Wednesday, November 13, 2019

#WriterWednesday - November 13th 2019

In case you didn't see last week's post: "Mr. Pumpkin-Head And Other Poems" is now available in audio, narrated by Carol Weakland. Full details and purchase links for all formats can be found in the post I just linked to. Alternatively, you can just go grab your copy from Audible. No, that's not the only place you can get the audio version; for the iTunes or Amazon audiobook purchase links, please see the first link in this post.

In other audiobook news: though "Voyage Of The Crimson Sail" is almost done (I should get the final version to approve in a few days time) I'm still looking for a narrator for my pet themed poetry collection, "Puppy Poems And Rodent Rhymes." I had hoped Carol would be able to do that one too, especially since she did "Rodent Rhymes And Pussycat Poems" and they sort of go together. But she's unable to do so, which means I'm looking for someone else. I've had a couple of auditions, but nobody that stands out yet. So, if you're an ACX narrator looking for a relatively short royalty share project, I'd love for you to submit your audition. I'm taking auditions until Friday (November 15th).

In the meantime, I've been taking a rather relaxed view towards writing over the past couple of weeks, and just been adding a few words here and there to a couple of projects. Part of me would like to be writing more, but the rest of me is enjoying just playing too much to care, and knows I need to keep it this way for now. So, I'm going to let myself "play" until the end of 2019, and then I'll make myself commit to one of my writing projects properly. I just need this more relaxed approach right now, in the interests of self care.

Sometimes writing books feels like trying to drink a lake, one teacup at a time.
~V.E. Schwab

Anyway, we're almost half way through the month. If you're doing NaNoWriMo, how's it going? Are you on track so far? I hope so.

Whether you're doing NaNoWriMo or not, there are going to be times when you sit down to write, and just can't seem to do it. In short, moments of writers' block. So, can you still write when the words won't come? Short answer: yes. Sure, what you write might be terrible. But, at least if you write something, there will be something you can tidy up later, and turn in to something good, which is how it works with writing anyway, so... *shrugs*

I'm writing a first draft and reminding myself that I'm simply shoveling sand into a box so that later I can build castles.
~Shannon Hale

Remember: don't write 'perfect,' write better!

With that in mind, this is how to be a more productive writer, and a guide to self-doubt.

So, you have exactly 15 minutes free. Will you use it to write? Hint: you probably should, especially if you've been struggling to get your writing time in. Just saying.

If I waited for perfection, I would never write a word.
~Margaret Atwood

Anyway, check out these tips for writing that first chapter, which will hopefully help you figure out where your story should start.

No matter how your story starts, here are some ideas for adding suspense to your story, to make sure those readers you hope to have one day will keep turning the pages.

By the way, is one of the characters in your story autistic? If so, here's a useful guide to writing autistic characters, which you might want to check out, so you can make sure you get your facts right.

Regardless of the kinds of characters in your story, here's a bit of advice for when your characters won't behave.

I don’t have ugly ducklings turning into swans in my stories. I have ugly ducklings turning into confident ducks.
~Maeve Binchy

Last, but certainly not least, here are some thoughts on research - how deep do you go?

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

Personally, I think playing is important. It relaxes us, we have a good time, we let our minds go free for awhile and then when we are back to work can be more productive, have more ideas, and just maybe be a little bit better.

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
I agree, and that's the plan. :)