Thursday, October 01, 2020

#AmReading + #AmWatching + #AmListening - Media Shares And #Reviews 01-10-20

Reading is the creative center of a writer's life. You cannot hope to sweep someone else away by the force of your writing until it has been done to you.
~Stephen King

    

*~*~*

    
Welcome to this week's weekly media shares and reviews post!
    

~

    
*Disclaimer: no matter what's being reviewed, all opinions in this post are entirely my own, and I reserve the right to have them, regardless of who may or may not share them. Feel free to express your own in the comments, but please respect my right - and the rights of other commenters - to have opinions that might differ from yours, and to express those opinions too.
    
Also, please remember that I read/watch/listen to things in a variety of genres, and for all ages, so you should make sure you check that the book/movie/show/song is suitable for the intended audience before reading/watching/listening to it, especially if children are involved. I take no responsibility for anything which may happen as a result of failing to do so.     

     

*~*

    
OK. Let's see what I've been reading, watching, and listening to, and which song I'm going to share this week, shall we? After all, that's the point of this post, and why you're here today, right?
    

*~*

    

  • Reading:

This week I finished reading the book I'd been reading last week, read an entire other book (which I was given in exchange for a review) and started another.  So, here are my book reviews for both titles I finished.
    

Ravenous (War of Nytefall, #5)
by Charles E. Yallowitz
My rating: five out of five stars

This is another excellent addition to this series, which shows some fantastic character development, and has an exciting and action-packed plot. Some delicate topics - including both grief and addiction - are touched upon in this story, which were handled very well in my opinion. Had life not gotten in the way, I could have easily devoured this book in one sitting.
    

~

    

The Destruction of Rose (Albany Nightingale Duet, #1)
by Rachel M. Raithby
My rating: five out of five stars

This book was so much more than the highschool romance I went in to it expecting. It's a fantastic read about all the stuff teenagers have to deal with, including bullying, peer pressure, etc. The characters are believable, even if they're the kind of people I would want as neither friend nor enemy, and the plot is gripping and full of emotion and drama. I can't wait to read the sequel!
*NOTE: I was given a free copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review. This fact has in no way influenced either my opinion of the book or the contents of this review.
    

*~*

    

  • Watching:

This week I watched more "Friends" episodes.  Yes, I'm still doing that.

     

~

     

I had planned to finish watching "Game Of Thrones" (since I still need to finish season 7, as well as watch season 8) but didn't get to it.  I will soon though, since I need to watch the DVDs piled up on my coffee table so they can get packed for when we move.  We were able to just carry them downstairs when we moved last time, making keeping them seporated from the ones I already watched easy during the move, but I'll need to actually pack them this time, so it would be useful if it didn't matter if they got mixed up with the DVDs I have already watched, which means I need to start making watching my DVDs more of a priority than watching things on Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime.  So I need to watch the rest of "Game Of Thrones" and then start working my way through the other DVDs in that pile that's sitting on my coffee table waiting to be watched.

    

*~*

    

  • Listening:

This week I've been listening to a combination of country music and 80s music.  But I can't decide which genre to pick a song from.  So, since it's now October, which means Halloween is right around the corner, let's have afun vaguely Halloween themed song to start getting us in the mood for some spooky Halloween fun.  In fact, this one might even give you a reason to smile - maybe even chuckle - today.  So, though it's not actually related to anything I've been listening to during this past week (unless you count the fact there was apparently a movie featuring it brought out in the 1980s) here's the Purple People Eater song for your listening pleasure... Enjoy!

    


4 comments:

Rita said...

This song was out when I was a little kid! I googled it and it was made originally in 1958. I didn't even know there was a movie in the 80s--LOL! I remember they used to play and sing part of this song at Minnesota Vikings games, too, because their colors are purple and gold. Silly song! Must have been a silly movie. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Yeah, I knew it was made originally in 1958, and only found out about the movie myself when I was looking up the song to post. Although, the movie does explain the renewed interest in the song when I was a kid. I agree it must have been a silly movie... Kind of want to see it now. LOL! Anyway, glad you enjoyed the silly song. :)

Jeanie said...

I haven't heard Purple People Eater in ages! A song for our times and all times! Thanks for the smiles.

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
You're welcome... Glad it made you smile. :)