Thursday, October 07, 2010

Achievements, lessons and plans

When I did the Mabon post a couple of weeks ago, Iggy asked me what I have achieved and learned this past year, and what I plan for the future. This post is to answer his question.

What I have learned and achieved:

* I have learned that you can't help but smile when a baby smiles, even if you can't see the smile. Just knowing she (or he) is smiling is enough.

* I have learned that even a blind person can push a baby's pram.

* I have learned that "what ifs" aren't worth thinking about, because they stop you from moving forward.

* I have realized that the only thing stopping me from taking longer walks alone is my own fears of leaving my "comfort zone" and have managed to take myself just a little further (not as far as I would like to go, but enough so I was out of the zone I had become comfortable with, while still being within easy reach of returning to it).

* I have spent 10 of the last 12 months as a vegetarian, and have discovered more of a variety of food items because of it. Some people think a vegetarian diet is more limited than that of a meat eater, but it isn't.

* I have learned that pretending to believe in the magical things of childhood brings back a little of the magical feeling that seemed so real back then (e.g. the excitement of Christmas when you still believe in Santa).

There may be other things that I have either learned or achieved over the past year, but if there are then I can't remember what they were at the moment.

And my plans for the future?

* To conquer my fear and walk further with Kero - and on my own.

* To try the food items that are suitable for vegetarians that I still haven't been brave enough to try.

I think those are reasonable goals to plan to achieve.

8 comments:

Rita said...

I know you can't see it, but this post has me grinning from ear to ear. ;)

Deanna said...

Awesome. I have a lot to learn from you. What you've learned is wonderful and your goals are perfect. You are amazing.

Toriz said...

*Blushes*

Intense Guy said...

I'm left to simple say "ditto" to what Rita and Deanna said.

If you think you could manage reading another blog - I know of one that might inspire you - it's written young woman who lost her legs and is learning how to walk again - and how each step further away - was a challenge and goal - she took it a day at a time - and just a step further each day.

Toriz said...

Iggy:
Sure, I could manage another blog. Send me the link. :)

AliceKay said...

I'm with the others. :) Your achievements are great, and your outlook is inspiring. *hugs*

Toriz said...

*Blushes again*

Thanks all!

Toriz said...

And thanks for the link, Iggy!