Tuesday, October 20, 2020

The Literary Dinner Party #Book Tag

I found this one on this post on the Dreamland Book Blog when searching for some fun tags to do earlier this year - just so you know where I got it.
 
As usual, I'm not tagging anyone, so if you want to do it, just feel free to play along.  You can either post your answers in the comments section, or post them on your own blog, or whatever.  If you don't post them in the comments, make sure to let me know where you're posting them though, because I'd hate to miss reading them.
 
Anyway, in this tag, you’re hosting  a dinner party. You can invite any character you want, but there are 10 different categories you need to fill, and there is only room for 12 people - including you.  No social distancing or masks required for this particular party, and nobody will complain that there are more than six people attending either.  So, here are the catagories, along with who I'd invite from each of them:
 
1. One character who can cook/likes to cook
 
Rachel Morgan from Kim Harrison's "Hollows" series.  She knows her way around the kitchen - she has to to do her spellwork - and loves spending time in her kitchen, whether spelling or baking.  She's also good about being careful to keep spellwork and cooking seporated, so I won't need to constantly worry that there's potion in the pizza.
 
2. One character who has money to fund the party
 
Aeson Kassiope from Vera Nazarian's "Atlantis Grail" series.  He's royalty and a star ship commander, with plenty of money.  Plus, it gives me an excuse to invite him.
 
3. One character who might cause a scene
 
Harry Dresden from Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files" books.  Because something eventful always happens at parties Harry ends up invited to.  That's not always a good thing, but I could guarantee it wouldn't be a dull party with Harry on the guest list.  The survivors will likely be talking about it for some time.
 
4. One character who is funny/amusing
 
Adrian Mole from Sue Townsend's "Adrian Mole" series.  He's not the brightest of people in many ways, and is kind of naive at times, but he's a lover of literature, so we could talk about a lot of books we've both read.  He can also be entertaining, even if not always on purpose.
 
5. One character who is super social/popular
 
Pippi Longstocking from Astrid Lindgren's "Pippi Longstocking" series.  She's incredibly outgoing, and loads of fun to have around.  There will be fun at the party with Pippi there, that's for sure.
 
6. One villain
 
Artemis Fowl from Eoin Colfer's "Artemis Fowl" series.  Yes, he's a villain, but he's also a very intelligent young man who knows a lot about a lot of things from technology to fairy folk.  Having him on the guest list could make for some interesting discussions.
 
7. One couple – doesn’t have to be romantic
 
Jamie and Claire Fraser from Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series.  Because I want an excuse to invite Jamie, Claire would be useful to have on hand in case of medical emergencies, and Jamie wouldn't let Claire come without him if he could avoid it anyhow, so that's a good excuse for me to include him in the invitation.
 
8. One hero/heroine
 
Doctor Who, from the series of the same name.  No, I'm not cheating here, because there are several books telling the stories of The Doctor as well as the TV series you likely thought of first, though they're by a variety of authors, which is why I didn't name an author here.  Anyway, Doctor Who is good to have around in a crisis, and there's plenty of room for us to all fit in his tardis if needs be, so there's that.  But also he's seen a lot during his travels through time and space, so I'm sure could contribute a lot to some of the interesting conversations I hope we'll be having at my dinner party.
 
9. One underappreciated character
 
This one's tough to answer, since I'm not really sure which characters are appreciated most. although, house elves aren't appreciated much by most people in the "Harry Potter" books, and I like Dobby, so I'm going to invite him.  I'm sure he'll be thrilled.  I just hope he realizes he's a guest and not there to serve us.
 
10. One character of your own choosing
 
Luna Lovegood from J K Rowling's "Harry Potter" books.  Just because I want her to come.  She seems like someone who would be fun to have around, and I want to be her friend, so I'm inviting her to my party.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

I'm always planning my imaginary dinner parties but I've never done it with book characters. That's a puzzle!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
You should totally do it. Then tell me who you'd invite. :)