Thursday, January 23, 2020

#AmReading + #AmWatching + #AmListening - Media Shares And #Reviews 23-01-20

You may have tangible wealth untold; caskets of jewels and coffers of gold. Richer than I you can never be. I had a mother who read to me.
~Strickland Gillian

Welcome to this week's weekly media shares and reviews post!

*Disclaimer: no matter what's being reviewed, all opinions in this post are entirely my own, and I reserve the right to have them, regardless of who may or may not share them. Feel free to express your own in the comments, but please respect my right - and the rights of other commenters - to have opinions that might differ from yours, and to express those opinions too.

Also, please remember that I read/watch/listen to things in a variety of genres, and for all ages, so you should make sure you check that the book/movie/show/song is suitable for the intended audience before reading/watching/listening to it, especially if children are involved. I take no responsibility for anything which may happen as a result of failing to do so.

If you want to know more about the book, or the author, click on whichever it is you want to learn more about, and it will take you to the appropriate page on Goodreads. Clicking on my rating should take you to my actual Goodreads review for the book in question. Please bear in mind that the format I've reviewed on Goodreads may not be the format I actually read.

Alternatively, if it's a movie or TV show you want to know more about, just click on the title to go to a page where you can find out more details about the movie or TV show in question; the title links will usually take you to a page on IMDB.

Unless otherwise stated, all music videos are via YouTube.


Good news for those who post reviews on Amazon, as well as authors with books on Amazon: Amazon has amalgamated the US and UK reviews. Now, if they could just make it that reviews from Goodreads also show up on Amazon - after all, they do own that as well these days - it would make my life a whole lot easier, and my own review numbers a little bigger. Just saying!

Anyway... Let's see what I've been reading, watching, and listening to, and which song I'm going to share this week, shall we? After all, that's the point of this post, and why you're here today, right?

  • Reading:
This week I read four books. So, here's what I read, along with my book reviews.

The Gate (Astral Conspiracy, #1)The Gate by D.L. Cross
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is a fantastic fast-paced and action packed read, with some great characters, and a plot that explores some interesting legends and theories.

The Scout: Dark CrossingsThe Scout: Dark Crossings by D.L. Cross
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is an excellent short read for fans of the kind of sci-fi stories involving aliens, with a delightful twist. Highly recommended.

Silvery Earth Kids and Related Short StoriesSilvery Earth Kids and Related Short Stories by Barbara G. Tarn
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
It was fantastic to get to read an accessable version of the strips I'd been hearing about on the author's blog, and I enjoyed them very much. The bonus stories were a great addition as well, and I also enjoyed reading those. I always love reading stories from this world, and meeting all the characters from the various races - magical and otherwise - and these were no exception.

Magical FriendsMagical Friends by Barbara G. Tarn
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is an excellent book in its own right, but even better in my opinion for allowing us to find out what happens to the characters we learned to love in "Silvery Earth Kids" years later.

  • Watching:
This week didn't involve quite as much time watching things as the past couple of weeks have, but I still watched a few things, and enjoyed what I watched. I watched some more episodes of "NCIS" season 12. I also watched some episodes of the "Bananas In Pyjamas" TV show, because I saw it was on Amazon Prime - I genuinely came across it accidentally when looking for a movie or TV show to watch next on there, and can only assume it came up as a suggestion because of me recently watching "Rugrats" on there - and just couldn't resist taking another little trip down memory lane by watching it, having watched at least many of the episodes when it originally came out, first by myself, and then with little ones I was babysitting (at least, that was always my excuse).

  • Listening:
This week I've been listening to music most mornings again, so I have plenty of tunes I could pick from to share with you, and could easily share several. But I only want to be sharing one song in these posts, so here's "Meant To Be" by Bebe Rexha and Florida Georgia Line for your listening pleasure; a song I first heard when young Claire Crosby sang it with her Dad more than a year ago.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

Some of those look a little dark for me!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Yeah, they probably are. To be honest, I'd have been surprised if you expressed a desire to read any of the books I mentioned this week.