Friday, January 23, 2009

Birds, books, weather and canes (LBE)

Kelly took this photo for me yesterday.

After I got home from the hospital I let Kero out for a pee and waiting in the yard for me was this little guy... My Blackbird friend... And a few other birds. See, I hadn't fed them before leaving because of how early I left. So, I gave them their breakfast and this little guy seems to have literally only waited long enough for me to shut the door before coming for his fill. Maybe one day this little guuy will even come down for his breakfast while I'm still out there? :)

Kelly just missed catching him actually pecking at food. He moved along the garden to where Kelly couldn't get a photo of him without opening the door after this shot though, and we didn't want to open the door in case it scared him away.

The rest of the birds are still reluctant to stay in view for long enough for a photo. Well, other than the Chaffinch who sits in the hedges and trees nearby singing (the one who was in the post with the first photo of the Blackbird).

We've been looking at prices for bird tables so we can get one to put the food on instead of me just throwing it on the ground, since some birds don't like to eat off the ground. It's amazing how much people want you to pay for something that's literally a pole with a bit of wood on top. They range from about £20 (US$40 aprox) and up! *Looks shocked* I'm wondering if I can get someone to commit long enough to fetch some wood and make one for me... It would be a damn sight cheaper, that's for sure! Especially since we need some wood for other projects in the garden anyway.

***~***

I've just finished listening to an audiobook called "The Life Of Pi" by Yann Martel (I think I spelled his name right). It's the story of an Indian boy who survived for seven months on a life boat with a Bengal Tiger after the ship he and his family were traveling on sank, taking every other passenger and crew member with it. It was a pretty good book. I have to admit though, it wasn't quite as good as it was made to sound. I did enjoy it, don't get me wrong. It's one of those "good book, but it wont make it in to my favourites" type of stories though.

It turned out I finished it just right for the arrival of "Oath Breaker" which - as I mentioned yesterday - arrived not too long after I got home. Which I was VERY pleased about because I'd been dying to find out what happens to Torak, Wolf and Renn next! So, I spent the evening and in to the night listening to it (Oath Breaker, I mean). I figured I'd listen to a couple of disks then go to bed. But how could I go to bed when at the end of each disk Torak, Renn or Wolf were either in trouble or about to make an important decision? I couldn't! I ended up staying up until I'd listened to all six disks. LOL! Luckily I started them around 5:30 pm (ish) so it was only about 1:00 am when the last disk finished. LOL!

I wont bother telling you about the book, because I did a post about the series it's from (The Chronicles Of Ancient Darkness) not long ago. I will, however, tell you that it was as good as the first four books! And that I can't wait until September when the sixth and final book comes out!

The two books I ordered from the Worst Witch series have arrived too, so I think I'll listen to them next. I also have a few others to listen to, and a few braille books I haven't read yet. Will tell you about them as and when I read or listen to them.

I'm still waiting for delivery of an audiobook I ordered last week that I'd wanted for some time but only recently remembered where my Nan got Carl's copy. The book is called "Stonehenge" and is by Bernard Cornwell. If you're eager to find out what it's about then look it up (it's available in print in plenty of places that sell books) otherwise wait until I get it and listen to it and I'll tell you about it myself. :)

Mind you, many of you may actually know at least of the story, even if you haven't read it. Bernard Cornwell is a well known author, so it's quite possible many of you have even read the book yourselves.

Anyway, my Nan says it can often take up to 28 days from ordering from this particular place to get your audiobook though. I hope it doesn't take that long. Although, if it does then at least it will give me time to get caught up with my pile of books and audiobooks that I haven't yet read or listened to. Especially since I have listened to Carl's copy of "Stonehenge" before, where as many of the titles among the ones I haven't read or listened to yet are ones I've never read or listened to, but liked the sound of. If you get what I'm saying.

I still haven't gotten around to listening to the tapes I got off of Carl over a year ago (at the end of 2007). The ones by Terry Pratchett. I've heard some of them in the past, but there are about 30 of them, and I've only listened to the first ten or so. And that was when I was in my very early teens. Since I got them off Carl I haven't gotten around to listening to them. I need to take my construction toys in the bedroom (where my stereo with the good tape player is) and start listening, I guess! ;)

I've also got a couple of non-fiction books coming in braille. One on Stonehenge, which is supposed to have a couple of other stone age monuments and facts mentioned in it too. And one on the Ancient Egyptians. It's taken me this long to find decent sounding books on those topics. As I mentioned the other day during my interview... Titles available in braille or audio are limited in number. Especially in braille, which is the format I'd prefer to have non-fiction books in, because it makes just looking for a spacific fact a lot easier.

Now if I can just find good ones on Native Americans, dinosaurs, astrology and astronomy, and a braille dream dictionary then I'll be happy. I wont hold my breath on the dream dictionary though. I may have a chance with the other two if I persevere, but the dream dictionary is a lot less likely to become available. Well, I'll just keep looking and buy one if I ever find one! :)

Anyway...

It's kinda cold again today. Not as cold as it has been though. And last night it was quite stormy. They've stopped promising snow now and are talking about thunder storms, rain and strong winds instead. So - if they're right - then the light dustings of snow we've had will be my lot for this Winter. :(

Well,that's unless it snows around Easter like it did last year. LOL!

Anyway... For those interested in cane related babbling...

My new cane arrived on Wednesday. There's a little piece of paper in with the spare tip that gives the code for it. So we left it in its little bag with the little piece of paper and put it in the tool box. Wasn't sure where a person would store a spare cane tip, and the tool box seemed like a logical place to me. So, in it went! LOL!

OK, I think that covers everything for today... Enjoy whatever's left of your day! :)

Tori

7 comments:

AliceKay said...

I'm sure your bird friends appreciate the food you put out for them. And you're right...the cost of things are pretty high. We sell bird feed and feeders at the feed mill, and the price of them have skyrocketed this year.

Sure sounds like you're enjoying all of your books...whether audible or in braille. :)

The Wife O Riley said...

I did that with the Harry Potter series and the Twilight series, think that I'll on;y read a few chapters and then I end up staying up all night reading.

Intense Guy said...

I would think the birdies like the food no matter how its presented.

That is a nice picture - Kelly got him looking pretty perky.

Wow... you are goign through the books. Your ears must be getting callused!

ChicagoLady said...

That is definitely a male blackbird, common all throughout Europe and Asia. Females and juveniles are more brown, with the female not having the yellow bill.

I think the birds will like having something off the ground to feed on. Easier for them to keep an eye out for predators while they eat.

Sounds like you have enough reading to keep you busy for many years! LOL

Tori_z said...

AK:
It's not just animal feed though, is it? Everything's getting ridiculously expensive!

Wifey:
I did that with the first six Harry Potter books. Book seven I had my Mam reading to me though, so it had to be a chapter or two at a time. I ended up having VERY weird dreams about possible ways the book would continue. Including one about how I helped Harry kill You-Know-Who in the main hall of one of my schools with the help of Bill Weasley, a teacher from another of my schools, and a few of the other characters from the book. LOL!

Iggy & Chicago:
Some of the birds are reluctant to come and eat on the ground. Besides, Kero had a bad experience with a bird as a puppy and has sworn revenge against all things feathery as a result. So the birds will be safer up off the ground.

As for the books... The way I'm going through them lately I think I'll be done in a couple of months. LOL! But my ears are still fine! ;)

whimsical brainpan said...

I'm glad you got your new cane.

Have you thought about making your own feeder? You can make one using a coffee can, milk carton, or with a jar.

I love "the Life of Pi"! It's one of my favorite books.

Tori_z said...

Whim:
I have thought about it. But since I'm able to cut my hand just making a cheese sandwich at the moment (not my fault... The edge of the lid shouldn't be that sharp) I don't think it's a good idea for me to try at the moment. Maybe at a later date? But right now... I don't think so!

Thanks for the suggestion though! :)