Thursday, January 09, 2020

#AmReading + #AmWatching + #AmListening - Media Shares And #Reviews 09-01-20

In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you.
~Mortimer J. Adler

Welcome to this week's weekly media shares and reviews post!

*Disclaimer: no matter what's being reviewed, all opinions in this post are entirely my own, and I reserve the right to have them, regardless of who may or may not share them. Feel free to express your own in the comments, but please respect my right - and the rights of other commenters - to have opinions that might differ from yours, and to express those opinions too.

Also, please remember that I read/watch/listen to things in a variety of genres, and for all ages, so you should make sure you check that the book/movie/show/song is suitable for the intended audience before reading/watching/listening to it, especially if children are involved. I take no responsibility for anything which may happen as a result of failing to do so.

If you want to know more about the book, or the author, click on whichever it is you want to learn more about, and it will take you to the appropriate page on Goodreads. Clicking on my rating should take you to my actual Goodreads review for the book in question. Please bear in mind that the format I've reviewed on Goodreads may not be the format I actually read.

Alternatively, if it's a movie or TV show you want to know more about, just click on the title to go to a page where you can find out more details about the movie or TV show in question; the title links will usually take you to a page on IMDB.

Unless otherwise stated, all music videos are via YouTube.


OK. Let's see what I've been reading, watching, and listening to, and which song I'm going to share this week, shall we? After all, that's the point of this post, and why you're here today, right?

  • Reading:
This week I read a lot. I ended up reading four books. So, here's what I read, along with my book reviews.

Besieged (Valkyrie Academy Dragon Alliance, #9)Besieged by Katrina Cope
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This was an amazing addition to the series, with some beautiful moments, and some really entertaining ones too. I highly recommend this book, along with the rest of the series, especially if your a fan of dragons and Norse mythology.
*NOTE: I was given a free advanced copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review. This fact has in no way influenced either my opinion of the book, or the contents of this review.

The Dalai Lama's Cat (The Dalai Lama's Cat, #1)The Dalai Lama's Cat by David Michie
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is an excellent book, which will give you plenty to think about. Whether you're a Buddhist, follow a different spiritual path, or have no chosen path at all, it's a great reminder to practice mindfulness. What better way to be reminded to live in the moment than through the eyes of a cat?

The Dalai Lama's Cat: Guided MeditationsThe Dalai Lama's Cat: Guided Meditations by David Michie
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
These are excellent. They take you through a few simple yoga stretches and meditations, which would be an excellent starting point for anyone new to either practice, but could also be benificial to those who have some experience with yoga and meditation.

The Art of Purring (The Dalai Lama's Cat, #2)The Art of Purring by David Michie
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is another excellent and thought-provoking book, purrfect for those who want a reminder to practice mindfulness, regardless of any spiritual path you may or may not follow. So, what makes you purr? Perhaps, by the end of this book, you'll know the answer to that question.

  • Watching:
This weekend I had some quality time with the furkids and my DVD collection, and binge watched all of "NCIS" season 11 (much to Mollie's delight) and also watched a new to me movie. See below for details and a review for the movie.

The Lion King (2019 movie):
Being a big fan of the 1994 version of this movie - and a fan of lions in general; lions are one of my absolute favourite animals, after all - I've been eager to get to watch this movie. Thankfully, I was not disappointed. It's just as good as the old one I know and love, with only a few minor tweaks to how things are done, which are enough to give it a new freshness without taking away the elements that made me love the other version. So, I give this movie five out of five stars.

  • Listening:
This week I've been listening to very little music again, and am having trouble picking a favourite from the few I have listened to. With that in mind, I decided to pick one connected to the movie I watched this week, so... Here's "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" by Elton John, from the 1994 version of "The Lion King" for your listening pleasure. Yes, I'm sharing the song from the 1994 version, even though I watched the 2019 version this week.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

You had me at Dalai Lama's Cat! Love cat books. And Elton!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
If you read them, I hope you enjoy them as much as I am. I say, "Am," because there are more in the series, and I'm currently reading the next one.