Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Shopping, monster defenses and more (LBE & FD)

For those of you who haven't seen it and want to know what the "other thing I could post about" was that I mentioned on Monday... Check out my Mam's blog.

I was too tired to post last night myself. I'd had a long day and other than a quick comment on Mam's blog and a reply to an e-mail I'd promised to reply to I didn't bother with the PC. I just turned it on, replied to the e-mail, commented on Mam's post, then turned it back off again.

I did have a good day though. Tiring, but good.

Mam picked me up a little before 10:00 am and we went to Swansea. I needed some new clothes, which was the main point of the trip. Although, it was also a nice mother daughter day out. :)

I brought a new jacket. There was nothing wrong with my old one, but Kelly got a new one the other day and it's so much like mine I can't tell the difference. So I had a look to see if I could find a new one that I liked. I did. I found one that's a thin fleece jacket with another more waterproof layer that atatches to it to make it warmer or more waterproof on cold or wet days, while still allowing you to have a light jacket if it's a bit too cold to go without a jacket, but not cold enough to need a particularly warm one. I also got a zip up tracksuit top for if it's a little chilly but I need to get my other jacket washed for some reason. Or, if it's a bit chilly but I can't be bothered to seporate the layers of the other jacket. LOL! And I gave Kelly my other one so he has a spare if one needs washing or something.

I also got a couple of t-shirts, a few pairs of trousers and a couple of new pairs of PJs. I didn't need the PJs as such, but since we were able to catch the Winter sales I figured I'd grab them while they cost a bit less... At least then I know I wont need some for quite a while. I could do with getting a couple more t-shirts though. Will sort that next time I go shopping.

Anyway...

Mam and I went to Subway for lunch. I don't remember what my Mam's sub was, but I know mine was tuna, cheese and onion on the Italian herb and cheese bread (with tomato ketchup, of course). It's what I have from Subway pretty much every time. I've had that same sub since I first discovered Subway when I was in Canada (it's only been over here for about four or five years). The only time I don't have that sub is if they're out of tuna, in which case I have bacon or something like that instead.

After we were done clothes shopping and having lunch, Mam and I went to Asda (our version of Walmart) to do some food shopping. We were also going to go to Farm Foods (a low price frozen food shop) but we got to Asda first and figured that since Asda isn't much different in price than Farm Foods (just a bit less choice) we might as well just do all the shopping there and have done with it. Especially since we were both getting quite tired by this time. And we'd have had to go to Asda as well, because though Farm Foods is fantastic for frozen goods it's really hard to get anything else there.

It was very close to 5:00 pm when we got home. In fact, it might have been a little after 5:00 pm by the time Mam got herself home, because she had to drive from my place to hers and that takes a good 15 minutes or more even when it's not rush hour.

As we were coming home Mam said that an ice fog was starting to form over the fields and mountains. It seems that once the sun began to set there was nothing to keep away the ice fog. As far as I can tell it stuck around all night. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it did. The icy chill that comes with it certainly stuck around.

And my birdy friends weren't singing in the garden this morning. They've only just shown up. Normally they're out there by 6:00 am at the latest. There's Bluetits and Robins, and a bird that Kelly says is black and white that I don't know what it is. There might be other birds too, but I'm not sure. They sit in the hedge and on the shed roof and sing, and I give them some food so they'll keep coming back because I like to hear them singing. I missed opening the door for Kero and hearing them singing. It's almost 8:00 am and only now are they there (I just went to check). So I gave them their breakfast.

There's an owl that comes some nights too. I don't feed the owl though. And there's a bird that I'm not sure if it's a Crow, a Raven, or one of the black birds that are simular to Crows and Ravens. He comes and caws at me from time to time. So I caw back at him. Then I end up having a chat with him.

Kelly says I've lost the plot. But I don't care. I like my birdy friends, and chatting with them and listening to them sing makes me forget about the monsters for a while.

And, speaking of the monsters...

Thanks to something Iggy said in an e-mail I was reminded about something my brother and I discussed a while back. I originally dismissed this item
as a useful tool because I was looking for something that made light and noise, and the idea of using something to just detect existing light sources never occurred to me. Plus the fact my brother said that the one he used had to be pointed at the light source to work. So, I dismissed it and forgot about it. But then it occurred to me - thanks to Iggy's comment - that if I was to use something that I knew where the source of the light came from (like a torch) then it might actually work to scare away The Beast.

Anyway...

I'm doing pretty good on the eating better thing. I think it helps that all the times I was "nil by mouth" for operations and then doped up on pain killers and with anasthetic still in my system throughout last year have curbed my apetite a bit, which means I'm not so tempted to snack.

Actually... And, you may want to be sitting down and not eating anything for this bit... I really don't fancy any of the snack foods. I expect I'd eat them if they were put in front of me "just because they're there" but I don't fancy them.

I wouldn't necessarily eat them though... I had a tin of shortbread biscuits for Christmas and I have most of them left. They were even in front of me when I was on the PC the other day, and I only ate about two of them. I don't think Mam believed me at first, but I told her to check and she was able to see how few I'd eaten. And those are one of my very favourite biscuits mind you! :)

***~***

I got another award from Wifey. You can see it in this post. Thank you Wifey! :)

I really can't decide who to pass it on to though. So, I'm just not going to bother. Short of listing all my favourite blogs there's no fair way to decide. Usually in situations like this I just list the first few that spring to mind, but today my mind seems to go blank when I try to decide. So if you like it and want it, and nobody's given you one... Take it and call it a gift from me! :)

I also recieved this one from LadyStyx. The rules for it are:

1. Say a nice thing to a man in your life.

2. List at least six ways you measure success in your life.

3. Asign five other worthy blogs.

Well, number one is really easy. Kelly's just taken a couple of photos of my birdy friends and I thanked him very much. I'm sure that counts for that one. :)

Number two though... I don't thinkk I can answer that one. I don't think there are ways I measure success in my life. I mean, I have a wonderful hubby who I'm happy with, so I guess maybe marrying him was a great success. But other than that I can't think of anything.

As for number three... Most people I know have already been given it. So... If you want to be included with this award and haven't yet had it... Help yourself! :)

***~***

I think that covers everything - for now - besides, I want to go catch up on blog posts and on Dad's forum. I'm WAY behind on posts there.

Enjoy your day! :)

Tori

10 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Congrats on the award! You are going to look like a world war two general with all the medals on his uniform. :) ...and you deserve all those awards too.

And congrats on the day trip out. Sounds like a busy day that was fun for both you and your mom.

And soon, hopefully, you will be well-defended against those awful creepy monsters! I do hope it works out!

Punkn said...

What an exhausting but nice day. Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

Congrats on the well-deserved award.

It is exciting that there might actually be an answer to the creepy monsters. I can't wait to hear how it all works out!

Kaylee said...

hope you are okay today!

LadyStyx said...

Looks like a very busy day. No wonder you were so tired!

Hmmm as for successful, I think managing to do all the things you do on a daily basis pretty doggone successful! I dont think I could accomplish even half that if I was in the same boat.

ChicagoLady said...

I'd be exhausted too if I did everything you did!

Congrats on the awards!

Tori_z said...

Thanks all. :)

Tori_z said...

Oh yeah...

Styxie:
I've got to though. And you'd have to if you were in the same boat. But I haven't achieved nearly as much as Carl (my brother). And I don't feel I've been successful with anything just by achieving what I have. I mean, there are still so many things I should be able to do that I can't.

AliceKay said...

You're amazing, Tori....just amazing. :) *hugs*

Celticspirit said...

Whew! I'm tired just reading about day. The clothes you got sound nice. Subway is yummy. I've never had tuna with ketchup on it and don't think I'd try it that way. I do like their tuna subs but I'd have it with lettuce, tomato and pickles on it. Gotta have some baked chips on the side as well.
Do you like grocery shopping? I'd rather do anything but that. Heck I think I'd rather wash dishes or clean toilets instead of shopping. I spend too much money on things I don't really need.
That's cool that you have an owl that visits your yard. I love listening to the sounds of an owl at night.

Tori_z said...

AK:
No, I'm not.

Barb:
Well, I love my ketchup, so rarely have a sub or sandwich that doesn't include it. LOL!

No, I don't like shopping. I like the time spent with whoever I go with, but the shopping itself... I could do without that! The only way I actually enjoy a shopping trip is if it's to a book shop. I could spend AGES in a book shop. Unfortunately I have the same problem as you do... I spend too much when I go shopping. Somehow the shopping costs twice as much when I shop as it does when Kelly shops. And then there's the fact that we have trouble finding room for all the things I "thought we might like" after I got them home.

I've had owls at least within earshot in the last three places I've lived in. Actually, I think owls have been nearby at least occasionally in every place I've lived in. At least, every place I remember clearly enough.