Write one good clean sentence, put a period at the end of it. Then write another one
~MFK Fisher
Despite hiccups in the week, like being in pain after my hospital treatment (those who want to know more about how that went will get to soon... In an upcoming Tuesday post) and waiting for a phone call - from someone who claims to understand the concept of how being at home pretty much all the time doesn't mean not having things that need doing, but clearly doesn't, because if she did understand, she wouldn't keep doing this to me - that caused me to waste an entire afternoon, I managed to finish the rewrites on the story inspired by Lilie and Logan. Now to put it through the editing phases, and then begin getting it ready to share with you all. I'm still planning on a May release, so I'll be sharing more about the story in the not-too-distant future. For now though, I'm just basking in the joy of having finally finished the writing and rewriting parts of it. I love doing it, but more than anything I love knowing it's done, and I'll soon be able to share it with the world. Well, those who want to read it anyhow.
I love revisions. You get to take this thing you love, and open it up, and make it BETTER.
~Victoria Schwab
Anyway, let's see what I've found to share with you this week, shall we?
The writing process, and writing life in general:
- 12 essential tips for writers on surviving (and avoiding) burnout
- 10 reasons it's ok to write sad stories
- How to write when there's no time to write
- 12 reasons writing still feels like work (and why that's not a bad thing)
- 5 mistakes to avoid if you want to finish your book
- 12 truths all writers must never forget
- Even when you think you 'can't' write, write 'something'
A writer needs three things, experience, observation, and imagination.
~William Faulkner
Characters:
- Character archetypes: the herald
- 5 things your alpha male character needs
- How to build powerful character relationships
Write about what you know and care deeply about. When one puts one's self on paper—that is what is called good writing.
~Joel Chandler Harris
Editing:
You say the sentence, or you write the sentence again and again until the tuning fork is still.
~Martin Amis
Marketing:
- 7 winning marketing tips for self-publishers
- What do Amazon KDP terms mean for self-published authors in 2020?
I wanted to remind authors that the value of their writing transcends monetary measures. If your book has the potential to bring a smile to a single reader, your book is important. Whether you write fiction or nonfiction, your book has the potential to change lives and maybe even save lives. What can be more
important than that? Just because your sales suck doesn’t mean that you’re not worthy. Most writers’ sales suck, whether they’re traditionally published or self-published. Most writers will have good months and bad months, good years and bad years. If you only measure your success by money, you’ll probably burn out and quit, but if you develop other measures of success, like finding joy in the creative process or making your next book better than the last or finding joy in pressing the publish button when you’re finally ready to share your soul with the world, then you’re more likely to continue writing and publishing. Therefore, you’re more likely to eventually emerge from your obscurity to achieve the greatest commercial success.
~Mark Coker
2 comments:
Glad you are finished with your procedure and hope all is well. I have periodic phone call dates with a friend. We talk a long time but we schedule a few days in advance and have a window -- if the person calling is more than a half hour late, we go on about our lives. We don't wait. No harm, no foul, no hurt feelings. Things happen -- we forget, something comes up. But that doesn't mean that the other person should be nailed to the phone. It works really well!
Jeanie:
Yeah, it went smoothly, and seems to be healing well. Will give full details in the near future.
That kind of thing is fine. I don't mind giving up some time to talk to people, or even giving a window of time to wait for a potential call. I don't even mind unscheduled calls where if I tell the person I don't have much time to chat, they either get to the point, or arrange to talk later. But this was none of those things. This was a text coming out of the blue saying the person needed to talk to me about something important, a promise of a call in 15 minutes when I said I could spare a few minutes if it really was important, a wait of a couple of hours before the call actually came, a situation it turned out I needed to talk to Kelly about (resulting in me needing to hang up, go wake him from the nap he'd been having, and then call the person back) and - as I said in the post - a wasted afternoon. Not to mention, because of who it was, I had to be careful about making my displeasure known, because it's someone I can't risk upsetting/annoying too much, so that fact added to my frustration (especially when combined with the fact the person keeps doing these kinds of things, no matter how many reminders of how I have things to do I give).
Post a Comment