Tuesday, December 08, 2020

8 #Mindfulness #Quotes From Buddha - Because It's #BodhiDay

Today isBodhi Day.
     
"What's that?" I hear you ask.
     
Each year on December 8th, Buddhists celebrate the day that Siddhartha Gautama achieved enlightenment through meditation. The word Bodhi means awakening or enlightenment. Siddhartha Gautama, the founder of Buddhism, is popularly known as the Buddha. 
     

    
Now, I'm not actually Buddhist myself.  However, while that's certainly the case, I do incorperate some of the Buddhist beliefs and Buddha's teachings in to aspects of my daily life - or try to anyhow - and claim Buddhism as one of the influences on my version of Eclectic Paganism (along with Celtic Druidism, Native American beliefs, and Wicca... In case you're interested).  So, since I had some quotes from Buddha I wanted to share, I figured this was a perfect oppertunity to acknowledge the day (even though I don't actually do anything to celebrate the day) and share those quotes at the same time.
    
*~* 
     
"Just as a snake sheds its skin, we must shed our past over and over again."
~Buddha
"With our thoughts we make the world."
~Buddha
"We are shaped by our thoughts; We become what we think. When the mind is pure, Joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."
~Buddha
"The Way is not in the sky, the Way is in the heart."
~Buddha
"Be where you are, otherwise you will miss your life."
~Buddha
"If the problem can be solved why worry? If the problem cannot be solved worrying will do you no good."
~Buddha
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."
~Buddha
"If you are facing in the right direction, all you need to do is keep on walking."
~Buddha

2 comments:

Rita said...

These are great quotes by Buddha. I feel like I have a little Buddha sprinkled into my spiritual beliefs, too. I remember reading Siddhartha when I was a teenager. :)

I hope you and the critters made the move okay?

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
I had a feeling you had some influence from Buddha in your beliefs.

Yes, we did. Just didn't get internet back until Tuesday, and still trying to get enough boxes unpacked and sorted that I can walk about without tripping over, so haven't had time to worry about catching up online yet.