Friday, January 24, 2020

#FurkidFriday: Artemis The Hermann's #Tortoise

Hello everyone.

I'm new around here, so let me introduce myself.

I am a four and a half month old Hermann's Tortoise; according to my official records, I was hatched on September 6th 2019 (assuming the humans understand it correctly). But that's what I am. As for exactly who I am: my name is Artemis. At least, that has been my name for the past two weeks, which is how long I have lived with my adoptive human parents. I was simply "tortoise" before that.

Though Artemis is often considered a girl's name, due to it being the name of the Greek Goddess of the moon and the hunt, and twin sister of the Greek Sun God, Apollo, according to Greek mythology, Artemis is technically a unisex name. In fact, these days it's more often used for boys when it's used by Greek parents, as a hope the boy will either be blessed by the Goddess, or be strong and wise like her and able to provide for himself and his family. It's the fact it's technically a unisex name that I got the name.

You see, though fully matured Hermann's tortoises are easy to establish the gender of, when we are young, as I am, the task is all but impossible. I will be six years old before anyone can be 100% certain whether I am a male or female tortoise, though guesses can potentially be made in the meantime based on the speed of my growth. But they would only be guesses, since it's too difficult for you humans to tell before that. That's how it goes when you mature slowly and have a long lifespan, which is the case for me. Of course, I'm not about to volunteer the information.

So, with that in mind, and needing something more than "the tortoise" to call me in the meantime, my new human parents decided to pick a unisex name for me. Artemis was Daddy's favourite of the ones Mummy liked. So, I am Artemis.

I can only assume, since I eat mostly greens, it was the strength and wisdom of the Goddess the humans were thinking of.

Anyway, the humans - especially the female one known as Mummy - were apparently quite eager to get photographic evidence of my presence in their home. So, for those of you who would like to see them, here are some videos and photos the humans took of me exploring my new habitat when I first arrived here, which those of you following Mummy on YouTube or social media may have already seen.





















It seems like a pleasant enough place to have ended up. The food is fantastic too...









As I mentioned above, I eat mainly greens, which Mummy is happy to share with me. I especially enjoy those things called, "Sprouts," Mummy sometimes gives me as my serving of greens for the day, which Mummy was pleased to discover, since she apparently loves those too. I also get some special pellets, which I'm not quite as fond of, but do at least like more than the powdery vitamin stuff Mummy says I have to have on my food to keep me healthy (something about making sure I have enough calcium and vitamin C). Needless to say, I eat the greens Mummy missed putting that stuff on first.

Despite the vitamin stuff, I think I like it here though. The greens are good, like I said, my habitat is a comfortable temperature so that I'm warm enough to move about well when I want to, and I think I like cuddles with Mummy too...


She's warm, and spends the whole time we're cuddling telling me what a great tortoise I am. I like that.

For anyone wondering how tiny I am: I measure 6cms (a little over 2ins) based on shell length, and weigh 50g (2oz). At least, I did when all these photos were taken, though since then I've gained a whole 2mm in length, and 5g in weight.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed getting to meet me today. But, if you don't mind, I'll be off. After all, I'm still a very young tortoise, which means I take a lot of naps, and I'm getting kind of sleepy...


Artemis the tortoise

P.S. I hope you don't mind me posting in a "Furkid Friday" segment when I, as a reptile, have no fur. Daddy says you shouldn't mind, since it's simply the name of the "pet" feature. Mummy and I hope that's the case. We'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter though. What do you think? Does it matter to you if a reptile posts as part of the "Furkid Friday" cast?

2 comments:

Rita said...

I think you can think of it as PetKid Friday. You are both cute and handsome. Looks like a wonderful family and a great home. Love your name. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Thank you for your input and compliments.

Artemis