Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The leaf monster (AE&D)

It was a cold and frosty morning at the start of December. The wind wasn't blowing all that strongly, and there was no sign of any rain. It was - I thought - a perfect oppertunity for a walk with the dog. So, I got both myself and him ready, and we set off in to the cold December morning air.

It only took us a few moments to reach the path near the river where we walk. Once there I realised that there were still some frozen leaves on the ground near the edges of the path. No matter, them being there neither affects nor bothers me. I gave them little thought, only half noticing the crunching sound my feet made as I stepped on the ones that were further on to the path.

We hadn't gone far when I heard a noise. It sounded like someone - or something - was behind us. The "someone" was kicking aside leaves as they gained on us.

I stopped, and listened... "Someone" stopped too... I carried on walking... So did "someone"...

By now I was becoming worried, and decided I didn't want to go for a walk after all. So, I headed home as fast as I could (which is a difficult thing to do while trying to use a cane and walk a dog who wants to sniff everything we pass).

It was only when we were almost home that I realised that my "someone" wasn't a leaf monster or someone following us on our walk. Nope... It was Kero and my cane pushing aside leaves as we walked. At least... That's what I tell myself.

But was it? Or is there a leaf monster lurking near the path just waiting to jump out on unsuspecting people as they walk their dogs?

I don't know the answer. But... If one day I don't return from one of my walks with Kero... You'll know why!

Tori

10 comments:

AliceKay said...

That sounds kinda scary to me. To be honest, I'm a little afraid of the dark. We have lots of animals around here that come out at night and I wouldn't want to encounter one when walking outside of my place. *hugs to you*

MarmiteToasty said...

You should of spun round and whipped by cane in a huge circle lol..... but, knowing your luck, you would of whipped and whirled and fallen in the dam river LOL...

x

Celticspirit said...

That sounds a bit scary. I'm glad you're ok. Do you bring a cell phone with you when you go out? It might be a good idea.

Punkn said...

*Shivers* How is Kero at protection? Does he wolf at the big bad boogie monsters? LOL Marmie.

Huggssss Tori - glad u r ok and the leaf monster didn't get you.

LadyStyx said...

So THAT'S where the iggy impersonator got himself to!

ChicagoLady said...

So that Iggy Impersonator made his way to Wales, and is impersonating a leaf monster? Scary thought!

Tori_z said...

Thanks for the comments all... And the hugs. :)

AK:
Though I'm with you 100% on not wanting to encounter night time animals unprepared, I'd rather know I'm facing something - even if it was a skunk or something - than not know. It's easier to know how to react if you know what you're up against.

Toasty:
LOL! You're funny!

One flaw in that though... If it really was a leaf monster, wouldn't the cane just swipe through him like a pile of leaves and not do any damage?

Celtic:
Yes, I've always got my cell phone with me when I go out. Especially if I'm out on my own (meaning, no other humans). It's the condition we (Kelly and I) agreed upon for me going out without another human... No phone, no walk!

It's a contract phone, so it's always got credit. And it's very rare that the battery in it is low since I charge it regularly (and if I'm not sure then I can always plug it in for a while before going out).

Punkn:
I honestly don't know. He's quick to bark at strange noises and such, and he has given warning growls to people before if he feels I'm being threatened. But how he would really react in the face of real danger is anyone's guess. All I know for sure is that if he's scared he will head for home as soon as possible. Whether he'd stick around to defend me first I have no idea. I hope I never have to find out.

Styxie:
LOL! So that's who it was? Those Ochas are gonna be in big trouble when someone catches up with them... First they impersinate Iggy, now they're pretending to be leaf monsters... What will they pretend to be next?

Tori_z said...

Chicago:
Yeah, it is... Damn! Looks like I was right to ssay I'd keep an eye out for them coming over here. I never thought they'd dress up as a leaf monster though. I thought maybe they'd impersinate another person.

Intense Guy said...

Firstly - it wasn't me. I do not know where the iggy impersonator is - but if he is over there, he is either naked or wearing someone elses clothes since I've gotten all mine back!

I hope this doesn't mean you won't keep going out and walking - life's uncertain but still...take precautions like you are and go for it... the leaf monster was probably nothing. :)

Tori_z said...

Iggy:
Maybe that's why the Iggy impersinator was covered in leaves? Lack of clothes... Maybe it was cold? Or embarrassed at being nakid?

Seriously though. I've been out since the leaf monster incident. If I let monsters stop me from going somewhere or doing something I'd never get out of bed. ;)