Thursday, January 15, 2009

A couple of my birdy friends

As I briefly mentioned in yesterday's post, Kelly took a couple of photos of my birdy friends for me. They aren't the best of photos (or so Dad and Kelly say) because they had to be done through the kitchen window since the birds didn't seem to aprove of Kelly being out in the back garden with them. And we only got two of the birds, because the Robins and Bluetits had either just had breakfast and then gone, or not visited us yesterday (not sure which). But these two are my most regular visitors anyway. :)

This first photo is a male Blackbird. This little fellow is the bird I mentioned in yesterday's post who I have my discussions and arguments with. My Dad says he's definately a "he" and my Dad's usually really good with birds. Plus, he double checked on the RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) website.

Dad says he's not surprised I couldn't tell if it was a Crow, a Raven, or some other kind of black bird, because the difference is in the size more than anything.

Also, Dad says that - judging by the description of it - the bird I'm pretty sure is a Magpie does sound like a Magpie to him. He can't be 100% certain without a photo (and right now the Magpie bird doesn't want a photo taken of it). But if he had to hazard a guess then he'd go with Magpie too.

Anyway...

This little guy is a Chaffinch (Dad says he's also male). He's a VERY regular visitor. I think he may have his nest in the trees bordering one side of our garden.

He sings beautifully and is almost always singing away in our back garden. It's comforting hearing his chirpy little songs. :)

He's pretty much the only one of the birds who doesn't fly off if someone makes a noise or moves quickly in the garden.

Anyway, just thought I'd share these photos with you. :)

Tori

11 comments:

Punkn said...

Birdies are kinda hard to take pictures of - I've discovered that first hand. Enjoy your little friends!

AliceKay said...

Nice pics. I'm sure the birds' singing is a pleasant sound for you.

Intense Guy said...

Let's all sing like the birdies sing,
Tweet, tweet tweet, tweet tweet.
Let's all sing like the birdies sing,
Sweet, sweet sweet, sweet sweet.
Let's all warble like nightingales,
Give your throat a treat.
Take your time from the birds,
Now you all know the words,
Tweet, tweet tweet, tweet tweet.

On-line music and lyrics for those that want to sing along

:)

LadyStyx said...

*clicks and sings along*

The Wife O Riley said...

Those are very nicew pictures!

My father keeps a book to identify birds, a pair of binoculars and a notebook right by his kitchen window. He jots down every bird he sees in his backyard.

Celticspirit said...

That's great that you have birds that visit you in your backyard and you can listen to them singing. Very nice pictures. :)

Kaylee said...

BIRDS singing? Um, not at 5 am thank you verry much thats when they come here!

MarmiteToasty said...

I love birds in the garden, Im surprised we even get any on me birdtable cos of me cats... but we do and we have a robin that comes and nicks the peanut butter off me toast if I sit in the garden with me breakfast, its getting right tame....

Singing along with everyone else lol.....

Iggy YOUR OUT OF TUNE lol

x

Tori_z said...

Punkn:
Yeah, I know. I never managed to get photos of any birds other than pet ones before myself.

AK:
Yes, it is.

Iggy:
Cute song. :)

Styxie:
Enjoying yourself there? lol! :)

Wifey:
That's cool... My Dad used to watch birds like that too. That's how he got so good at identifying birds.

Barb:
I love listening to the birds in my garden. :)

Kaylee:
Well, personally I find it comforting waking up and hearing the birds in the early morning. But, to each their own, I guess.

Toasty:
Wish my birds were that tame.

If we still had our cats the birds wouldn't last two seconds. The only birds we had in our garden when we had cats were dead ones. :(

ChicagoLady said...

That Chaffinch sort of reminds me of a Chickadee that is here usually only in winter. I love spring and summer, waking up to the birds singing.

It is hard to get good pictures of birds. I had to be really sneaky to get mine of the Juncos. And some birds are more jittery than others.

Tori_z said...

Very true, Chicago!