Sunday, May 20, 2012

R is for Review (PTMI)

"Whenever Mamabuela talked about the night AlmaMia got her scar, she said that her granddaughter didn’t wake up until the morning after it happened. “Your big sister watched over you all night,” Mamabuela would say. AlmaMia trusted her grandmother, but she couldn’t control what took place in her nightmares. In dreams, AlmaMia chokes on the tears and blood that bubble out of her eyes, while her sister, Soledad, gloats over the younger girl’s broken body."

~~~From "AlmaMia Cienfuegos: a Story of Blood, Scars and Nightmares" by Magaly Guerrero.

Magaly Guerrero is a writer of dark fiction. Her tales are dark and bloody. And yet, I love them! And now, Magaly has published one of them.

"AlmaMia Cienfuegos: a Story of Blood, Scars and Nightmares" tells the story of AlmaMia Cienfuegos, a 9 year old with a past that would give even the bravest of us nightmares, and an older sister who seems to delight in torturing her. But I wont tell you more than that. No. If you want to know the secrets of AlmaMia Cienfuegos' past, then you'll have to read the story for yourself.

There is a preview of some of it on Magaly's writing site though (see below for the link).

If you're interested, the book is available for download for the kindle now, and I'm sure will become available in other formats later. Grab your copy by clicking the appropriate link below for the country you're in:
Amazon US
Amazon UK
Amazon DE
Amazon FR
Amazon ES
Amazon IT

You can find Magaly at Pagan Culture and her writing site. You may want to go visit; she's hosting a giveaway until May 27th. See either (or both) of her blogs for details.

***

NOTE: The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own, and are neither influenced by anyone elses, nor influenced by the fact Magaly is a friend. I have reviewed this book as I would any random book which I happened to pick up and read.

4 comments:

AliceKay said...

Not my cuppa tea, but I'm glad you enjoy reading her work. *hugs*

Toriz said...

AK:
You'd be surprised. Several times recently I've said that, only to find I've enjoyed the book in question. But, if you feel it's not your cup of tea, fair enough.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Thanks so much for the review, Tori. And even more for suggesting that it might surprise AliceKay. You are right about that, for example, I'm not crazy about sports writing, but I had to read Linsanity by by Alan Goldsher and after experiencing his voice I'm now reading A Game of Groans, which is hilarious. I do love it when a book surprises me ;-)

Toriz said...

Mags:
you're very welcome! :)