Thursday, November 28, 2019

#AmReading + #AmWatching + #AmListening - #Reviews For November 28th 2019

I read for pleasure and that is the moment I learn the most.
~Margaret Atwood

Welcome to this week's weekly media shares and reviews post!

*Disclaimer: no matter what's being reviewed, all opinions in this post are entirely my own, and I reserve the right to have them, regardless of who may or may not share them. Feel free to express your own in the comments, but please respect my right - and the rights of other commenters - to have opinions that might differ from yours, and to express those opinions too.

Also, please remember that I read/watch/listen to things in a variety of genres, and for all ages, so you should make sure you check that the book/movie/show/song is suitable for the intended audience before reading/watching/listening to it, especially if children are involved. I take no responsibility for anything which may happen as a result of failing to do so.

If you want to know more about the book, or the author, click on whichever it is you want to learn more about, and it will take you to the appropriate page on Goodreads. Clicking on my rating should take you to my actual Goodreads review for the book in question. Please bear in mind that the format I've reviewed on Goodreads may not be the format I actually read.

Alternatively, if it's a movie or TV show you want to know more about, just click on the title to go to a page where you can find out more details about the movie or TV show in question; the title links will usually take you to a page on IMDB.

Unless otherwise stated, all music videos are via YouTube.


OK, so... Let's see what I've been reading, watching, and listening to, shall we?

This week I read...

The House Beneath the Oak TreesThe House Beneath the Oak Trees by Faye Belle
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I got a copy of this book through the narrator of the audio version, whose work I'm a fan of after having had her narrate some of my own books. Had it not been for her, I wouldn't have even known this book existed. I'm really glad I did learn of its existance and get to read it though. It's an excellent drark gothic story, with a great cast of characters, and an interesting plot full of surprises.

Warned (Valkyrie Academy Dragon Alliance, #7)Warned by Katrina Cope
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This book is another excellent addition to the series, as well as a wonderful story in its own right, which left me chomping at the bit for more. It's a fantastic read, sprinkled with mysteries, threats to overcome, magic, and action, which also lets us see the quieter moments, when we can watch the bonds between the dragons and those they are paired with growing and evolving.
*NOTE: I was given an advanced copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review. This fact has in no way influenced my opinion of the book, nor the contents of this review.

Abby and Holly Series, Book 3: Secrets of the TrunkAbby and Holly Series, Book 3: Secrets of the Trunk by Janice Spina
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This was an excellent read for middle graders, and those who are grown up but still enjoy children's stories - especially fans of paranormal mysteries. The whole series teaches valuable life lessons children should be taught - and even some of us adults could sometimes do with a reminder of - but in a fun way. As with the previous books, this one has a fantastic plot, and a wonderful cast of well-rounded and relatable characters.

As for what I've been watching this week...

I watched two DVDs this week: the final disk of "The Big Bang Theory" season 3, and the first disk of season 4.

I've also been slowly working my way through episodes of "Rugrats" via Amazon Prime on my Kindle, which I couldn't resist doing when I saw it was on there. I had been sticking to just using my Kindle for books, but some evenings I feel like watching something, which is tricky to do when I don't have a laptop, and Lilie and Logan settle better if I take them in the bedroom (they're not allowed in the living room after a certain time, so as to give Joshua and Mollie peace during the time Mollie is most active, and therefore most likely to get barked at by excitable puppies). So, since I have Amazon Prime anyhow, I figured I might as well make use of more than the faster delivery aspects of it, and have been watching episodes of "Rugrats" between reading sessions.

Anyway...

Last, but not least, this week I've been listening to...

The movie "Frozen 2" was released in cinemas last week. I obviously didn't go see it, or there would have been a review for it in the part of this post about things I watched. It's not that I don't want to see it, because I totally do. But I'm waiting for the DVD. In the meantime, one of the Disney YouTube channels was posting the soundtracks for it, so I've listened to some of those. Considering the recent release of the movie, and the fact it's appropriate for the time of year, I thought I'd share one of those soundtracks with you today. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Rita said...

I love Big Bang for light entertainment--like The Office or Friends I guess. I've never seen the first Frozen, so I'd need to see that one first. I heard this was the biggest animated opening in theaters ever, so it must be popular. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Yeah... Big Bang kind of reminds me of Friends, only with more science and geeky stuff.

Oh, yes, Frozen is incredibly popular. A lot of people have been eagerly waiting for this sequel, ever since it was announced they'd be doing it. I'm eager enough to see it that I was almost tempted to go to the cinema (something I haven't done in years).

Jeanie said...

I know practically nothing about Frozen but the first was so popular I'm sure they'll do well with this!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
I'm sure they will. If it's as good as the first one, people are going to love it too.