Monday, December 15, 2008

Monsters and movies (LBE)

I've not been busy like the rest of you. I mean, I've had a few things going on that have kept me busy, but not anything like the parties, doctor appointments, other holiday related things, etc, that have kept some of the rest of you from blogging. No, the reason I haven't done a "proper" post is that I haven't felt like it. If it weren't for the posts I scheduled then there wouldn't have been a post from me since about this time last week.


I almost did one the other day. It was about how greedy everyone is nowadays and how people are caring more about how much they're getting for Christmas (both quantity of presents and cost) than anything else. But I wasn't happy with it, so I deleted it and abandoned my attempts at writing it.


Other than that I haven't felt like blogging. Between things that happened Tuesday (don't want to talk about it, so please don't ask) and the "monster issue" as we're calling it... Well, those things combined have led to a tough week. Actually, I think Tuesday's events may have contributed a little to the monster issue, but they aren't entirely to blame.


Most of what's behind the monster issue is the adjustment to a world of darkness. I have a very good imagination, and it's causing problems. The only thing is, the problems are ones I think I'm just going to have to learn to live with, because Carl (my brother) is 25 years old and is still having to put up with them after 23 years without any sight. *Sigh* I asked him about it, and he gave me some tips for dealing with it, but so far none of them have helped much. He says it'll get easier with time. I hope it does!

I don't want to go in to too much detail about it. But let's just say that the "Leaf Monster" incedent wasn't an isolated incedent. It's the only one I've gone in to detail about, but the Leaf Monster has many friends. I wont be going in to detail about them though. So, please don't ask me to. One day, perhaps, I will decide to tell you about the monsters. But right now I don't want to.

Anyway... Moving very swiftly on...

My week wasn't all bad. I mean, I watched some really good Christmas movies. They were:

"The Muppets' Christmas Carol"... I'm sure I don't need to tell you about this one. Everyone, I'm sure, knows at least the gist of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" and - as the title suggests - this is just a version of it where the characters are played mostly by the muppets (you know? Miss Piggy, Kermit The Frog and all them lot).

"The Grinch"... Again, I'm sure at least most of you know the story. This was the movie version. If you don't know the story then just wait until Friday when Dr Seuss' poem will be published and you'll know the gist of the story. :)

"One Magic Christmas"... This is an old one. It's about a Christmas angel named "Gideon" who's job it is to help a woman named "Ginny Granger" find her Christmas spirit (with the help of her daughter "Abbey").

"Miracle On 34th Street" (the version with Mara Wilson in it)... I think this is another movie that at least most of you know. If you don't then I'll be very surprised.

I wont bother telling you about the movies I'm sure you all know about. If you are one of those few who don't know about them though, feel free to ask... Or, look them up. :)

I've got some other movies I'll be watching at some point in this next week. But I'll tell you about those after I watch them. Maybe I'll also read some of the Christmas stories I've got too? :)

***~***

I'm almost ready for Christmas. Got a few more bits to sort tomorrow, but once they're done I'm all set. It's just my Grandad's presents that need fetching. And one or two other little bits, maybe.

We've even got the food for Christmas day and Boxing day in the freezer. Well, other than the cookies mince pies and such. But Mam's baking those with me next week. I have the stuff for making them though. :)

***~***

Kelly's more or less 100% better from his cold and flu. I think Wayne is too.

My Dad is at least almost there too. I don't think he's fully better yet, but he's definately getting better.

My Mam has mostly shifted the cough bit, but the cold is still lingering, so she's still not feeling too great.

As for me... My cold still wont break. And my cough can't make it's mind up whether it's going to stay or go away. So, I think I've still got at least a few more days of this. :(

Oh yeah... And now Carl has a cold too. But we didn't give it to him. At least, not unless it snuck in with his Christmas card or something. LOL! Carl's cold is doing the same as mine. One day he could be fine, the next he feels aweful. And so on. I wish our colds would just make their minds up! :(

My Nan is doing OK... Bet she can't wait for Friday to be over though! Mam says she should get to come home the same day. Apparently she only needs a local anasthetic. Personally I'd rather be put right out and stay the night, but it's not me going in (for a change, lol!) I mean, who wants to hear the doctors talking about what they're doing and using to cut you open? I certainly don't!

If what they tried the third time with my eye operation had worked then they'd have wanted me in for a quick procedure under a local anasthetic. When they told me I told them that I'd much rather be knocked out, thank you very much! It's bad enough hearing them talking about stuff as I'm falling asleep without listening to the whole thing going on!

I suppose Nan's age is part of the reason for only giving her a local anasthetic. I mean, she's almost 81!

***~***

OK, well, that's all I want to talk about when it comes to this past week. Well, other than one little thing which was the highlight of my week. Some people may find it hard to believe that something as small as this could mean so much to someone. But it meant a lot to me.

On Tuesday... Right when I was having a VERY bad day... Something special came through my letter box. That something was a card. But not just any card. No! This card was special!

Why? Because it came from a special friend who - despite having problems of his own to deal with right now - still took the time to have a special card made for me with a tactile picture on the front and braille inside it.

Now, I don't expect everyone to do this. In fact, I don't mind if nobody ever does. But it really did mean a lot to me that someone took the time to do something like that just for me.

Thank you, Iggy... You're a wonderful friend! :)

Tori

11 comments:

Guineapiglou said...

Why did you decide not to do that post?

Alot of people are very greedy this tme of year!

I give not to recieve, i like to see the joy on people's face's when they open their present's.

Tori_z said...

I just didn't like how it sounded when it was done.

KAYLEE said...

I wont ask what happened but are you doing okay tori?

LadyStyx said...

How wonderful you got a special gift. Thankfully, there are some people in this world that do the little things just because it's the nice thing to do. Though few in number, they pretty much even things out with all the nasties that are out there.

The Wife O Riley said...

I'm glad everyone is feeling a little better. Hopefully, your cough won't stay too long.

I know how your feel about blogging, I having a hard time as well.

I did enjoy this post and I'm glad you wrote it and I won't ask.

I just hope it will get easier to deal with. Your in my thoughts, Tori.

Punkn said...

Tori, we all care and when you are ready... we want to hear more. And as for your special gift - I'm not at all surprised. Iggy is a special gift in himself now, isn't he. Take care of yourself hun and blog whatever is on your mind. We want to hear it.

Tori_z said...

Kaylee:
Yeah, I'm OK, thanks.

Styxie & Wifey:
Thanks! :)

Punkn:
Thanks. Yes, he is. :)

Tori_z said...

Oh, and I meant to say...

Styxie:
Yes, there are some wonderful people in the world. Not as many as there should be. But what they lack in numbers they make up for in every other way. :)

Intense Guy said...

*blush*

You are welcome Tori - I am pleased that you enjoyed the card. :)

ChicagoLady said...

As I was reading about the card you received in your letter box, I knew it had to be Iggy that sent that. It's just something he would do.

I can't even begin to imagine what it's like for you in the darkness. I hope you're able to find your own light and a way to adjust to this new world you're in.

I'm hoping to watch Miracle on 34th Street this year, but the way my luck's been going, I'll be wrapping presents Christmas day.

Tori_z said...

Iggy:
Thank you again! *Hugs*

Chicago:
Yes, it is. That's the kind of person he is. We need more people who are at least half as nice as Iggy in this world!

*Hugs* Sorry you're having a bad time of it!