late," when possible). The other part was that I wasn't sure exactly how long it would take to get there. The dentists' building is only a short walk from where we live, but some of the roads are accessable on foot and not by car, so I wasn't sure how long it would take by taxi.

Anyway...

Just after he left one of the dentists poked his head out of the door, saw me, and told me he'd come back at 2:00pm, but I'd have to wait until then. He then closed the door. I later discovered the reason why he left me out in the cold was that he and his family live in the building, and he was trying to give his young children lunch.

I suspected as much when he answered the door with a young child beside him chattering away, and had this confirmed when - a few minutes before he was due to come back for me - the receptionist returned from her own lunch and took me inside, where a woman (the children's Mother, I assume) was getting the children ready to clear out of the place. I'm not sure if they were school-age children, because last week was half-term week, which means that most children weren't in school. I know one of them at least - the one who was with the dentist when he answered the door - was no more than 4 or 5; well, I don't know, it's just a guess based on his speach level.

But, enough of that...

They were as helpful as the people were at the doctors surgery, which is a plus in my book (especially since I need that to be the case). And they seem like decent dentists. I'm not sure if there are two or more of them, but I know there are definately the two, since there's a male dentist (the one who answered the door) and a woman dentist (the one who appears to be my dentist).

Because of the fact it took so long to do the thorough examination of my mouth, x-rays of my teeth, double check paperwork, etc - you know, all that annoying new patient stuff - they didn't get to fixing my tooth. So I have another appointment for Tuesday (February 28th). It's another 45 minute one. Partially because of the fact that, where it's a wisdom tooth, the tooth is so far back in my mouth it's going to be tricky to fix (the dentist did half consider just pulling it out, but - thankfully - decided there was enough tooth to save it). And partially because the couple of other teeth that I thought "might" be close to going the same way are (though it took the x-rays for the dentist to be sure). The plan is that if my wisdom tooth can be fixed quicker than planned then the others will be sorted the same day, but if not, then I'll have to go back for them to be done another day.

We also discussed the bottom wisdom teeth, which still wont - or can't - break through the gums. My new dentist - like my old dentist - thinks that as long as they aren't bothering me (which they aren't) then they should just be left alone. If they start hurting then I'll be sent in to hospital to have them removed (the only option when your gums have to be cut open to remove a tooth stuck under them). But if not then I'm to leave them alone, and they'll either find room to push through, or rot in the gums. Neither really sounds pleasant, but the "leave them alone, since they aren't hurting," option keeps me out of hospital, so I like it!

I guess this is my punishment for gloating about not having had to have much work done on my teeth, huh? Hmmm... I'd hoped I'd at least make it to 30 before I had to join the people who have to regularly make more than the "quick check-up" trips to the dentist. I guess it wasn't to be, LOL!

13 comments:

Bobby said...

I also used to ignore my wisdom tooth when it doesn't hurt. But when the pain kicks in, it's so severe that I can't concentrate on my job. One time, it got so bad that I contacted my dentist for an emergency, even though it was three in the morning. So I make it a habit to go to my dentist as early as possible. Anyway, I hope you feel alright after the procedure.


Bobby Schaeffer

Rita said...

That's what they told me. And I ignored it for many, many years until my jaw swelled up. Don't ignore any pain you have and you'll be fine. I couldn't tell because I hurt all over and other parts of my body were much more painful than my jaw rotting away so I never noticed it--LOL! But I had no dental coverage for years and wasn't going, either. So, just go and do what they say and you'll be fine. They sound pretty nice there. My new dentist is really nice, too. Even though I hate dentists just because of previous experiences, I know this clinic is good.

I'm glad you know about the lunch hour now, too. ;) I'll be finding out soon if I have to go back, too. I hope you get things done in as few visits as possible. :)

Deanna said...

I'm surprised the dentist didn't invite you inside to wait, even if he was tending to family. That would have been the nice thing to do. I'm glad they seem like good dentists and that you like them. Hopefuly you won't have to have the wisdom teeth removed!

AliceKay said...

I'm with Deanna. I was surprised the dentist didn't allow you to come inside out of the cold. Whether or not they were having lunch or tending to children, you could have sat and waited inside where it was warm. Sometimes I don't understand people. :\

I'm glad you think they're nice dentists. I hope the next appointment goes well and everything goes along as quickly as possible. I also hope your wisdom teeth don't cause you any pain and they can stay inside your mouth. :)

I had all four wisdom teeth extracted when I was in my late 20s. Three were impacted (hurt like heck) and two had roots growing down under the jaw bone. Karen had hers extracted when she was in her early 20s. She had the same problem. Marty still has his, as far as I know, and he'll be 30 in July. We never had dental insurance and still don't. Gets rather expensive.

I'm having problems with some upper front teeth but not sure if it's teeth or sinuses. Had that same problem a couple of years ago and it turned out to be the tooth. Remember that root canal I posted about? :(

ChicagoLady said...

I think I'm a little envious of you. I have to close my eyes when I go to the dentist so I don't see the instruments. You don't have that problem! LOL

I had my 6 month checkup yesterday, and everything was good. I still need to have 2 wisdom teeth pulled that I've been putting off for years. Every time I go in my dentist hounds me about removing them but I'm a chicken and a procrastinator, not a good combination.

Good luck at your next visit.

Toriz said...

Bobby:
Thanks for visiting.

We can't call the dentist at 3:00am here; only place open for medical treatment at that time of the night here is A&E (ER).

Rita:
Don't worry, I'll make sure to let them know if I start getting pain. ;)

I hope you get everything done in as few visits as possible too1!

Deanna:
Yeah, I was a bit irritated about that, but there's not much I can do about it. The receptionist didn't sound at all surprised when she learned the dentist hadn't been willing to let me in and wait though, so I guess it's normal for them. I suppose it was their attempt at keeping family and business seporated? *Shrugs* Still, I don't see why I couldn't have sat quietly in a corner of the waiting room or something. But I decided not to hold it against them, since - in all other ways - they treated me right and seemed nice enough.

AK:
I agree; they could have let me in... Especially since it was cold out there... See the part of my comment directed at Deanna for the rest of my thoughts on them not letting me in.

I hope it all gets sorted quickly too!

Yep, I remember... Hope whatever the problem is this time it can be sorted easily, quickly, and without too much expense!

Chicago:
LOL! Actually, I'm the kind of person who always wanted to see what they were using, know what it's used for, etc. I always used to watch the needles going in my arm when I had injections, or when they were taking blood, etc. I suppose where I was in and out of hospital for one thing or another, seeing doctors all the time, etc, when I was really small I just got so used to it all that I just wanted to know what they were going to do this time. ;)

Yeah, that is a bad combination. I'm no chicken, but I can be a bit of a procrastinator sometimes. A perfect example being the tooth that's due to be fixed Tuesday... I broke it at the end of December, yet it took me until the start of February to do anything about getting registered at a dentist so I could make an appointment to get it fixed. And then it was only because as we got to the end of January it started hurting, which made it difficult to ignore.

Serena Lewis said...

I've always rocked up for doctor or dentist appointments early as, sometimes, they will take you in earlier than your appointment time. However, here dental practices or medical centres don't actually close their doors for lunch so you would have been able to go and sit in the waiting room at least. They should have told you.

It's nice that they were helpful tho.

I really need to have one of my wisdom teeth extracted because it is affecting other teeth. Hopefully, you won't need to have that happen in your case.

Toriz said...

Serena:
To be honest, this is the first time I've known this to happen; I can only assume it was because it's a private residence as well as a dentists' surgery? I mean, I always thought doctors and dentists were open at lunch time for anyone wanting to be seen during lunch break? *Shrugs*

The Coexist Cafe said...

I'm with Deanna, too! I mean, I understand they have kids eating and whatever, but it still would have been nice. Oh well, what can you do.

This post makes me squirm! I recently went to the dentist, too, and he said all four wisdom teeth need to come out, ugh. I'll probably have that done this year, which I'm soooo excited about. At least my dentist is amazing and the surgeon is, too, and the teeth are all through the gums. They're still knocking me out, though, you bet! You're lucky you get to keep yours. :)

And no worries about not making it to 30 without some dental work! If it helps, I've had quite a number of cavities filled already with more to come, and all before 18. ;) Whew, teeth, seriously!!

The Coexist Cafe said...

OMG, and I just saw your other comment... it broke in December?! How did you manage to wait that long?! I had a tooth break last year around Christmas, and ohhhhh my god, the pain. The PAIN. It was unbearable! I almost OD'ed on painkillers, I was taking so many. Had an appointment the very next day.

I really hope they can fix it and make the pain go away! <3

Toriz said...

Stephanie:
*Shrugs* I guess I just have a high pain threshold. Also, I got used to ignoring pain for as long as possible when I was getting so much of it with my eyes, so maybe that's part of it too? *Shrugs again*

True... I have done better with my teeth than a lot of people, so I should be glad about that. Only thing I had done before I was 18 was a tooth capped, and that was because it came through too soon so wasn't fully developed (my brother knocked my front teeth out when I was 5; he went to punch my other brother - who I was stood behind - but he moved, so I got punched instead).

Intense Guy said...

I guess, on the bright side, if you were frozen numb by the time they saw you - you wouldn't feel any of the pokes, pries, and prods?

:)

Toriz said...

Iggy:
True, LOL!