Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Chaos in the kitchen

Not last week, but the week before, some plumbers came to sort the pipes for our heating and water system. We were told that it shouldn't have disrupted much, and they were meant to clean up when they were done. Now, I know you don't know what my kitchen looks like normally, but this is how they left it when they went home, after three days of total chaos.


Where the opening is in this first photo - where the teatowel is - there's meant to be a drawer. The drawer was discovered in the spare bedroom. Apparently it was in the way of them getting to the pipes under the sink, which is fair, but they were meant to put stuff back.



Where the new heater is, my fridge was. I don't mind that they moved it, but I had a huge issue with where they moved it to... They had to pull the shelves out of my airing cupboard to get the old boiler out, and figured since it was empty they'd shove the fridge in there... Right outside my bathroom door. Yeah, I wasn't happy. I mean, this is meant to be done to "health and safety" standards... How does that comply with them? Anyway, this is where the new boiler is and the fridge was (the fridge is in a new location in the kitchen now).



I'm sure you noticed the mess on the table in that last photo? Well, here's more photos of the mess.




That stuff is what was in my cupboards (mainly the cupboard under the sink), what was on the worktop near the sink, and what was on the fridge. See the fruit bowl among all the cleaning stuff? Health and safety went out the window again, I guess. And do you see the microwave? No? Well, that's because that was also left in our spare room. Although, at least I knew that was moved in there in the first place. But it was meant to have been put back.

It was agreed when the work was planned that they could move anything required, but they had to put anything they moved back, and if they couldn't - like with the fridge - they had to talk to ME and arrange a new location with me. Not with Kelly. Not with my Mam - who wasn't there anyway - but me. Why me? Because I'm the one who can't just look around and say, "ah, that's where they put that!" So, I'm the one who items being moved affects most.

When they get here Monday morning (August 9th) I intend having a word about the mess, and telling them that if they leave that much mess this time, then I will be phoning their boss - who I have a direct number for, in case I need to have a word with him about them, or anything to do with the work - and I will be complaining about it.

I'm already not happy that they had Kelly use my mobile to call the kitchen guy to authorise the relocation of the fridge. Especially when they all have mobiles of their own.

Yeah, right now I'm not a happy camper. Did you notice?

Also, the guys left a radiator behind when they were doing our radiators when doing the heating system. They told us they'd come back for it. It took them until yesterday to pick it up.

On a brighter note, the guy came to sort our new fire at the end of that week, and was nice enough to even atatch the fire guard properly for me. He asked if the baby gate and fire guard were for a baby or a dog, so I told him for a dog right now, though my little niece is starting to become mobile, and my Godson - though only a couple of days old at the time - is only a couple of months younger. So he said, "well, then we better get this fire guard atatched properly!" So, he sent Kelly to find the fittings for it, and atatched it before he left.



When all of the work is done, there should be some "before" photos which Iggy is very kindly sorting for me to post with the "after" photos, so you should get to see the old fire and fireplace in those. I will be doing the photos once the work is done, but before we redecorate, because I'm not sure when we'll get to the actual redecorating part.

Today they are here to sort electrical stuff. Next week the real work begins. I was looking forward to it. Now I'm just looking forward to when it's over, because if just sorting a few pipes caused this much hastle, how much will remodeling my kitchen and bathroom cause? Not to mention the fact... It's the same plumbers coming back to do the bathroom!

Anyway, we discovered on Monday when the guy came to see what would need doing, that Kero hates the electric guy - we have no idea why - so I've agreed to take him to my parents' place for the day and leave Kelly in charge of the electric guy. Besides, if I go up there I get to see baby Emma-Jane, because Mam and Dad have her for the whole day today.

6 comments:

AliceKay said...

Wow, they sure are making a mess for you. I can see why you're upset. I would be, too. It's very annoying when people don't do what they're supposed to do.

I hope when the "real work" starts next week, it will go more quickly and without as many hassles. Will be thinking of you.

*hugs*

Deanna said...

I'm so sorry you are having to go through all of this. What they did is just not right. Hopefully when everything is done, you will breathe a sigh of relief and say it was worth it.

Hugsssss!

Intense Guy said...

I better get going and start sorting, or you will be direct calling my boss!

:)

I hope the phase of work is done much more neatly and in agreement with the contract.

Hugs.

Rita said...

I can never understand why people can be so inconsiderate and not do what they promise to do! I would definitely talk to them and tell them you will call their boss if they don't do as they are supposed to. I hope things go smoother in the future. Be so glad when this is all over with for you. I know disruptions like this throw me off completely. Keep us updated as to their progress. I hope you don't have to bury them in the backyard like AliceKay's cable guys!! ;)

AliceKay said...

I'll make room. ;)

Toriz said...

Yeah, it will be worth it in the end, I guess. Still, I wish they'd remember to clean their messes!

LOL @ burying them with AK's cable guys. ;)