Thursday, May 09, 2019

#AmReading + #AmWatching - May 9th 2019 #Reviews

It's time to take a look at what I've been reading and watching during this past week.

If you want to know more about the book, or the author, click on whichever it is you want to learn more about, and it will take you to the appropriate page on Goodreads. Clicking on my rating should take you to my actual Goodreads review for the book in question. Please bear in mind that the format I've reviewed on Goodreads may not be the format I actually read.

Alternatively, if it's a movie or TV show you want to know more about, just click on the title to go to a page where you can find out more details about the movie or TV show in question; the title links will usually take you to a page on IMDB.

Don't forget: I read and watch things across multiple genres, as well as for different age ranges, so you should always check before reading or viewing, to make certain something is suitable for the intended audience, especially when children are involved.

OK...

Here's what I read this week:

Once Upon a Unicorn: An illustrated children's bookOnce Upon a Unicorn: An illustrated children's book by Isla Wynter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This is a cute little story. Could have done with there being a bit more challenge to facing each obstacle, since it felt like he got the solutions a bit too easily. But other than that it was great.

Kristine the YoungestKristine the Youngest by Barbara G. Tarn
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is a fantastic addition to the series. I enjoyed getting to know Kristine, while watching the characters I got to know in previous books adjusting to the 21st century.

Wardens of Wisteria (Wisteria Witches Mysteries - Daybreak, #1)Wardens of Wisteria by Angela Pepper
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
My actual rating is 3.5 stars, but I rounded up. Though it says you can start at this point in the Wisteria books if you like in the book's description, I don't advise it, since there were several points where I felt like someone who has walked in half way through a conversation, and is missing vital pieces of information required to completely understand who or what is being discussed. Another issue I have is that magic is meant to drain energy reserves, yet the main character uses it even for silly little things like brushing crumbs off the table, or straightening the blankets after getting out of bed, which I found irritating, since it felt like she was doing it just to show off that she could; just because you can use magic to do almost everything, doesn't mean you should, especially when you already know your magic reserves are low at the moment. Also, why is the 33 year old main character displaying less maturity than her tenage daughter? I get that the teen is meant to be more mature than most kids her age, and that's fine. But it would be nice if her Mother displayed a bit of maturity too. I enjoyed the book enough that I want to read the others in the series - though I plan on making sure to read the rest in chronological order - but so far I'm liking the author's Stormy Day mystery series better.

A Book of NonsenseA Book of Nonsense by Edward Lear
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
An amusing collection of silly rhymes.

As for what I've been watching:

I was going to watch some of the Star Wars movies on the weekend, since Saturday was May 4th, so Star Wars Day. But I couldn't decide whether to just watch the original trilogy, or all the ones I have copies of (the first seven). Then there's the question of whether I should watch them in chronological order, or release order... Decisions, decisions. Anyway, I couldn't decide, so I ended up watching the next two disks of NCIS season 9 instead.

4 comments:

JACK said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful article really!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jack:
Um... You're welcome.

Rita said...

I am annoyed by books with characters who lack common sense, too. Maybe earlier books explain the whys, but in a series you should be able to read any one of them on their own. A good author usually throws in a sentences or two of necessary background information here and there so that the reader doesn't feel lost if they haven't read the previous books in a series.

I watched all the Star Wars movies chronologically when there were only six of them. Is a rather confusing series, really. I still like the first one made and think it is the best of the lot and stands on its own.

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
I agree on both counts.