Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmasy reviews

First of all, did you know that the previous post was my 1000th post? Hmm... Maybe I talk too much? LOL!

Anyway... On to the reviews I promised!

Movies:

"All I Want For Christmas"... Which is a movie I've had for many years about a little girl named "Hallie" who asks Father Christmas to get her parents to get back together, which prompts her older brother "Ethan" to come up with a plan to try and make her Christmas wish come true. It's a really good movie... Or, I think it is.

"An All Dogs Christmas Carol"... This one's an animated movie about some dogs who use a "miracle dog tag" to re inact the story of A Christmas Carol in order to persuade a nasty dog not to help an even nastier dog to ruin Christmas. It's a cute movie based on the characters from "All Dogs Go To Heaven."

"How The Grinch Stole Christmas" (the animated version)... Basically, the poem by Dr Seuss with animation. Need I say more? ;)

Books:

"A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens... I don't think I need to tell you about this one. If I do then, seriously, where have you been? This one's a classic, and has been done in so many different versions I've lost track! The version I have though is the original version by Charles Dickens himself.

"Letters From Father Christmas" by J R R Tolkien... Yes, I did say "J R R Tolkien" - honestly! This is a book containing some letters that J R R Tolkien's children recieved from "Father Christmas" after they asked what Father Christmas did other than deliver presents. The letters contain amusing stories about what happens at the North Pole and what the North Polar Bear gets up to. It's definately good for a chuckle! :)

"A Candle In The Forest" by Temple Bailey... This one is a new find. I spotted it on a site that does braille books and thought I'd grab myself a copy to see if it was as good as it sounded. It was! It's a story about a poor family and a rich family who live next door to each other and how the poor family - despite having few possessions and only just enough money to live on - are actually richer because they have something money can't buy... Love! The story is set at Christmas, and shows the boy from the wealthy family learning how much better off the family next door is because they have each other, they have love, and they have the ability to be greatful for the little things. It shows us how a pile of presents can't compare to having your family near you and showing you that they care about you... A lesson many people in this world need to be taught!

Tori

8 comments:

Kati said...

Yeah for the 1000th post, Tori!!!

Wishing you a Blessed Yule!!! Hope your holidays are going well.

Intense Guy said...

Congrats on post number one thousand and one! I hope you post another thousand and more.

I've never heard of "Letters From Father Christmas" by J R R Tolkien but it sounds like something I would find fascinating.

:)

ChicagoLady said...

How The Grinch Stole Christmas was always one of my favorites growing up. My dad and I would always watch it together.

Congratulations on your 1000th post.

LadyStyx said...

Congrats on making it over the 1000 mark. I have no clue where I am considering the number of places I blog...

MarmiteToasty said...

WOW 1000 posts..... bloody hell lmfao.... I doubt I will ever catch up with you... congrats to you...

Thought I had been start trying so Twaddle is up lmfao

AliceKay said...

Wow....1000th post. That's a lot of posting. :)

How The Grinch Stole Christmas is a favorite of mine, too, Chicagolady. We used to watch it when I was a kid, sometimes while decorating the Christmas tree. Terri and I just watched it (both the original version and the Jim Carrey version)the other night.

Tori_z said...

Kati:
Thanks... Yule blessings to you too! :)

IggyL:
I'd not heard of it until recently either, but according to my brother (Carl) it's been around for years. The publication date mentioned in it fits that. I think you probably would find it amusing. :)

Chicago:
I'd never seen the animated version until after seeing the movie. Dr Seuss only really started getting popular over here after the movie came out. And it was only a few years back they started showing "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" on TV over here. I actually had the DVD before it started being shown on TV.

Styxie:
That's only on this blog. If I was counting posts on all blogs I'd have made it past the 1000 mark ages ago. I mean, there are almost 280 poems on my poetry blog, then there's all the recipes... You get the point. So I was just counting the posts on this blog.

Toasty:
Nah, I don't think you're gonna catch up. Not unless you do some serious posting for the next couple of months while I settle for a post a month or something. LOL!

AK:
I watched the movie version a few days back. Actually, it might have been more like a week ago. Either way, I have watched it this year. :)

Tori_z said...

*Sneaks in and removes the l from the end of Iggy's name*

Don't know how that got there. *Looks confused*