Monday, June 23, 2008

Musings: Words, nature & mankind

Words. They're such powerful things. They always have been... Ever since mankind first walked the Earth. Even when language was not as developed as it is today words held power beyond the comprehention of even the wisest of wisemen/wisewomen. A simple word can save someone's life. A simple word can warm the hardest of hearts. And a simple word can cut a wound that will never heal in the heart and soul of a fellow human being. But - all too often - words are taken for granted. I was reminded of this fact when I read a particular post on a particular blog while reading through the posts on the blogs I visit. It was a very thought provoking post, and it got me thinking about all the other things that mankind takes for granted.

Since life first began on this planet, nature has provided everything the beings who live on the planet need to survive. There was a time when mankind remembered this fact and people were grateful for nature's gifts. But then mankind became greedy and now almost everyone takes nature for granted. There are those who still remember (or have taken the time to learn) what a wonderful thing nature can be. But too few people remembered too late, and now the damage is done.

It's a shame, because we could learn a lot from nature. The animals especially have many lessons to teach us. If we would only take the time to listen, watch, and learn. For example... Animals kill and eat only what they "need" to survive. They don't know the meaning of greed, and they make do with what they can get. Mankind, however, is greedy. The more we have, the more we want. We take it for granted that there will be more tomorrow... But, will there?

Tori,

6 comments:

whimsical brainpan said...

Great post Tori!

I hope and pray that it is not too late, that mankind will learn and change its' ways.

Part of me fears it will never happen.

I hope that part is wrong for all of our sakes.

Intense Guy said...

Nice post indeed.

You are very right about how badly the Earth as been treated and exploited. While everyone says "it is our only planet" and says "we need to do better" - each day that goes by sees more and more destruction.

On the otherhand, nature teaches us that populations (humans included) are "self-limiting" and when the limit is reached, the limiting will take place - and it will be brutal, painful, and ugly.

Nature also teaches us that "mankinds" works, buildings and so on, are at best temporary. In less time than you might think, if we all were not here as of a moment, our "monuments" to "ourselves" will disapear, some as quickly as in dozens of years or less.

I'm sorry to have put you in a pensive / pessimist mood, such was not intended. *Hugs*

Tori_z said...

Whim:
I hope it isn't too late.

Iggy:
Very true.

Oh, don't worry about it... I was heading that way before I even had the PC on, let alone got to your blog.

Jayde_Bramblerose said...

well tori how right you are when you say " how this world " let alone the " planet 2 is taken for granted, so well said you, :), and i am going to try and put a paper cutting on my blog spot which will show just how cruel people are.

LadyStyx said...

Wow....Im skimming down and cant believe I missed some of these posts. This one was very well put and I doubt that I could have expressed myself half as well.

Tori_z said...

LadyStyx:
I think it helped that I'm a writer so I'm used to expressing myself through writing.