Monday, December 08, 2008

Movies, my Monday and an audiobook (LBE & FD)

Going to start with the audiobook...

It's the one MarmiteToasty sent me, and it's called "Winter Solstice" and is by Rosamunde Pilcher. I actually finished listening to it about a week ago, but never got around to posting about it.

The following is the synopsis for the book on Play (http://www.play.co.uk/):

"Elfrida Phipps loves her new life in the pretty Hampshire village. She has a tiny cottage, her faithful dog Horace and the friendship of the neighbouring Blundells - particularly Oscar - to ensure that her days include companionship as well as independence. But an unforeseen tragedy upsets Elfrida's tranquillity: Oscar's wife and daughter are killed in a terrible car crash and he finds himself homeless when his stepchildren claim their dead mother's inheritance. Oscar and Elfrida take refuge in a rambling house in Scotland which becomes a magnet for various waifs and strays who converge upon it, including an unhappy teenage girl. It could be a recipe for disaster. But somehow the Christmas season weaves its magical spell and for Elfrida and Oscar, in the evening of their lives, the winter solstice brings love and solace."

It's a fantastic story... I can see why Toasty recommended it so highly. :)

***~***

Now for the movies...


On Saturday I watched three Christmasy movies... All of which I thoroughly enjoyed!

The first one was "The Snow Queen"... The story the movie is based on is in a post below this one, so I wont bother telling you what it was about. There were, of course, a couple of differences in the movie though... But, aren't there always?

The second one was "The Nightmare Before Christmas"... I'm sure I've posted about this one before. It's the one about Jack Skeleton being bored and fed up with the same old Halloween traditions and accidentally finding his way in to Christmas Town where he gets a glimpse of all the wonders of Christmas and decides he wants to be "Sandy Claws" for the night. But things don't go as planned, and he ends up having to rescue the real guy from The Bogie Man so he can save Christmas.

The third one was "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer"... Now I KNOW I posted about this one. And, I'm sure you all know the story well anyway, so I wont bore you with the details.

Then, today, I watched another one... My favourite Christmas movie... Do you remember what I said it was?

"Santa Claus - The Movie"... It's a movie I've watched almost every year for as long as I can remember! It's one of the versions of how the whole Santa Claus thing got started. I don't really know how else to explain it without pretty much telling the story.

***~***

And now, on to my day... Well, my day so far anyway, because there's still some of the afternoon and, of course, the evening to go yet. But we wont be picky... Today anyway... LOL! So...

Woke up around 6:00 am. Had breakfast, watched "The Hoobs" on Channel 4 +1 because I missed it on its first showing. Then watched "Santa Claus - The Movie" while drinking a nice, warm cup of tea.

I then spent about an hour talking to my Mam on the phone on and off.

We've decided to postpone the Wednesday dinners until after the new year now. For one thing none of us are all that healthy at the moment, so we're not even close to being good company for one another right now. For another thing both Mam and I are trying to sort out new eating plans, and we want to give ourselves a chance to get them figured out a bit so we can arrange the dinners for Wednesdays to fit in with what we're both trying to eat. My "new meal plan" thingy is pretty easy to figure out, because I'm just working on reducing the things I'm eating that I shouldn't be having (e.g. sweets, pizza, etc) and replacing them with more of what I should be eating (e.g. fruit and vegetables). But my Mam is trying to figure out an actual diet, because she seems to have problems eating certain things, so she's trying to figure out what she can and can't eat without it upsetting her stomache. When she's figured that out we can figure out meals for Wednesday working on that information... Even if we slightly adapt something we're having to make it OK for her, and vice versa.

Despite the fact we talked on the phone for so long, my Mam and Dad popped in on their way to do their weekly shopping. No, not just for the sake of it... I had some Christmas cards I need delivered to people who I know who my Mam sees more than we do, so my Mam came to help me finish writing them and to take them with her to give them to those people for me.

For those who are wondering... My Dad seems to be doing a bit better. At any rate he's changed his comment of, "Not that good," to "Ah, so-so!" And he didn't seem to be coughing and sniffling quite as much.

Anyway...

After they left, Kero and I went out for our walk. It's quite cold out there. The level of cold is within the temperature scale where I don't complain about it though. ;)

Still no snow though... *Sigh*

I didn't get my baguette. :(

Kelly sometimes does the shopping on a Monday, other times he does it on a Tuesday. He said he was probably doing it on Monday this week, but he changed his mind. So he's going tomorrow instead.

I had marmalade on toast for lunch today instead.

So, that's my day so far... Much more interesting than yesterday. LOL!

***~***

The lighting of the Christmas lights in town was on Friday. Mam didn't realise until Saturday though, and I only found out today. It's a shame we didn't know in time. There's usually a proper street party with it, and Mam and I would have gone (in my case more to say I'd been than anything). We haven't been able to go in past years because of getting home (by the time it's over there's no busses running here). But this year we could have, because we could have just walked back to my place, and Mam would have stayed the night.

Oh well, too late now... We missed it. Maybe next year?

***~***

I've set up a Christmasy post to publish itself every day between now and Christmas. It could be a song, it could be a story, it could be something else... Depends what I find that I didn't post last year or the year before.

I will be doing my usual blog posts in between (if I have anything worth posting) but thought I'd post some Christmasy stuff. I'm scheduling the posts to publish themselves because it's easier to sort the stuff and set it up as I find it... I figure if I'm sorting the posts I might as well take advantage of Blogger's post scheduling thingy.

OK... I think that covers everything... Enjoy the rest of your day! :)

Tori

6 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Sounds like you had a pretty good day - and that that book from Toasty sounds like a must read for me too. I'll have to go dig up a copy!

I'm glad everyone seems to be feeling better - while there is no "good" time to be sick, the holidays is definitely a bad time!

The Wife O Riley said...

Sounds like a good book.

I watched a new (to me) Christmas movie this weekend. "Holiday Inn" and I LOVED it.

I'm glad everyone is doing better, I caught something and I can't shake it.

Jess said...

There's something really comforting about listening to how someones day went, including all the little details.Glad you're enjoying all those books and movies.
Jess xx

MarmiteToasty said...

Winter Soltice is my most favourite novel in the world LOL..... I so can associate meself with Alfrida and the little hampshire village but most of all, how she feels inside as a person.... I have a well thumbed copy of this book which I would never ever part with, and I read it over and over.....

ToriZ I hope you enjoyed the Audio copy of my most favourite book.... a bit of romance is good for the soul LOL

x

AliceKay said...

*goes looking for some snow to send to Tori*

Tori_z said...

Iggy:
Yeah, getting sick around this time of year sucks half the fun out of it. But we're hopeful we'll have shifted these colds in time for Christmas itself. :)

Wifey:
Thanks... Hope you shift your flu quickly! *Hugs*

Jess:
I could have been more detailed, but I thought the post was long enough. LOL!

Toasty:
I did! And I can see why you've read it so many times! Thanks so much for sending me a copy! :)

AK:
Thanks... Hope you can find some that can be persuaded to come visit. ;)