Thursday, December 04, 2008

Chestnuts roasting in an electric oven (FD)

Yeah, I know, it doesn't quite have the same ring to it. We didn't have much choice though. I wanted to try roasted chestnuts and we couldn't have an open fire in the back yard, so it was the oven or nothing.

Next time I'm going for the "nothing" option.

Yep, you got it, I didn't really like them. My Mam did though. She sat and quite happily munched away at them until she was full (by which time they were pretty much gone anyway).

Kelly says they're a lot nicer cooked on an open fire... Maybe one day I'll have the oppertunity to see if that's true? In the meantime, my Mam can keep the chestnuts... I think I'll stick to mince pies!

Anyway...

Today (December 4th) is my Grandad's birthday. So... "Happy birthday, Grandad!" :)

Tori

11 comments:

KAYLEE said...

Tori, I really need to talk I am staying up tonight!

LadyStyx said...

They arent bad from an open fire. Taste much like unbuttered potatoes if I recall. At least that was my impression of them. A good dowsing of butter and some salt would fix em up right nicely.

MarmiteToasty said...

We LOVE roasted chestnuts..... we are lucky enough to have a big open log fire (see photo in sidebar of Twaddle).... and we have this special little antique chestnut pan that has little holes in it like a collandar so the heat cooks the chestnuts proper..... we also buy little bags of hot chestnuts when we go into town the week before crimbo to the crimbo street market....

happy birthday to your grandad......

x

Tori_z said...

Kaylee:
Sorry, had a bad night so went back to bed for a couple of hours.

Styxie:
Yeah, Kelly did say about the butter and salt thing.

Toasty:
Kelly only likes them cooked on an open fire, so maybe I'm the same? One day maybe I'll get to find out.

Punkn said...

I've never had roasted chestnuts - open fire or otherwise. I'll add that to my list of things to do next time we have our fire pit going. Happy Birthday to your Grandad!

MarmiteToasty said...

building a little bonfire in Tori's back garden so they can have roasted chestnuts :)

x

ChicagoLady said...

I've never tried chestnuts, roasted on an open fire or any other way.

*Goes off singing Chets nuts roasting on an open fire...*

Intense Guy said...

I've only ever seen chess nuts boasting in an open foyer...

*groans*

Tori_z said...

Punkn:
How long is your list of things you'd like to do some day?;)

Toasty:
Awww... Thanks! :)

Chicago:
Well, at least it's chestnuts not chipmunks you're singing about. LOL!

Iggy:
LOL! What are we going to do with you?

Punkn said...

lmao iggy - what meds are you on!
oh my Tori the list is definitely longer than Santa's

Tori_z said...

Punkn:
I thought it might be. ;)