On the first day of Christmas, my true love sent to me: a partridge in a pear tree.
The partridge stood alone in the pear tree. What is your favorite stand alone?
It's got to be "A Little Princess" by Frances Hodgson Burnett, which is my absolute favourite book ever. Of course, I could name others. But this one practically leaps to mind, so it has to be my choice.
On the second day of Christmas, my true love sent to me: two turtle doves.
Love is in the air! Who is your one true pairing?
I'm going to have to go with Ayla and Jondalar from Jean M. Auel's "Earth's Children" series. They go so well together, even if I sometimes want to slap some sense in to them.
On the third day of Christmas, my true love sent to me: Three French Hens.
In the spirit of threes, what is the best trilogy you have read?
This is a tough one. One that immediately leaps to mind is David Estes' "Slip" trilogy though, so let's go with that one. It really is an awesome series, after all.
On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me: four calling birds.
Since series usually consist of four or more books, what is your favourite series?
It's definitely more than four books, but I have to go with J K Rowling's "Harry Potter" series. There are others I love, but I can't get enough of Harry Potter, so I have to pick it, even though there are several others I could list too.
On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me: five golden rings.
One ring to rule them all! Who is your Favorite Villain/Antagonist?
The ghost from "Dark Matter" by Michelle Paver. Very few books scare me, but this one did, and it's because of him. Even now, more than a year after the last time I re-read the book, I get a shiver down my spine thinking of him.
On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me: six geese a laying.
Creation is a beautiful thing. What is your favourite world/world-building?
Having several favourite books, there are a lot of books - stand alones and series, but especially series - where I absolutely love the worldbuilding. I could easily mention the "Harry Potter" series again, for example. In fact, I just did. But I also want to mention the worldbuilding in Terri Brooks' "Landover" series, which is just amazing. That's another favourite series of mine, and one you should totally read, if you love fantasy books, and haven't read it already. Then there's the "Chronicles Of Narnia" books... I want to go to Narnia! Actually, I also want to go to Landover, and Hogwarts, and... Oops! I think I was only meant to pick one book or series...
On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love sent to me: seven swans a swimming.
Who needs seven swans when all it takes is one good animal sidekick? Who’s your favourite animal sidekick?
This one is the easiest question on here. It's got to be Hex from David Estes' "Salem's Revenge" trilogy. I know I named some of his books in a previous question, but the things that dog can do are just amazing. Best fictional dog ever!
On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me: eight maids a milking.
Milk is so 18th century. Which book or series takes beverages/food to a whole new level?
This is another time I could give a shout-out to the "Harry Potter" books. But I also have to agree with Ari about the Dwarf Bread from Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" series. Don't know what it is? Read this:
“Rock-hard (and indeed contains various rocks such as gravel), never goes stale, and is terribly sustaining. A traveller can go for miles, just knowing there’s dwarf bread in their pack. A traveller can think of just about anything to eat rather than dwarf bread including their own foot and even pumpkins”
~taken from this page on the Discworld and Terry Pratchett Wiki
On the ninth day of Christmas my true love sent to me: nine ladies dancing.
Dancing is just one skill of a Lady! Who is your favourite kickass female lead?
This is a really tough one to answer. But I'm going to have to go with Adelle from David Estes' "Dwellers Saga" books. Yeah, I know this is now the third time I've mentioned David Estes. But he's a great author, and I love his books. Anyway, Adelle is a great character. She's tough, and can fight her way out of a situation when she needs to. But she's also got a quick mind, and a big heart. She's the kind of person you want on your team, that's for sure. I'd like to give a mention to Pippi from the "Pippi Longstocking" books by Astrid Lindgren too. She's great fun, strong and brave, and has a horse. I wish she was my neighbour and friend!
On the tenth day of Christmas my true love sent to me: ten lords a leaping.
How about your favourite leading lad?
Again, this was a difficult one to answer. I think I'm going to have to go with Harry Dresden from Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files" series though. I haven't actually finished the series yet, but I've loved the books I've read so far. Harry is funny, his heart's in the right place, and he has a nice balance of extra abilities from his magic, and restrictions because of being a human. He's kind of like Batman, but with magic instead of gadgets. Batman being my favourite superhero.
On the eleventh day of Christmas my true love sent to me: eleven pipers piping.
What is your favourite book or bookish thing with musical influence? (It can be about music, reference music a lot etc.)
I just loved Anne McCaffrey's "Harper Hall" trilogy. Menolly is a great character, and the books are wonderful.
On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love sent to me: 12 drummers drumming.
Drum roll please…what is your favourite read of this year?
I'm sure you won't be surprised to learn that this is another really difficult one to answer. I've read a lot of really awesome books this year. But, since I need to decide... I'm going to pick two. One for fiction, and one for non-fiction. My choices are "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline for fiction, and "Endurance" by Scott Kelly for non-fiction. "Ready Player One" was a fantastic book, with amazing worldbuilding, and a great cast of characters. "Endurance" was fascinating; I loved getting to learn about Scott Kelly's year in space.
4 comments:
This is a fun one, Tori. I found myself making my answers up as I was reading yours!
Jeanie:
Haha! Glad you were having so much fun with it! Hope you'll be sharing your answers?
This was definitely a fun tag. I'm glad you did it! Thanks for sharing your answers. I almost put Harry Potter for my favorite "series" but I put that down for a lot of answers, lol.
Rachel:
Glad you enjoyed reading my answers. Yeah, we both had Harry Potter show up a lot, LOL!
Post a Comment