Tuesday, December 02, 2008

December 2nd already... Can you believe it? (FD)

It's still pretty cold here, though a bit warmer than it was over the weekend. It's more around the temperature I can happily put up with so long as I have a nice, warm dressing gown or blanket to snuggle in to. Something like 6 C (which is somewhere around 40 F). Kero and I never made it out for a walk today though. Not because of the weather, but because I was so busy doing other things that I never got around to it.

We've got most of our Christmas decorations up now. I was going to leave them until a bit closer to Christmas this year, but I've been wrapping presents and wasn't sure what to do with them without having a tree to put them under. So, I figured I'd get the tree out. Of course, to get the tree out I had to pull out the other decorations too (they were in front of it, and - in some cases - on top of it in the crawl space in our room) so I figured I might as well make a start on getting those up too... Since they were out. There are still some not yet put up, but they can wait until tomorrow or something. When all the decorations are up I'll get Kelly or my Mam to take some photos for me to post on here for you all to see. After all, I know how you all love pictures of things. ;)

Advent calenders started yesterday. I nearly didn't bother this year. I love my advent calender and having a little chocolate each day while counting the days to Christmas - I always have - but the reason I almost didn't bother was that last year I had to have someone find the doors for me, and that takes half the fun out of it. But my Mam came up with a fantastic idea. We put braille letters on the doors with my braille labeler (the one I use to label my CDs and movies) so I can find the door. We used letters because they take up a little less room and the doors aren't all that big. It's one of those "each letter corresponds to a number" things. You know? A = 1, B = 2... Etc, etc.

The other thing that started yesterday was our new recycling scheme. The only issue I'm having with it is that I'd like to know where they expect us to store all these bins. There's a "compostable items" bin, the "non recyclables" bin, and the two "recyclables" bins. Yes, I did say TWO. They just gave us some blue bags for recyclables, but according to their letter they want paper kept seporate from everything else "to make things easier for the workers." Fine... I get that it's easier, but... Where are we meant to keep the bins with these bags in while we're putting stuff in them? Our kitchen may be a tidy size, but we do have other stuff in it too! *Sigh* Oh well, I guess we'll get used to having a bin collection in our kitchen.

We're getting closer to finishing the Christmas shopping. I'd have liked this week to be the last week where we needed to do any Christmas shopping, but it wont be. We still need to get my Grandad's Christmas presents, and a couple of other little bits and pieces. Plus there's the fact that my present from Kelly is "temporarily out of stock" so I might be waiting until after Christmas for it. I know what it is because I chose it myself. I'm not telling though. Will tell you either when I'm telling you what I got for Christmas or - if I do end up waiting for it - when I get it.

We've got most of the stuff for the baking I'm going to be doing with my Mam a couple of days before Christmas (we're making cookies and mince pies) and we've got most of what we'll need for the buffet we're doing Boxing Day too. Just a couple of bits to get, which we'll hopefully get next week. It's all stuff that either freezes or keeps well, so we can make sure to have it before everyone starts their mad "let's grab last minute party supplies" rush... Which will be starting in about two weeks time.

I think that covers everything... Enjoy the rest of your day! :)

Tori

9 comments:

Guineapiglou said...

I can't believe it's not long til xmas.
Lots of baking and wrapping!!!

Kaylee said...

LOve you :) you ok?

AliceKay said...

Sounds like you've been a very busy girl again. :)

LadyStyx said...

More like a very busy girl still...

Ohhh a long warm nighty and a cuppa marshmallowed hot cocoa sounds nice right about now...

ChicagoLady said...

I'm still amazed at how well you get around and do things around the house.

Here in the U.S., people who are part of recycling programs with bins, usually keep them in their garage. That way they aren't outside and they aren't in the house. Do you even have any garages there, or are the cars parked in the street, or a driveway? I'm showing my ignorance for the U.K., sorry.

Punkn said...

I am SO jealous! I've not even thought of getting the decorations out and have not bought a single present yet. It will all happen in good time, though... I keep telling myself that :)

Kaylee said...

I need to talk :( Sorry I keep doing this to you Tori.

Tori_z said...

Lou:
Yeah, I know... Just three more weeks!

Kaylee:
Yeah, I'm OK.

AK:
Yeah, been trying to keep busy to stop myself sleeping too much in the day in the hopes of sleeping in the night instead... So far I'm making excellent progress on that one. :)

Styxie:
You're definately a woman after my own heart! :#)

Chicago:
I've got to... If I don't do stuff I'll die of boredom. Carl (my brother) can do a lot more than I can, but he has had more years of practice. I'm getting there though. :)

LMAO! We do have garages over here. The thing is though that places don't automatically come with them. Some places have them, some places don't. And council places are among the ones that don't. Some council places that don't have garages come with a special parking place outside, others don't even have that. We don't even have that. We live on a cul de sac so parking would be difficult. There's some space out on the road for people to park, but... Well... Let's just say I'm glad we don't have a car. Sometimes my Mam and Dad have to park down the street because they can't get close enough without blocking someone in or running the risk of being blocked in themselves.

But the places that do have garages almost never have them actually attatched the way you guys often have them. Most of the time they're a good few feet away from the house (some are right across the street).

We often have little porches attatched to the house... One of those would have been perfect. But, again, we're in one of those council places without one. Where we were before we had a sort of indoor entrance way... It was shared with the people upstairs, but there was a bit of wall near our door which would have been perfect for the bins. Here though we just have our little sheds. And I don't want to put them in one of the sheds or I'll have to go outside in whatever weather and try and persuade the shed door to open (it sticks a bit... The bolt, I mean) just to throw away something as stupid as an empty milk carton or something. Which is so not about to happen. I'd rather have to move the bins to get to the dryer or something than get soaked to the skin just for a milk carton.

Punkn:
LOL! Good luck with getting it all sorted. :)

Kaylee:
It's OK... Sorry, it looks like I just missed you. :(

Tori_z said...

*:#) = :)

Don't know how the # snuck in there... LOL!