Monday, May 14, 2012

L is for Leftovers (FD)

I love leftover days!

The taste and neutritional values of a homecooked meal, without the work involved in making it. And - more to the point - without the dishes to wash afterwards, which is the bit I hate about cooking and baking; the cleanup. ;)

I usually cook for 2 days at a time, though sometimes there will also be extra meals to put in the freezer (especially if I make a stew or pie). I do this for a couple of reasons.

The first is that it means I get a leftover day every second day, which means I can use the leftover day either to catch up with things for projects I'm working on, do other things around the house that I didn't get time to do the day before because of food preporation, or just have a day to relax a bit.

The second is that due to me being a vegetarian and Kelly not being one, and him not eating many varieties of vegetables where as I want the variety, most of the time we have different meals. And when we do have similar meals, there's usually something added for each of us that's different (e.g. an extra vegetable for me where he has the meat). And it makes more sense to me to make enough of something to have leftovers than to just do enough for one all the time.

The thirrd is that when I was cooking every day, it felt like a chore, but when I started doing the thing where I cook one day and eat leftovers the next, it started to feel like less of one. That meant I started enjoying cooking more again.

Anyway, today is a leftover day; appropriately, since today is also my "L" day (no, it wasn't planned). And my leftovers tonight are from the vegetarian roast dinner I had yesterday:

Broccoli, carrots, peas, minted roast potatoes, and marinated quarn (it always tastes best marinated in something).

The roast potatoes were cooked without oil; I never use oil (don't even have any in the house). I just put a bit of water in the pan; just enough so they wont stick to the bottom of it while they cook. Then I just sprinkled them with mint and stuck them in the oven.

The quarn was marinated in a mixture of lemon juice and Branston sweet pickle. Why? Because it sounded like a good idea when I was deciding what to marinate it in. Anyway, it was then lightly fried with a bit of butter (just enough butter so it had some grease in the pan). It turned out very tasty, actually. The pickle gave the quarn a nice bit of flavouring. And you never would have known it was a pickle I have with cheese in a sandwich if you'd tried it without being told; I wouldn't have if I hadn't known. Definitely something I'll do again some time!

Mmmmm... Now I'm really looking forward to tonight's leftovers! ;)

9 comments:

AliceKay said...

I just got another one of those weird error messages when I tried to post a comment. Have no idea what it means. It ate my comment, too, so will try again. :(

I have no idea what "quarn" is. I searched for it online, but nothing in the line of food came up for it. Could you please tell me what it is?

Leftovers are great to have when you don't have much time to prepare a new meal. I don't do it as often as I should. Terri is gone to meetings usually three times a week and they would come in pretty handy sometimes.

*crosses fingers when hitting publish*

ChicagoLady said...

I avoid leftovers whenever I can now. When I was a kid, we had one day a week where my mom would bring out all the leftovers from the last few days and we'd have little bits of a bunch of things. I guess doing that then turned me off from it. To me, food just doesn't taste as good the next day.

That corgi :) said...

That sounds delicious with your veggie roast, Tori! I too like to cook enough for two days for leftovers. And you are right, they usually taste so much better the second day too as the favor permeates in the food!

betty

Toriz said...

AK:
I keep getting the error messages all the time on most blogs; I'm guessing it's an issue Blogger are having in general? *Shrugs*

Anyway, quarn (or is it quorn? I never can remember if it's an a or an o) is a vegetarian alternative to meat. It doesn't have much taste to it, so it tends to absorbe the flavours of what you put it in. Leaving it in a sauce of some kind for at least a few hours before you cook it tends to improve the flavours. Personally I try and either sort it first thing in the morning the day it's being done, or sort it the night before.

Chicago:
Yeah, that would put you off a bit.

Betty:
I think it's a combination of that and the fact you still remember what it was like the day before so are looking forward to it even more. Not to mention the fact a homemade meal always seems to taste better when you haven't spent the day exhausting yourself by cooking it. ;)

Jeanie said...

Looking down your blog and I couldn't agree more with leftovers! Trouble is, I think I'm making enough and then Rick eats it at dinner!

Toriz said...

Jeannie:
Thanks for stopping by! :)

LOL! Yeah, that can happen; though, I suppose, at least that means he obviously enjoyed it. ;)

Mina said...

I love leftovers as well. Sometimes a meal has more flavor after sitting a day or so. I fully agree that it is wise to cook more than is needed so less time is spent doing the actual cooking. ;-) It's a win-win.

Toriz said...

Mina:
*Nods in agreement*

Deanna said...

We don't mind leftovers around here although in many cases I change them up a bit the second time around. Some things really are better the next day. For instance, I'm making vegetarian lasagna tonight and we will have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

I'm glad you mentioned Branston pickle. One of my dearest friends lives in England and I learned about it from her. We have a store in a nearby city which specializes in food items from other countries. I bought some there a few years ago and loved it! I need to get some more. We are *mostly* vegetarian and it really jazzes up a cheese sandwich.