Thursday, August 05, 2010

Summer 2010 all day gaming event (FD)

My little big brother (Carl) is here with his wife (Rachel) for their Summer visit. Well, I say, "here," but they're actually staying with my parents. Anyway, we have figure gaming sessions set up - which you might have read about on Kelly's blog, and also might remember me mentioning a couple of weeks back - and this post is about one of those sessions.



The above photo is of Kelly's German army (left) and Carl's Russian army (right) for a tabletop game that is basically an adult version of all those toy soldiers that boys play with. The game is called "Flames Of War," and Kelly has mentioned it on his blog. I don't know more about it than I've already said, since I'm not all that interested in the game myself. You'll have to ask Kelly (on his blog) if you have any questions about it.
That's just one of the games played on Sunday. I don't have photos of any others though, because I forgot my camera. This one was the only one taken, and it was taken with my mobile. I wasn't too sure how my phone's camera worked, and Dad decided using it was too much hastle for more photos, hence not getting more than this one photo. It's a shame in a way, because most of the systems we play were played at one point, so we could have had a photo of each of them. I'm taking my camera this weekend (another gaming day, though not all day) and will see what I can get for anyone who wants to see photos.

I played:


Classic BattleTech (robots with pilots in their heads, fighting until either the robots themselves - known as Mechs - or the pilots are dead) with Carl... He won, by sneaking up behind my mech and slicing its head open with an axe, chopping my pilot in half. Well, that's what we figure must have happened to the pilot, anyway.

D and D minis (Dungeons And Dragons as a tabletop game instead of a roleplaying game) with Carl... We called it a draw, since we ran out of time.

Hordes (extremely intelligent, weapon using creatures, mentally controlled by wizards) with Carl... I won. Despite him killing all my beasts. I was lucky enough to be able to win by getting my warlock to kill his first... Warlock/Caster kill is the point behind Hordes and Warmachine.

I also tried a game called Mordheim (mutants and undead creatures fighting in ruined streets), which I played with Dad. I won, but I didn't think much of the game. Really cool figures, but I didn't like the system, and there's way too much scenery needed for my liking. But, at least I can say I tried it out. And, hey, I won my only game of it. Can't really moan about that, right? ;)

Also played were the following:

Bloodbowl (American Football, with weapons and fighting). It was Ian and Julian who played that, I think... I'm not sure who won though.

Flames Of War (as mentioned above). Kelly beat Carl.

Star Wars Minis (Star Wars converted in to a tabletop game). It was Gareth and Winnie who played that... I think Gareth won.

Warhammer 40K (the classic tabletop game... Different races, different types of weapons, and a whole lot of figures and vehicles... Basically, the classic soldiers games with fancy weapons, cool vehicles, and all kinds of races). Dad and Gareth played that... I have no idea who won.

Warmachine (robots controled mentally by wizards... Identical to Hordes, with the exception of the whole robots or beasts thing). Julian and Gareth played that... Gareth won.

I think that's all of them.

We also had a buffet.

I took a load of tuck stuff with me, but I needn't have bothered. Mam sent me some veggie quiche, cheese crisps, and onion rings. Ian brought some cookies and allowed me to grab some before anyone else. And Winnie brought pizza, and had made sure it said it was suitable for vegetarians, and he took me to get some first, before anyone else got their hands on it. So I brought almost all my tuck stuff home, and ate it Monday instead.

All in all, I think it was a pretty successful gaming day.

The roleplaying session the night before was pretty good too, though not nearly as successful as the gaming day. We hardly got anything done, being totally honest. But everyone had fun, and isn't that what matters most at the end of the day? Well, I think it is!

9 comments:

AliceKay said...

It's good to have fun once in awhile. It's what keeps you young. :)

Toriz said...

AK:
Then I want to have a lot of fun, because I don't want to grow up! ;)

Intense Guy said...

I was stunned by how elaborate that table set up is - and with all the game peices, not to mention the rules, it must take a fair amount of effort to prepare for a game day!

I'm glad you had fun! I'm not surprised you won Hordes... I mean, extremely intelligent, weapon using creatures, mentally controlled by wizards? how could you not win? :)

Toriz said...

Iggy:
Yeah, we've been planning it for a couple of months. Some of the games take a lot of planning, others not so much. Will try and get photos for you of some of the other games.

How could I not win Hordes? Simple... The same way I lost last time... By leaving my warlock in the open where he can be torn apart by the enemy easily. That cost me the game with Dad recently.

Rita said...

You play different games than Dagan and Leah do, I think. Altho I know they used to play Warhammer years ago. They're getting ready for ValleyCon, which is a gaming convention here in Fargo that goes on every year sometime around Halloween. Dagan and Leah's group has a suite room and rns games all weekend. Takes a ton of prep work! And they sell refreshments, too. Leah makes up dozens and dozens of pickled eggs--yuck! They sell like crazy!? If they take any pictures this year I will try to remember to get some and post them.

Sounds like a great time! :):)

Toriz said...

Rita:
What games do they play? We play a lot of games, so it could be that I just didn't mention them.

Toriz said...

Rita:
Also, maybe some of our group might like some of the games they play, but haven't heard of them yet?

Rita said...

Sorry it took me a while to get the information. Dagan and Leah have also played Warhammer 40K, but they mostly play games where they make the games up, you know? Dagan loves to construct, invent, and run games ever since he played D&D when he was 10 years old. The ones he's been using the books for lately are Pathfinder, Starwars, and Shadowrun. :)

Toriz said...

Rita:
Sorry, I didn't notice this before... At least one person from the club plays all of those systems. D and D is a very popular one, Star Wars and ShadowRun are growing in popularity in the club, and Pathfinder is a popular one with some people (though I've never played it myself).